Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Stratospheric Warming event on the way?

• Replies 404
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So I see we are in the path of 2 CMEs forecasted to arrive Dec. 28. What's the school of thought on these in relation to the stratosphere and weather?

Looks like we will continue to see impacts through tomorrow with another TSI peak. There was an elevated proton flux a few days ago which certainly doesn't help in warming the stratosphere.

This activity will wane through early January a bit, reaching a minimum somewhere ~ 1/8. Between this and the recent warming, I think the warm anomaly that develops over the Pole is legitimate on the ensembles. I suspect the AO will dip lower than the last relative min in the solar activity mid-Dec.

Looks like we will continue to see impacts through tomorrow with another TSI peak. There was an elevated proton flux a few days ago which certainly doesn't help in warming the stratosphere.

This activity will wane through early January a bit, reaching a minimum somewhere ~ 1/8. Between this and the recent warming, I think the warm anomaly that develops over the Pole is legitimate on the ensembles. I suspect the AO will dip lower than the last relative min in the solar activity mid-Dec.

Thanks for answering! So what is the though process on this? That the solar wind excites the ozone in turn raising the temperature since it induces a higher speed and higher KE to the molecules?

Thanks for answering! So what is the though process on this? That the solar wind excites the ozone in turn raising the temperature since it induces a higher speed and higher KE to the molecules?

This is still an area in its infancy of theorizing. There are some notable and awesome correlations that exist with the solar cycle and climate variables. However, they lack good modeling and theory.

One possible way the solar wind / particles modulate the Tropics is high up above 10 hpa. There is a statistically significant correlation (but small data set) that exists with solar activity and the zonal winds at this level (strongest signal at 1 hpa / stratopause). High energized particles may possibly increase the +u winds here which ultimately propagate toward the pole, enhancing the +AO regime (opposite scenario when -u winds propagate). There is also a correlation in the lower Tropics with how it interacts with the QBO to produce zonal wind anomalies across the North Pacific, promoting an Aleutian High. A more direct correlation is the modulation of ozone, as you have expressed, which can actually exist even in the Tropics too. Despite the relatively small amounts of ozone here, it appears the slightest change may actually affect circulations in our barotropic atmosphere.

after a few days off for the holidays, the new progs are picking up on another warming attempt/event at 30mb (much more noticable at 10-20mb I would add)

day 8

http://wekuw.met.fu-...st=f192&lng=eng

day 9

http://wekuw.met.fu-...st=f216&lng=eng

day 10

http://wekuw.met.fu-...st=f240&lng=eng

Often times these warming events come in pulses/episodes, and this occurring right now bodes well for the AO regime being potentially negative from mid jan through feb.

I just ran the Mean GWO custom model made in fortran, and the signal had 7 analogs all had +Torque for December... I don't think that would be a bad assumption at all.

I'm so jealous that you can derive analogs for the GWO, great tool I bet! I would be in heaven if I was able to generate analogs for the MJO and GWO or pretty much any signal!

I'm so jealous that you can derive analogs for the GWO, great tool I bet! I would be in heaven if I was able to generate analogs for the MJO and GWO or pretty much any signal!

It took awhile to write up actually because of the octants, polar coordinates, and multiple arctan boundings. It's a great tool & fun for mets who love 30-90 day forecasting, but in it's infancy/expirimental, it deals with all the gwo daily data set from 1958 to now... Fun Times, I know where your coming from...

It took awhile to write up actually because of the octants, polar coordinates, and multiple arctan boundings. It's a great tool & fun for mets who love 30-90 day forecasting, but in it's infancy/expirimental, it deals with all the gwo daily data set from 1958 to now... Fun Times, I know where your coming from...

I'm sure it will happen one day but it would be great to pull analogs with the parameters classified by order of the GWO, ENSO and AO for one example

I'm sure it will happen one day but it would be great to pull analogs with the parameters classified by order of the GWO, ENSO and AO for one example

Monthly MEI (Actual ENSO State Nino/Nina Weak/Mod/Strong) is already integrated into it, working on the AO part of it. As a matter of fact, using the GWO. There is a variable called Atmospheric ENSO-Base STATE, 4 classifications, certain phases and octants entail - or + Torque events and La Nina/El Nino base states...

Monthly MEI (Actual ENSO State Nino/Nina Weak/Mod/Strong) is already integrated into it, working on the AO part of it. As a matter of fact, using the GWO. There is a variable called Atmospheric ENSO-Base STATE, 4 classifications, certain phases and octants entail - or + Torque events and La Nina/El Nino base states...

Amazing! Great work, hope to see it in action someday!

Euro ensembles also show another pretty nice warming event at 50mb starting in nrn Canada and then building east towards the Davis straits. This wave pushes the coldest air well into Asia this time.

Dave aka DT mentioned that the Euro ensembles by day 12 to 15 destroy the +AO with the SSW... agree?

Oh I know lol. I was just wondering if the gist of what he said was right

The Euro ensemble does indeed show the polar vortex splitting at 50mb. Which in and of itself doesn't mean it is a SSW nor does it mean that we'll definitely go to a -AO. But hey, when your readers want an ***ALERT*** you gotta give them an an ***ALERT***

The Euro ensemble does indeed show the polar vortex splitting at 50mb. Which in and of itself doesn't mean it is a SSW nor does it mean that we'll definitely go to a -AO. But hey, when your readers want an ***ALERT*** you gotta give them an an ***ALERT***

Does it show a negative Nao without that, we south of 4o it will still be a struggle, better than it was because there will be more cold air around but the shots will still tend to come and go with the storm track usually to out n.

Archived