12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Happy New Year, everyone. Back at the grind today.

Looks like a rollercoaster pattern is shaping up for January. This quickie cold shot will be followed by warmth for about 5 days, then we get another cool shot in the Jan 10-15 timeframe, followed by a re-establishment of the SE ridge towards the end of the month.

After that, it gets interesting. The polar vortex is going to be taking a few body blows over the next few weeks. When IO convection and associated Himalayan mountain torque gets going again around Jan 20, we could see a full on assault on the PV. If, and it's a big if, the Rossby waves generated by the MT land a knockout blow on the PV, we could see a SSW around Feb 1, which would lead to -AO/-NAO for most of February. I'm not forecasting that yet, but it's on the table.

In the mean time, the only help we'll get from the tropics is in the IO. Don't expect the MJO to make it into 8-1-2 any time over the next month, with the Walker Circulation dominating any MJO influence near the dateline.

The euro ensembles really have a nice 50mb warming developing near AK and then moving east by mid month. It's really come on pretty strong on guidance, and could be related to what you described above.

The euro ensembles really have a nice 50mb warming developing near AK and then moving east by mid month. It's really come on pretty strong on guidance, and could be related to what you described above.

You can see the -U momentum flux showing up strongly here at D10 in the Euro ops. This is one of the "body blows" I was talking about.

RaoAF.gif

You saw what happened with the IO convection around Christmas (which is related to the current cool down in the East). I expect something similar to happen at the end of January, only with a substantially weaker PV to start.

You can see the -U momentum flux showing up strongly here at D10 in the Euro ops. This is one of the "body blows" I was talking about.

RaoAF.gif

You saw what happened with the IO convection around Christmas (which is related to the current cool down in the East). I expect something similar to happen at the end of January, only with a substantially weaker PV to start.

It's been pretty cool to watch all this unfold. Kind of a learning experience for me as far as the mtn torque processes go, but it will be great to see if all this can actually deliver the blow to Ivan Drago up there by the North Pole. Since we've had little in the way of winter threats, I've taken this time to try and understand some of the long range stuff.....I figure why not since it's so quiet..lol.

For the snow lovers out there: the 12Z GFS has a few storms for northern DE, southern NJ, and SEPA through hour 384, but they look to be all or mostly rain. The NCEP maps don't illustrate surface temps so I'm just looking at 850's and precip.

The NCEP maps have 2M temps which are more or less surface temps. Click on the link: 10m_wind_precip in the surface parameters section and you will get them.

his January 07 comments are so lolworthy. We were in the 70's the first half of January...the pattern the first week-10 days of this January is nowhere near that. We'll be mild later in the week but we've been inching towards a colder pattern with this week's cold shot and the one day shot we had last week.

DT on facebook: *** ALERT *** 12z GFS and EURO both agree on MAJOR PATTERN CHANGE coming for Mid January . Both Models shows large scale cold air / possibly arctic air mass outbreaks by Day 9-10 over entire eastern half of the CONUS.. not 2 or 3 day shots but some serious WHAMMO!!!

Looks like a rollercoaster pattern is shaping up for January. This quickie cold shot will be followed by warmth for about 5 days, then we get another cool shot in the Jan 10-15 timeframe, followed by a re-establishment of the SE ridge towards the end of the month.

This looks like it will be delayed a few days, but with the way the AAM is spiking right now, I wouldn't be surprised to see a decent storm somewhere in the East (not necessarily a coastal) right around the 15th.

Hr 165ish on the 12z GFS has a 985mb low over the Chesapeake for next week. All rain.. Soo much for deepening and "creating" it's own cold air. There is such a disconnect from the polar jet.

Both the Euro and GFS are suggesting a soaker next week. After that it looks like cold may take over for a while.

Archived