e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Thursday Wintry Threat II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm going to have to face my daughters' disappointment. She had planned a 'midnight snow party' for us last night. She had made invitations, etc. Of course, I wasn't going to wake her--nor myself--for such a thing, but just the same.

So nothing fell? The west slopes must have gobbled up the cold and maybe a little moisture. Well I warned Pete I might have been generous....lol.

Mangled flakes mixing in now.

So nothing fell? The west slopes must have gobbled up the cold and maybe a little moisture. Well I warned Pete I might have been generous....lol.

Mangled flakes mixing in now.

He had reported snow earlier in the night in the obs thread, so he ended up picking up some.

When did the precip wind don here? My alarm went off a 4:10, by the time I got down here at 4:30, the skies had mostly cleared.

Oh--I can record a "T".

The quest for dendrites continues.

It hasn't stopped in Boston yet, has it????

You know it's a bad turn of events when you wake up early to see how much snow came overnight and instead you see that you're under a flood warning. lol

Flood Warning

FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TAUNTON MA

427 AM EST THU DEC 8 2011

MAC011-013-015-081330-

/O.NEW.KBOX.FA.W.0024.111208T0927Z-111208T1330Z/

/00000.0.ER.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.000000T0000Z.OO/

FRANKLIN MA-HAMPSHIRE MA-HAMPDEN MA-

427 AM EST THU DEC 8 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN TAUNTON HAS ISSUED A

* FLOOD WARNING FOR URBAN AREAS AND SMALL STREAMS IN...

FRANKLIN COUNTY IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF GREENFIELD...

HAMPDEN COUNTY IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...SPRINGFIELD...CHICOPEE...

HAMPSHIRE COUNTY IN WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS...

THIS INCLUDES THE CITIES OF...NORTHAMPTON...AMHERST...

* UNTIL 830 AM EST

* AT 426 AM EST THE MILL RIVER AT MILL RIVER ROSE ABOVE FLOOD STAGE.

AND WAS CONTINUING TO RISE SLOWLY.

* AT THIS TIME ONLY THE MILL RIVER AT MILL RIVER IS KNOWN TO BE

ABOVE FLOOD STAGE. HOWEVER OTHER SMALL STREAMS IN WESTERN

MASSACHUSETTS WILL LIKELY RISE ABOVE THEIR BANKS IN THE NEXT FEW

HOURS.

Looks like an inch//maybe a smidge under..Had some wild thundersnow last night and a rumble that absolutley shook the house. Kids woke up screaming. Winds were ripping for about an hour. It was wild. Off for a snowy run. Prob only one in December

There were some strikes west of you...a bunch.

Looks like an inch//maybe a smidge under..Had some wild thundersnow last night and a rumble that absolutley shook the house. Kids woke up screaming. Winds were ripping for about an hour. It was wild. Off for a snowy run. Prob only one in December

Was it one of those deep low rolling sounds? Sometimes you hear that with an inversion if that strike was kind of far.

I went for a brief spin....absolutely nothing below 600 feet. 600 feet was the cutoff. We got 0.9" here on winter hill at over 900 feet but I bet ORH comes in with a trace...or 0.2" because it was sideways snow. And they never measure anything in those type of events.

600 feet was the cutoff when I stopped seeing car tops coated.

After my wife/daughter come down, I'll take a quick drive to 1300' . It's only a mile from the Pit, but it may say something about the impact of elevation in relation to long/lat. Or maybe it won't. smile.png

Really curious why my anemoemet has stopped reporting.

29.8./25

Did you really get a trace?

I would have thought you were good for 2-3"...def more than my 0.9" that I got.

I went for a brief spin....absolutely nothing below 600 feet. 600 feet was the cutoff. We got 0.9" here on winter hill at over 900 feet but I bet ORH comes in with a trace...or 0.2" because it was sideways snow. And they never measure anything in those type of events.

600 feet was the cutoff when I stopped seeing car tops coated.

About 0.3" here at 675' in Stafford Springs. I was wondering what might have happened higher up and I guess that answers that question. Should be an interesting ride to work...I go up over 1000' and then down to practically sea level by the CT River.

Winds doing pretty good here...temps down to 31 (29 at 1200').

Archived