Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Stratospheric Warming event on the way?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And if the 12Z GFS is right, we're gonna get it big time in February.

Despite the big players not being statistically favorable for a breakdown, the frequency and intensity of remote wave breaking this year is noteworthy. This was something predicted to happen this year and the potential for a MMW is certainly higher than normal from this.

But where will the cold get directed?

Despite the big players not being statistically favorable for a breakdown, the frequency and intensity of remote wave breaking this year is noteworthy. This was something predicted to happen this year and the potential for a MMW is certainly higher than normal from this.

Wherever it is at the time, but farther south and more expansive.

I noticed it as well ... our best chances for cold would be for a wave 2 configuration/vortex split ... but as you alluded before, that's a rare phenomenon with a neg QBO/relative solar min come February... the clock is ticking.

It is unfortunate that our data is lacking in this department because the theories are sound and it makes sense. I know the last two years were quite extreme with the SAO but it would be nice to have some sort of index derived from these winds to see how strong a particular zonal state is behaving.

Between the SAO extended, westerly QBO and active sun, it is no wonder we had an extended autumn this year.

Do you still believe we'll have a true MMU in late Jan to early February? Regardless of your answer, can you tell me you reasoning?

atmospheric_avenger_normal.png

@BigJoeBastardi Joe Bastardi

Stratwarm event starting in Siberia in about 10 days similar to set up for 1984-1985 winter, but is a 2-3 week precursor to major Us cold

I'm hearing from one or two mets on this board, and also reading on Joe Bastardi's Twitter account that a stratospheric warming event may soon be under way. Is this not often a precursor to a cold outbreak? JB is drawing paralells to 1984-85. Did such a warming event also occur in December 1993, foreshadowing that winter's cold January?

Note that the above link is from JBs public twitter account, not his pay site.

....almost 7 weeks later

:lmao:

Archived