Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Stratospheric Warming event on the way?

atmospheric_avenger_normal.png

@BigJoeBastardi Joe Bastardi

Stratwarm event starting in Siberia in about 10 days similar to set up for 1984-1985 winter, but is a 2-3 week precursor to major Us cold

I'm hearing from one or two mets on this board, and also reading on Joe Bastardi's Twitter account that a stratospheric warming event may soon be under way. Is this not often a precursor to a cold outbreak? JB is drawing paralells to 1984-85. Did such a warming event also occur in December 1993, foreshadowing that winter's cold January?

Note that the above link is from JBs public twitter account, not his pay site.

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Weather America Newsletter yesterday mentions this possibility.

http://www.examiner.com/weather-in-houston/weatheramerica-newsletter-saturday-december-10-2011-at-6-30-p-m-ct

"Life After The Storm": Why The Circumpolar Vortex Bodes Ill For Those Hating The Cold!

NOAA/SSD/IMS

NRL

WEATHERAmerica

Environment Canada

Penn State University E-Wall

There are three key features which may or may not impact the longer term outlook. One, of course, is the S FL/Bahamas heat ridge that is forecast to flatten/weaken somewhat. Another is the potential major winter storm (aided by inflow from the Pacific Ocean subtropical jet stream) slated to affect much of the nation through December 21 (see attached image). But the big player in the system is the cAk motherlode, also known as the Circumpolar Vortex. Many of the numerical models have been suggesting that this feature, until recently stuck near the North Pole, may drift and expand southeastward with a core position near Hudson Bay. ..."

Read the rest under the link.

For what it's worth, Brett Anderson of accuweather thinks parts of the NE US could be in for one of the top 10 warmest Decembers on record. He sees no sustained cold in the east right into the new year. Mind you, that guys seems to be married to the Euro. With JB gone, accuweather does seem to be more on to the AGW bandwagon.

http://twitter.com/BrettAWX

Look at the past few ECMWF monthly forecasts and the current pattern; +NAO and when it tries to go negative the pattern is all wrong for cold and snow over the coastal northeast. It took to today before NYC saw sub freezing temperatures. I do not see any true winter weather for the I=95 for quite a while.

Houston beat NYC to a freeze? I think it was 2008 we beat DC for snow. But it could have been 2009. Or both...

I think thats a portion of it, it's hard to miss his rhetoric there IMHO.

And yeah alot of forecasters seem to base predictions off the long range Euro. Not that it has no skill but once out to 4 weeks and beyond the bust potential skyrockets.

Haven't followed JB since AccuWeather, he was no fan of AGW, and he trusted the Euro, even the weeklies, over and above any US model.

Hype, IMO, regarding the SSW...there's no indication yet, and it usually takes several waves to do the job. There's possibly some wave 1 action past day 7 from a possible asian MT event, but EP flux probably won't be that favorable... but it may set up the table for more interesting things further in the future, as the strat PV might be slightly disturbed. Overall we are probably leaving the record cold stratosphere levels, and a a decrease of the +AO to more neutral levels is what I expect for the 2nd half of December.

You would probably like to read one of these discussions before you get too excited...

PRELIMINARY EXTENDED FORECAST DISCUSSION

NWS HYDROMETEOROLOGICAL PREDICTION CENTER CAMP SPRINGS MD

343 AM EST TUE JAN 31 2006

VALID 12Z SAT FEB 04 2006 - 12Z TUE FEB 07 2006

GLOBAL MODELS INDICATE A SCENARIO WHEREBY POSITIVE HT ANOMALIES

SPREAD FROM THE POLE INTO THE FAR NORTH ATL/ERN CANADA OVER THE

FIRST HALF OF THE MEDIUM RANGE PD...CAUSING AS A LARGE NEG HT

ANOMALY OVER THE BERING SEA TO SLOWLY SLIDE WWD. IN THE DAYS THAT

FOLLOW...BLOCKING OVER THE NORTH ATL SECTOR WILL RESULT IN A MEAN

RETGROGRESSION OF THE PATTERN WILL AT HIGH LATITUDES...WITH HTS

EVENTUALLY BUILDING OVER WRN NOAM LATE IN THE PD. THIS EVOLVING

PATTERN WILL SIGNAL A MAJOR TRANSITION TO THE WX PATTERN OVER

NORTH AMERICA...DUE IN LARGE PART TO THE MAJOR SUDDEN

STRATOSPHERIC WARMING EVENT THAT OCCURRED ON 12 JANUARY.

INCIDENTALLY...THIS SUDDEN WARMING WAS ONE OF THE STRONGEST IN THE

OPERATIONAL RECORD SINCE 1979.

The euro ensembles do try and get a pretty good 10mb warming event over the N-Pole after d10. Now I don't know if this will be a classic examples of models rushing it and it gets pushed back, but just stating what it shows. As to what could be causing it....if anyone has any answers or solar flux charts...fire away. I'm also not sure if we need to be looking at where these anomalies need to be occurring. My guess is yes and per Gibbs...some of the looks of 10mb warming that occurred further south near 60N still has a warm look for another few weeks.

Archived