• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
December pattern change continued

Typhoon Tip

I'm glad I have 6 mos. old keeping me busy this winter because this thread would be bringing me down if I was able to check in 5x/day.

The pattern is certainly not ideal but there are still small signs of winter being here - the beaver pond out behind the house has close to 1" of ice on it. Snow or no there's still hope for pond skating and ice fishing out this way in the not too distant future. Unless we go full torch...

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm glad I have 6 mos. old keeping me busy this winter because this thread would be bringing me down if I was able to check in 5x/day.

The pattern is certainly not ideal but there are still small signs of winter being here - the beaver pond out behind the house has close to 1" of ice on it. Snow or no there's still hope for pond skating and ice fishing out this way in the not too distant future. Unless we go full torch...

I'm not sold it goes full torcho either but I'm beginning to think that's where this is heading and if it does it could be full blown torch...upper 50s into the 60s.

Wtf folks. Winter comes in with a vengeance cold wise this weekend and people are worried about 3 weeks from now. I'm going on record tht January will be below normal. messenger gets a snow dump and trolls warm. We get a day colder than any single day of the entire winter of 2001-02 and people analog it. The squirrels don't lie.

Wtf folks. Winter comes in with a vengeance cold wise this weekend and people are worried about 3 weeks from now. I'm going on record tht January will be below normal. messenger gets a snow dump and trolls warm. We get a day colder than any single day of the entire winter of 2001-02 and people analog it. The squirrels don't lie.

I am amazed how in the midst of a decent period we have these folks concentrating on 3 weeks away. If you read this board it would never snow 3 days in the future.

I'm with ya brother. It was 6.8 degrees this morning, I skied, guys are ice fishing there is snow in the forecast. It's Winter in my book.But, and most importantly, I had a premonition. We're good.

I'm with ya brother. It was 6.8 degrees this morning, I skied, guys are ice fishing there is snow in the forecast. It's Winter in my book.But, and most importantly, I had a premonition. We're good.

Pete, how much snow is on the ground up there right now? Any good places you could think of to sled in Becket next week when we are up there?

Its 44 degrees in boston right now with a gusty sw wind, wed and thur torch as well, not sure how you could call this a decent period, but I guess compared to the record breaking autumn it is. Hopefully it snows this weekend everywhere in sne.

Well Jerry was talking about this weekend I replied to him in that vein but OK.

You guys have been saying it was going to get cold for a few months...eventually you'll get it right.

By now Boston normally has 6" of snow, it has 1" which came in October. Boston is also running about 5.5 above normal heading into today with a few offsetting warm days in the next few.

So 1/5 of the normal snow and 5+ above normal....sure it HAS to get colder for periods of time.

I'm betting January is at least +3.

It's shameful. It will be sweet revenge when they're crying for Mama.

Like I said and this is no trolling...eventually you guys will be able to claim you were right. In the meantime we've had 2 months of mostly torch with a few fluff events here and there heading into January which many forecasters are saying looks, quacks and walks like a duck.

I mean it's winter it's going to snow eventually, it has to at some point. My bet is we see the change in the 1/10 to 1/20 period.

Like I said and this is no trolling...eventually you guys will be able to claim you were right. In the meantime we've had 2 months of mostly torch with a few fluff events here and there heading into January which many forecasters are saying looks, quacks and walks like a duck.

I mean it's winter it's going to snow eventually, it has to at some point. My bet is we see the change in the 1/10 to 1/20 period.

I was wrong for Dec, fully acknowledge that. What Jerry is saying is good period coming up why piss and moan about Jan?

Its 44 degrees in boston right now with a gusty sw wind, wed and thur torch as well, not sure how you could call this a decent period, but I guess compared to the record breaking autumn it is. Hopefully it snows this weekend everywhere in sne.

