Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Man, the +5 in the last full week of January is really going to sting if it verifies. They'll be finding the weenie corpses for weeks...

All these Euro ensembles tell me is that we might be staring down a gun barrel for some real nasty ice storms of epic proportions. We need to watch the models closely for ice rather than just a plain mega snow event.Yes, we all may want snow but these Euros are hinting something more sinister to come. Someone in the Mt. Holly area is going to see some significant ice storm warnings if these Euros pan out. Somebody needs to look at these ensembles and compare them to previous La Nina years with no blocking and just overrunning events. We maybe surprised on these Euros are saying to us right now. By the way, any weenie corpses will be found floating in the flooded streams with yard sticks in their hands. :sizzle::frostymelt:

I don't see anything in the next week or so to get excited about honestly. The wave along the front that may form friday could deliver some snows to pocs or lehigh valley, but outside that looks like bl is to warm. After that goes through we should see another cutter or liquid type storm out ahead of the next surge of cold air when the winds turn to the south. The possibility of something may occur if the models are right are around week 2 when that 2nd batch of arctic air comes down and sets up a gradient somewhere. That will be a focus for storms to traverse along. With brutal cold to the north and warmth to the south of it. The mjo currently is not helping anything as their is no forcing really with it being in cod. Big ticket item that is driving this pattern is the changes in the pacific with the -epo, which is pushing the vortex south away from the pole dropping the ao to neutral to somewhat negative. The atlantic side of things still looks horrid. Til we get some sort of blocking i would be very skeptical on any big coastal snow storms. Not a huge fan of how the ensembles are continuing to retrograde the epo block back west towards asia.

I don't see anything in the next week or so to get excited about honestly. The wave along the front that may form friday could deliver some snows to pocs or lehigh valley, but outside that looks like bl is to warm. After that goes through we should see another cutter or liquid type storm out ahead of the next surge of cold air when the winds turn to the south. The possibility of something may occur if the models are right are around week 2 when that 2nd batch of arctic air comes down and sets up a gradient somewhere. That will be a focus for storms to traverse along. With brutal cold to the north and warmth to the south of it. The mjo currently is not helping anything as their is no forcing really with it being in cod. Big ticket item that is driving this pattern is the changes in the pacific with the -epo, which is pushing the vortex south away from the pole dropping the ao to neutral to somewhat negative. The atlantic side of things still looks horrid. Til we get some sort of blocking i would be very skeptical on any big coastal snow storms.

I'm skeptical that we even see more than 3-4 days out of the next 14 that are below normal. With the way the vortex drops down in W Canada, we're going to be on the wrong side of the gradient for the most part.

I'm skeptical that we even see more than 3-4 days out of the next 14 that are below normal. With the way the vortex drops down in W Canada, we're going to be on the wrong side of the gradient for the most part.

looks like their is some disagreement between them. The 0z euro parks the vortex between hudson bay and lake superior, but this is way out in time. To me, a precursor as to why this winter was going to be rough is everytime we got closer to an event beit snow or cold, the models always backed off on it. They never show it progressing or getting better, its always been 5 days away. Some years we have had luck on our side, some years we dont, which this is following. Even the 6z gfs in the 10-15 day period isnt all that cold. Granted days 14-15 are. The previous days arent. The continuous storm tracks to our north turn the winds to the south and the bl cooks, even though the thicknesses and 850s are cold. Their isnt even any snow in that whole 15 day period lolz

looks like their is some disagreement between them. The 0z euro parks the vortex between hudson bay and lake superior, but this is way out in time. To me, a precursor as to why this winter was going to be rough is everytime we got closer to an event beit snow or cold, the models always backed off on it. They never show it progressing or getting better, its always been 5 days away. Some years we have had luck on our side, some years we dont, which this is following. Even the 6z gfs in the 10-15 day period isnt all that cold. Granted days 14-15 are. The previous days arent. The continuous storm tracks to our north turn the winds to the south and the bl cooks, even though the thicknesses and 850s are cold. Their isnt even any snow in that whole 15 day period lolz

You can see why with the nao verification vs progs. It (the NAO) has been verifying nearly at the most positive end of the ensemble members. I've seen this model bias switch in season, but if or until it does, you really need a strong -epo/+pna to deliver the goods. This is a tournament season we are playing without a putter in the bag.

post-623-0-35382400-1326203936.gif

You can see why with the nao verification vs progs. It (the NAO) has been verifying nearly at the most positive end of the ensemble members. I've seen this model bias switch in season, but if or until it does, you really need a strong -epo/+pna to deliver the goods. This is a tournament season we are playing without a putter in the bag.

post-623-0-35382400-1326203936.gif

sometimes that helps my game :yikes:

Yeah looks like january is in big trouble....kudos to adam with his forecast...pattern change just seems to have gone away on the models

It doesn't mean this will go according to plan, but you can see the impending/ongoing problem(s), the mjo, chances are will be in the circle of death and if anything emerge on the warm phase side based ont the EC which is the model with the most skill with MJO forcing. The stratospheric warming based on the ep vectors fluxing big time toward the equator seems to be not working downward, the 10 and 30mb winds while weakened, have not switched and temps have cooled again. The -epo has brought cold air into canada, but with the nao remaining positive, can exit stage right. Coupled with the ensemble retrogression of the pv and siberian ridge, permits the pacific fire hose to open again. I had January as the coldest month relative to normal in my analogs I have nothing to personally gain by these shortening bursts of cold air other than more golfing rounds.

Adam, Yeah I got my signs all messed up. I was applying the reverse wind signs.

im over winter, this just isnt our year it was clear a month ago...im game for warmth, baseball, beach, and bikinis

I just need one sled-worthy event for my little girl, and then I'm totally with you...Hopefully we get all this 'not our year' crap (Phillies, Eagles, Weenies) out of our system, and come back next year ready to play ball and/or make with the frozen precip...

No comments on the 0z or 6z suite of models on 1/11?!

the euro in the long range has been changing every run... the clipper the gfs has the euro has nothing...both models in the long range dictate a gradient like pattern which looks like we may be on the wrong side of...it all depends where that pv drops, if its western canada kiss any snow chances good bye. The return of the ak vortex without any blocking that most models show us reverting back to is basically the kiss of death for us in terms of cold and snow.

If you are referring to the moderate snowstorm that the EC depicts, then I would say lets watch it at least show that solution or something similar several times before you get excited.

he's a fan of the CAD event at hour 162 on the 6z GFS.

IMO, we gotta get through this storm before we get some consistency regarding late next week. Not getting my hopes up yet...even the pattern "change" that some hyped up really isn't that much of a shift...we were colder last week than we will be this Friday-Sunday.

It keeps getting worse and worse for snow lovers the last 1/3 of January. The Euro ensemble is starting to show the same blowtorch the weeklies were showing in that timeframe. It's rare to see +6-8C anomalies at the T+360 prog and they are showing up for a large portion of the country this morning.

Archived