CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the euro in the long range has been changing every run... the clipper the gfs has the euro has nothing...both models in the long range dictate a gradient like pattern which looks like we may be on the wrong side of...it all depends where that pv drops, if its western canada kiss any snow chances good bye. The return of the ak vortex without any blocking that most models show us reverting back to is basically the kiss of death for us in terms of cold and snow.

Pete might luck out in the transition phase events because of his location and altitude. Its a tough winter when someone living in the Poconos is on the edge.

Pete might luck out in the transition phase events because of his location and altitude. Its a tough winter when someone living in the Poconos is on the edge.

Thanks for the response yesterday...very informative....I hope it did not come off like I was calling people out.....just interesting how adam called the bluff.....

Thanks for the response yesterday...very informative....I hope it did not come off like I was calling people out.....just interesting how adam called the bluff.....

Adam has come on quite strong with long term outlooks. He, Wes & Don Sutherland would make a very formidable forecasting team. I didn't view anything you posted as calling anyone out.

It's a pretty good recipe for a torch even into New England. Higher than normal heights to the east and northeast creating ruler flow from sw-ne and not allowing good cold to penetrate south. Upper low retros into the GOA and PAC firehose floods the US with warmth. Only thing that would save us is any sip in the jet from some sort of transient ridge allowing for cold to dip into this area and overrunning type precip.

Anyone wanna discuss the snow squalls with the arctic front later this week?

yes ralph I'm waiting to hear people talk about that too from what I hear they could be like severe thunderstorms . I also hear temps will be crashing from 40 to mid 20s in the matter of an hour. With 1 to 2 inches possible in the lehigh valley and poconos

It's going to be in the 40's ahead of the front Thursday night. It'll be gusty showers that might end as snow on the back end up to our north. You aren't getting "severe thunderstorms" in this setup...it's a good ol' fashioned cold front.

1" of snow possible, yes. Severe thunderstorms, naso much.

It's going to be in the 40's ahead of the front Thursday night. It'll be gusty showers that might end as snow on the back end up to our north. You aren't getting "severe thunderstorms" in this setup...it's a good ol' fashioned cold front.

If this pattern holds long enough with these types of storm tracks, I could be one happy filmer of thunderstorms in the coming months.

This. The forecast soundings as they are right now really don't offer much below the Poconos. Very windy on Friday.

Some JB quotes from today...he has a forecast # of 9 degrees for NYC on Monday AM....he doesn't see it in the models....

"Now that the cold is around, the linkage is quicker, on the order of 10-20 days. The warming coming for the day 11-20 period should flip back, probably stronger and longer as this is in the more classic position. That means the ridge you see that develops over the northwest atlantic while it will do its dirty work, should pull north with time and allow a new and stronger mean trough position over the east day 21-40.

But there is a cooling that has gone on, and now its a no hold source region pattern and we are going to see a demonstration of how source regions work

Its kind of a shame that the warmth coming is ruining the next 10 days. I mean we have an underforecasted arctic shot coming into the northeast Sunday and Monday and I have 9 as the number in the park,. The 06z GFS supported me, the 12z is saying I AM TOO WARM for instance. This was outlined last week, how these troughs work. Of course we have 3 separate snow events, the interior mtn northeast one first and then the trough itself which will produce the snows in the midwest and lakes, and the Appalachians as it swings through and with it a sharp turn to colder. The of course, if we get the day 9 euro to work, look out.

I am fired up about Monday morning since while all the nations from the plains east is turning colder, I think people are really missing the boat on the classic "How does it get so Cold in New England" scenario , and this was outlined as something to look for last week.

But look here is the upcoming 10 day highlight, and again, from Portland to Portland, its going to get frigid. and with warmth coming out further south, we have a major wild fight pattern setting up."

With apologies to cold lovers out there, cold, dry weather in between mild-temperature rainstorms is really annoying. Let's bring on some severe wx and torchy temps because I am so done with this "winter".

Though no snow is a bummer, I'm okay with the ground hardening up this weekend. I've got to get my truck

into some people's yards for firewood deliveries. I'd rather not leave ruts.

Reading Don's post in the main forum - it looks we have to wait for March to rock...

Though no snow is a bummer, I'm okay with the ground hardening up this weekend. I've got to get my truck

into some people's yards for firewood deliveries. I'd rather not leave ruts.

Reading Don's post in the main forum - it looks we have to wait for March to rock...

A vehiicle in my backyard would result in this.........

131_0607_01_z+1979_ford_truck+passenger_side_view_%20mud.jpg

Well, that's one way to look at it.

Even though Central Park mins are all about advection growing up in NYC I don't recall too many single digit mins without snow on the ground. Nick Stefano told me in Wantage (NW Sussex NJ) its even rare for him to get below zero without snow on the ground. If I'm wrong (again) I'll fess up on mon/tue.

Even though Central Park mins are all about advection growing up in NYC I don't recall too many single digit mins without snow on the ground. Nick Stefano told me in Wantage (NW Sussex NJ) its even rare for him to get below zero without snow on the ground. If I'm wrong (again) I'll fess up on mon/tue.

I don't know enough about the climate of KNYC to comment intelligently. I actually don't have much of a problem with what he posted in terms of the actual weather. My post was more about how he decided to frame his forecast. I know I'm a "warminista," but to me, the biggest weather story in the next two weeks is the exceptionally warm temps showing up in Week 2, not the transient cold this weekend or late next week.

I don't know enough about the climate of KNYC to comment intelligently. I actually don't have much of a problem with what he posted in terms of the actual weather. My post was more about how he decided to frame his forecast. I know I'm a "warminista," but to me, the biggest weather story in the next two weeks is the exceptionally warm temps showing up in Week 2, not the transient cold this weekend or late next week.

But that can't be the most important story. I myself can't really comment specifically on the New England aspect, would agree whatever happens in NYC it should be relative to normal colder there.

Archived