It was in the 20s yesterday, it was in the teens this morning, ice is forming on local waterways...we're basically stxarting aout 2-3 weeks late. I'll be really surprised if I don't have snow in my yard by 12/25. Starting Saturday, we entered a period of winter. We will likely see 50+ Thursday. Tomorrow will be chilly again. And Friday-Sunday will be snowy at times. The gradient is sinking south. La ala ala lock it.

I really don't buy LR forecasting. I follow it and more often than not it doesn't verify. I could easily exit December with 40+" notched in the seasonal tally, Winter isn't a sprint it's a marathon. Time will tell but rather than hang my head and say, "Aww shucks, I guess this Winter is going to stink." I prefer to get out and ski and skate and go ice fishing. I don't worry about weather a month out or even 2 weeks out. 5-7 days is what I focus on and the next week looks good with snow threats and cold here. It's possible this Winter is a clunker, it's just as possible magic happens. I believe in magic.

Messenger, you are still going to lose the bet. :P

Every single day I restrict a few more calories in anticipation of going Fat Bast*rd on your wallet all across Boston.

I don't think I'm going to lose, I'm confident at this point in time.

Ginx because it's 12/19...weather 3-4 days away isn't really pattern change talk that should almost be on a thread of its own. The upcoming pattern isn't the short to midrange....it's 10-15 days away which is now January, JMHO. Probably time for a new thread.

I really don't buy LR forecasting. I follow it and more often than not it doesn't verify. I could easily exit December with 40+" notched in the seasonal tally, Winter isn't a sprint it's a marathon. Time will tell but rather than hang my head and say, "Aww shucks, I guess this Winter is going to stink." I prefer to get out and ski and skate and go ice fishing. I don't worry about weather a month out or even 2 weeks out. 5-7 days is what I focus on and the next week looks good with snow threats and cold here. It's possible this Winter is a clunker, it's just as possible magic happens. I believe in magic.

Pete I think it's going to finish very strong. In the end who really cares right? We only had 1 real month of winter last year....I'd rather have Mid-January into March if we have to suffer through right now. Especially if we manage to pull off some snow for Xmas.

When I was a kid I remember the local mets all telling me the first week of February was historically when some of the biggest storms hit us. The last few years it's marked the near end of winter. And as Phil will point out from a Climo standpoint much better for SE MA to have potential snowstorms in January and february.

In a few days a plus 2 departure is still cold enough to snow, heck even +5 with the right conditions. Doesn't make it any less torchy but climo does favor potentials.

Exactly.

Every single day I restrict a few more calories in anticipation of going Fat Bast*rd on your wallet all across Boston.

I don't think I'm going to lose, I'm confident at this point in time.

Ginx because it's 12/19...weather 3-4 days away isn't really pattern change talk that should almost be on a thread of its own. The upcoming pattern isn't the short to midrange....it's 10-15 days away which is now January, JMHO. Probably time for a new thread.

I am so confused, the title says pattern change, just silly without a storm threat to even have this thread. What do we talk about? Pattern change for hours or anything weather, Leave banter to banter about WX related banter, obs. You know hey my ass slid on black ice today.

Unfortunately it's 41 now ..after 9F this morning. Things are still thawing....have to start from scratch again after Thursday.

Long range isn't worth the time... If there is anything remotely interesting to track I confine my interest to within 7-10 days tops.

I only succumb and waste my time here with long range when there is just nothing to track....

What it comes down to in a pattern like this with marginal potential for snow and region wide + departures is that most of SNE is in a semi-torch mode relative to the season. NW Ma. is going to have fair chances at some wintery weather in a pattern like this so you end up with a few of us saying yeah there is ice on the ponds or we picked up a few inches of snow so we can say "it's winter here".

However, still not the "producing winter" we want and when most of the area that we include as SNE on this forum is getting poked by Old Man Winter I try to empathize.

My point is that I want to give you flack for your persistent torch talk but in reality you are absolutely right. Like a good umpire you've got to call it like you see it and until the weather says otherwise this is not a winter that has instilled confidence in most.

COT members aside of course. lol

Archived