Newest Member
    CHSVol
Late November/Early December disco on the upcoming pattern

CoastalWx

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Per twitter

Out of the 3710 forecasts made since October 2006, GFS just uncorked its worst 5-day score verifying at 00z November 30, 2011.

upper level low bust might have had something to do with it. Anomaly correlation of 0.55 at Day 5 in the NH..absolutely awful...significantly worse than the climo model.

cor_day5_HGT_P500_G2NHX_00Z.png

LOL what the hell happened in here? Somebody needs to post the Suicide hotline number STAT. Will, Phil, Scooter and Ryan have been posting the same stuff for weeks, if you read and looked at the pattern it was obvious the beginning of December was not going to be mid 20s and snow, ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ANYWAYS. In 5 years I have never seen SNE have a collective meltdown like this, there are a couple chances for some light snow, its cooling down now and even though its above normal it will feel frigid and more like the holidays. Next week might get close to normal, and we roll the dice around the holidays, and hope a normal winter pattern can set in for JFM..............

This Historical heat of MET autumn 2011 is now over, mission accomplished, its time for snow, it will be here soon enough, until then mow the lawn, rake the leaves and enjoy another perfect late fall day.

One day till Winter!!:snowman: :snowman:

The good news is that with the global regime that we heading into, I can't imagine too many dead ratters over the course of the next couple of decades, so if worse comes to worst...we just have to get this outta the way. Scooter would be able to sleep better at night.

We are sort of due for a dead ratter. By no means am I saying this is it....I'm just saying we should expect it sooner rather than later.

I wish I could post EC ensembles stuff without the ECMWF.int secret service breaking down my door, but the pattern at the end of the run stinks. We'll see how the next 2-3 days look and if it is continued. This has been a trend over the last few runs.

I agree :) ..but you might make another run at the 60's early next week there.

:sun:

LOL what the hell happened in here? Somebody needs to post the Suicide hotline number STAT. Will, Phil, Scooter and Ryan have been posting the same stuff for weeks, if you read and looked at the pattern it was obvious the beginning of December was not going to be mid 20s and snow, ITS NOT SUPPOSED TO BE ANYWAYS. In 5 years I have never seen SNE have a collective meltdown like this, there are a couple chances for some light snow, its cooling down now and even though its above normal it will feel frigid and more like the holidays. Next week might get close to normal, and we roll the dice around the holidays, and hope a normal winter pattern can set in for JFM..............

This Historical heat of MET autumn 2011 is now over, mission accomplished, its time for snow, it will be here soon enough, until then mow the lawn, rake the leaves and enjoy another perfect late fall day.

One day till Winter!!:snowman: :snowman:

We are sort of due for a dead ratter. By no means am I saying this is it....I'm just saying we should expect it sooner rather than later.

I wish I could post EC ensembles stuff without the ECMWF.int secret service breaking down my door, but the pattern at the end of the run stinks. We'll see how the next 2-3 days look and if it is continued. This has been a trend over the last few runs.

For the weenies sanity it's a good thing we can't.

They're awful.

At this point I'm just hoping N VT gets some snow and enough cold to make snow.

December 1999 must have been horrible like this. I remember I had to go to Tremblant in the days before the Millennium to x country ski (at the National Park..not downhill place). It was miserably mild that holiday period down here. There's always the Laurentians if all else fails.

For the weenies sanity it's a good thing we can't.

They're awful.

At this point I'm just hoping N VT gets some snow and enough cold to make snow.

lol I see another round of mass suicides last night.

...while the Euro continues to demonstrate two significant storm threats, and the 06z GFS for the first time is showing multiple opportunities as well.

I know the pattern isn't favorable for steady solutions, but it's pretty clear that we have the cold air coming, and tons of energy pouring southward. Given the right timing with s/w interaction, things could turn out pretty well for us

Hah ....No suicide induced here because I'm probably far enough west for some snow from the wacky Euro cutoff, but as others have said that was probably a nonsense run.

...while the Euro continues to demonstrate two significant storm threats, and the 06z GFS for the first time is showing multiple opportunities as well.

I know the pattern isn't favorable for steady solutions, but it's pretty clear that we have the cold air coming, and tons of energy pouring southward. Given the right timing with s/w interaction, things could turn out pretty well for us

Never a good sign when I'm one of the most optimistic people around.

The spread on the GFSENS yesterday (and a consistent theme of the euro) showed the potential for the low in the SW to hang back and take on a positive tilt. Last nights runs take this further. That sort of thing might work ok for the Dacks and NW elevated areas of New England but not for most of us.

The impetus for DTs second cold shot (12/10?) I guess must be the idea of a surface low moving from off the west coast of Alaska to near Hudson bay, with seasonably strong HP behind it, directing low level cold air toward the north central US and hopefully helping kick the SE ridge axis east a bit. Even still, would it be able to get snow chances more than say 50-75 miles SE from 12/6? Probably deserve a weenie for speculating about tracks at this range, but I'm plagued by the thought that we are in a stingy step-down pattern, with only small gains between successive events.

The good news is that with the global regime that we heading into, I can't imagine too many dead ratters over the course of the next couple of decades, so if worse comes to worst...we just have to get this outta the way. Scooter would be able to sleep better at night.

I'm with you on October snows. Measurable snow at BOS prior to 11/1 does not correlate well. For the 5 times there has been measurable snow at BOS, all 5 have been below normal snow years. Most just a bit below but below nonetheless. 1979-80 was an unmitigated dead ratter with 12.7.

Archived