• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Late November/Early December disco on the upcoming pattern

CoastalWx

yeah its terrible. if there is a real storm (not an anafrontal deal), it will be too far west for here also as shown in the pattern shown by the GFS.

maybe ottawa may have a chance. ottawa needs to cool down and get some snow on the ground.

if that doesnt happen, there is no chance for sustained winter to the S and E aside from thread the needles and transient cooldowns, caveat: unless there is a big neg AO.

Sam's snowfalll anomlay map from last night really illustrated that problem nicely.

The atlantic ridge is killing us now for this next event around the 6th, The only hope i hold out its the GFS and still out there, Will wait to see a few more days of runs, Especially the Euro before completly writing it off..

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ultimately though this SE Ridge might be a big friend to you guys in YUL and YOW. :) Perhaps a bit early, but as time goes on.....

yeah its terrible. if there is a real storm (not an anafrontal deal), it will be too far west for here also as shown in the pattern shown by the GFS.

maybe ottawa may have a chance. ottawa needs to cool down and get some snow on the ground.

if that doesnt happen, there is no chance for sustained winter to the S and E aside from thread the needles and transient cooldowns, caveat: unless there is a big neg AO.

Sam's snowfalll anomlay map from last night really illustrated that problem nicely.

Ensembles look way less bleak through d7...way better...looks like the warmth is truncated and the cold may be the real deal. The Simard Slammer is on 12/6.

I have little faith in either the GFS or its ensembles.

That said they're showing snow with what must be some members showing either the UL involvement or an actual surface low somewhere nearby.

And I'd already put the lobster plastic blocker around my neck....

Owing to my location IVOF the Cordillera here.... I'm actually having a "reasonable" day here temp-wise. It has fallen back to 42 degrees under ovc skies.

I have little faith in either the GFS or its ensembles.

That said they're showing snow with what must be some members showing either the UL involvement or an actual surface low somewhere nearby.

And I'd already put the lobster plastic blocker around my neck....

GFS ensembles look better than the op run. That's not saying much though lol.

They are still bullish with the ridge in AK. That's the difference between them and the EC ensembles that I mentioned earlier. I don't have a lot of faith in them beyond hr 300, but even a compromise between the EC and GEFS would be better. I still have to tip my cap to the EC ensembles in terms of confidence, but that doesn't mean they are totally correct....although they are the better ensemble.

Ultimately though this SE Ridge might be a big friend to you guys in YUL and YOW. :) Perhaps a bit early, but as time goes on.....

not so sure about that Rick. if that EPO doesnt cooperate, it could be a write off here as well IMO. right now the pattern is terrible for all locations to the SE of the canadian shield....to the East, not so sure.

i can tell you from past experience that the Shield can be the delinating point for the has beens and have nots. you will often see this as the storm track in winter for true lake cutters. thats why ottawa which is on the S side of the shield, represents the point at which cold air needs to establish itself, and from there it can press S and E.

ive mentioned it before, historically we dont do well in warm falls in Nina winters. Ottawa Blizzard has the data on that.

we'll see what happens, its still early.

I guess that kinda happened in that 1998 ice storm.... Tremblant had a big dump of all snow (or close to it) and Montreal all that ice ....

Cool map ..and it shows that little adjunct of the Canadian shield that is the Adirondacks. I'm only about 30 miles from the edge of that.

not so sure about that Rick. if that EPO doesnt cooperate, it could be a write off here as well IMO. right now the pattern is terrible for all locations to the SE of the canadian shield....to the East, not so sure.

i can tell you from past experience that the Shield can be the delinating point for the has beens and have nots. you will often see this as the storm track in winter for true lake cutters. thats why ottawa which is on the S side of the shield, represents the point at which cold air needs to establish itself, and from there it can press S and E.

ive mentioned it before, historically we dont do well in warm falls in Nina winters. Ottawa Blizzard has the data on that.

we'll see what happens, its still early.

I guess that kinda happened in that 1998 ice storm.... Tremblant had a big dump of all snow (or close to it) and Montreal all that ice ....

Cool map ..and it shows that little adjunct of the Canadian shield that is the Adirondacks. I'm only about 30 miles from the edge of that.

yes, thats a great example.

and the extension into the adirondacks is definitely a cool feature.

I'm going to step back, spend time with family, enjoy my good health and celebrate. The weather will do whatever it does. This hobby is too obsessional.

I learned that lesson many years ago and don't let things get to me. You need to enjoy what you have...wishing and stretching are not going to change it. I'd love some cold and snow as much as anyone else but I don't have it and can't make it happen. I know one thing....this has been a remarkable year for weather and years from now I can look back and think of highlights. I know I'm not going to focus this pattern that we're in.

Archived