e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
December pattern change continued

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're in for one bumpy ride Sam. The final descent into ANC can be a white knuckle affair. So happy for you !!! Have an awesome time, it's the most beautiful state in the union.

Thanks Pete!! I'm excited!

Definitely will not be the smoothest flight of my life... lol

PANC has been one of the most difficult places to forecast for. They get these weird ageostrophic flows..... like 10kt nw winds and S+ while 2000ft up, the winds are se at 80kts. Once in a while those winds mix down and they go from S+ to RASN and a temp of 40F. 15 min later, they are light NW with snow again. That turnagain arm gets demolished.

That's the way things look for Sunday... Actually pretty cool, because my research this summer is on the synoptic patterns supporting high wind events in Anchorage

That's the way things look for Sunday... Actually pretty cool, because my research this summer is on the synoptic patterns supporting high wind events in Anchorage

Have fun up there man, bring the cold and snow back here! :snowman:

P.S. OT, but how the heck do you stay on a plane for that long? I think I'd lose it. :lol:

You'll love it Sam. When I was there in April a storm came asore with 100mph winds, it had a central pressure in the 930's. 50" of snow at elevation.

PANC has been one of the most difficult places to forecast for. They get these weird ageostrophic flows..... like 10kt nw winds and S+ while 2000ft up, the winds are se at 80kts. Once in a while those winds mix down and they go from S+ to RASN and a temp of 40F. 15 min later, they are light NW with snow again. That turnagain arm gets demolished.

I've had the bumpiest flights of my life into and out of ANC. The Turnagain arm is a natural funnel with steep mountains on either side. Here is what it looks like heading south from Anchorage to Girdwood. Everytime I've been there the wind has been ferocious.

Pete, from your experience, what do you think I'll have to deal with for my flight tomorrow? Am I going to be delayed a while in Seattle, or is this something that the pilots have experience with navigating?

I wouldn't worry about the pilots. They won't have any problem landing IF the airport is open. I think you'll be fine.This weather is commonplace. It's why I love Alaska.

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ANCHORAGE...EAGLE RIVER...INDIAN...

EKLUTNA

359 PM AKST SAT DEC 17 2011

...HIGH WIND WARNING IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 1 PM AKST

SUNDAY FOR TURNAGAIN ARM AND THE HILLSIDE...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN ANCHORAGE HAS ISSUED A HIGH WIND

WARNING...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT TONIGHT TO 1 PM AKST

SUNDAY. THE HIGH WIND WATCH IS NO LONGER IN EFFECT.

* LOCATION...WESTERN TURNAGAIN ARM AND THE HILLSIDE.

* WIND...SOUTHEAST WIND 45 TO 60 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 85 MPH.

* TIMING...WINDS WILL INCREASE TO WARNING LEVELS AFTER MIDNIGHT

AND DIMINISH SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

* IMPACTS...TRAVEL MAY BE DIFFICULT. TREES MAY BE BLOWN OVER.

LOOSE DEBRIS CAN BE MOVED AND DAMAGE PROPERTY.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A HIGH WIND WARNING MEANS A HAZARDOUS HIGH WIND EVENT IS EXPECTED

OR OCCURRING. PEOPLE ARE URGED TO SECURE LOOSE OBJECTS THAT COULD

BE BLOWN AROUND OR DAMAGED BY THE WIND.

0zgfs is an absolute torch for the swfe next week, all of ne is torched, hate to see this for ski country, would be a devestating blow to the ski industry if this came to pass closing in on christmas.

Hopefully its wrong but the 12z euro also torched new england next week.

0zgfs is an absolute torch for the swfe next week, all of ne is torched, hate to see this for ski country, would be a devestating blow to the ski industry if this came to pass closing in on christmas.

Hopefully its wrong but the 12z euro also torched new england next week.

That storm mid week is a torch, no debate about it, Christmas eve miracle storm is our last chance until well into 2012.

Ski country disaster. Steve I wish you'd taken my bet on SR being 70% open for that week. This is a disaster for almost certain.

Oh well, at least our heating bills are down.

Its really not going to be that bad... for one it does not look like a big rain producer across NNE (rain seems to stay more in SNE) and the warm up is really only 18-24 hours. All terrain at every ski area is open on man-made snow and that stuff isn't going to take a hit with 24 hours above freezing...its like glacial ice by now after the last rain and now this cold weather (its -3F at the summit, +2F outside my window right now) has locked it up tight.

Now, surface conditions may be another story but it looks like we get plenty of chances to nickel and dime for a week following the mid week storm. NW flow and maybe a couple clippers? NNE will end up with little events like yesterday that put down 2-4" across the northern Green Mtn resorts.

Ski country disaster. Steve I wish you'd taken my bet on SR being 70% open for that week. This is a disaster for almost certain.

LOL, You better stay on the cape. You're right, no ski season this year. Ok, gotta go heading out to ski a bit.....

hopefully the euro has the right idea with that weak follow-up wave late in the week...would at least offer up some mood flakes after we rain.

not counting on it though.

Certainly not good news with the AO heading raging positive along with the NAO on ENS. This tailpipe sucking, toaster bath, CO2 inhaling pattern which established itself has certainly made Dec into a forgetful month. Having said that there is always the rogue chance we can pop a great storm in the midst of a horrible pattern. Seeing Kev hung from a tree this morning is not surprising. The very best Mets here and on other sources have continually stressed how teribble the upper air is for any sustained organized winter. Keep in mind though this is all relative to climo, NNE is entering a very cold climo period, they will and have snowed extremly well in very demoralizing patterns. We all have a chance next week, hopefully things break right in the weather dept. the spirit de corp in here is at an all time low from weather patterns and other reasons, hopefully a nice white surprise will lighten up the room. Scott Messenger Yea looks like SR will not be 70 but damn that snow and conditions from man made sure look purtty this morning.

Archived