Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When HM speaks, I listen...

Wow, someone is going to be wrong about that week. If the MJO can keeping going, I'd be more optimistic toward the middle of the month. As a clarification (I think most of you know this), the displayed week could be 0.5F warmer than normal and this chart would technically be correct. Its not a raw temperature departure from normal.

post-623-0-84868900-1325365844.png

Right in its fantasy wheelhouse. This winter is starting to get humurous in its persistent lack of even long range threats.

In some ways maybe its better that way. Nothing to fret over when it fails. At least, that's what I'm starting to think out here with this ridiculous dry spell.

post-105-0-78937900-1325505102.gif

Hour 168 on the EC. EC does spit some minor accumulations between Philly and DC as it moves through. GFS has a more pronounced low that develops off the coast at 192 from a different wave that develops along the front farther south. GFS has this move through at 150 but south of DC.

I'm not posting they are right this time, but It did happen a month ago, just one phase lower.

It sure did make the turn about a month ago. Phases 4 or 5 are sort of the nina attractors so such a turn isn't really that far fetched. I guess the good news is that the mjo often isn't that easy to predict so the models could be wrong.

Also, some excitement about some warming going on in the strat thought would help flip the ao more neutral to negative by mid-late jan. We'll see how things progress and would line up well with the heigher heights building up into the artic regions. This could be the start of something.. or it could just be another tease.

Happy New Year, everyone. Back at the grind today.

Looks like a rollercoaster pattern is shaping up for January. This quickie cold shot will be followed by warmth for about 5 days, then we get another cool shot in the Jan 10-15 timeframe, followed by a re-establishment of the SE ridge towards the end of the month.

After that, it gets interesting. The polar vortex is going to be taking a few body blows over the next few weeks. When IO convection and associated Himalayan mountain torque gets going again around Jan 20, we could see a full on assault on the PV. If, and it's a big if, the Rossby waves generated by the MT land a knockout blow on the PV, we could see a SSW around Feb 1, which would lead to -AO/-NAO for most of February. I'm not forecasting that yet, but it's on the table.

In the mean time, the only help we'll get from the tropics is in the IO. Don't expect the MJO to make it into 8-1-2 any time over the next month, with the Walker Circulation dominating any MJO influence near the dateline.

Happy New Year, everyone. Back at the grind today.

Looks like a rollercoaster pattern is shaping up for January. This quickie cold shot will be followed by warmth for about 5 days, then we get another cool shot in the Jan 10-15 timeframe, followed by a re-establishment of the SE ridge towards the end of the month.

After that, it gets interesting. The polar vortex is going to be taking a few body blows over the next few weeks. When IO convection and associated Himalayan mountain torque gets going again around Jan 20, we could see a full on assault on the PV. If, and it's a big if, the Rossby waves generated by the MT land a knockout blow on the PV, we could see a SSW around Feb 1, which would lead to -AO/-NAO for most of February. I'm not forecasting that yet, but it's on the table.

In the mean time, the only help we'll get from the tropics is in the IO. Don't expect the MJO to make it into 8-1-2 any time over the next month, with the Walker Circulation dominating any MJO influence near the dateline.

what about the -epo that is forecasted to develop. That could bring some chances of wintry weather to some part of the region if that gradient pattern set up, ala 93-94

what about the -epo that is forecasted to develop. That could bring some chances of wintry weather to some part of the region if that gradient pattern set up, ala 93-94

It will be a battle between the SE ridge and cool air seeping eastward from the Plains. I like SNE's chances a lot better than ours, considering there isn't a lot of ambient cold to work with.

Archived