• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Late November/Early December disco on the upcoming pattern

CoastalWx

The pattern overall absolutely stinks for sustained cold...the Euro hates the EPO ridge..it disintegrates it very fast. The ensembles did it too at 12z. This screams transient cold.

Narrow bands of cold air when the trough swings through only to be replaced by PAC puke shortly after like we often see in terrible patterns. Hopefully the ensembles are correct in keeping a bit of a PNA ridge, because if they don't, then we are staring directly in the face of a pattern that resembles many a horrific December. I'm not ready to call it that yet, but I am certainly weary.

00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH168.gif

00zECMWFENS500mbHeightAnomalyNH240.gif

The Pacific worsens and the Atlantic improves. Overall I agree with Will re the sustainability based on the overall guidance. Squirrels....don't let me down!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

00zecmwfenshourly850mbTempAnomalyNA240.gif

Cold centered in the midsection ala 2000....

1996-97 was another one that came to mind, that trough just refused to ever setup shop any further east than about where the above map has it, or slightly more west than that. The anomalies that winter were +5 in central PA and NY but more or less normal by the time you reached Chicago.

The euro ensembles kind of continue that concern I explained about a day ago. They really lower heights all over western NAMR and the EPO ridge backs off like a scared turtle. They pump up the se ridge a bit too.

I think we'll have a couple of chances, but we may have the risk of milder solutions too, as illustrated by the euro op. I continue to be pretty meh about the pattern until proven otherwise.

Edit, the 12z runs did it yesterday.

I saw 2 squirrels making sweet love followed by the observation that they were unbelievably fat. I took it as a sign from above and flipped. I'm not kidding!

what do you make of the reports that there is an acorn shortage this year?

could the fat squirrel theory be a false positive in a year of an acorn shortage i.e. rather than fatten up to prepare for a harsh winter, they sensed the shortage and ate whatever they could get their tiny little paws on - so many variables to consider. thanks for sharing your thoughts

what do you make of the reports that there is an acorn shortage this year?

could the fat squirrel theory be a false positive in a year of an acorn shortage i.e. rather than fatten up to prepare for a harsh winter, they sensed the shortage and ate whatever they could get their tiny little paws on - so many variables to consider. thanks for sharing your thoughts

A good theory. But I never paid attention t those details. Yet the fat squirrel signal has never let me down. Remember, it's a snow signal so if we get a 1993 esque flip it will be mild until around 12/25-30.

I see the overnight crew broke it down. Not much more to add...I haven't been excited about the overall pattern and nothing has changed. I'm actually a little disappointed in the overnight runs. I got a little more encouraged yesterday, as it seemed maybe we could get some ridging in the NAO region, but that may not happen.

The cold does try to dump in here, but it seems like we our having trouble getting the PV far south into Canada, unlike the past Ninas. The GOA ridge does dump a shot of cold in here, but the problem is that it backs off and we have a leftover southwest US trough. As the ridge backs off, the se ridge builds a little and the flow overt the US now becomes a little more zonal. That starts to introduce more PAC taint. We are also now at the mercy of milder solutions without a good PV and good cold air.

It doesn't mean we won't have chances...we might and probably will for some areas, but I think the first half of December has a good shot of being above normal.

Archived