Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^^ how was snow those years?

Tomb, the fly in the ointment could be that cut off

Low.

yea, i could see that maybe popping a brief blocking pattern, but with the mjo in the phase its at, it should be transient. Then comes the question. If we get the -nao, where is the cold air dump going to come from? With the ao being so positive, canada is only luke cold, put that over ground without a snowcover and you get seasonable temps...

yea, i could see that maybe popping a brief blocking pattern, but with the mjo in the phase its at, it should be transient. Then comes the question. If we get the -nao, where is the cold air dump going to come from? With the ao being so positive, canada is only luke cold, put that over ground without a snowcover and you get seasonable temps...

Yeah Hudson Bay has not frozen as of yet. Get the PV there later in the winter, its tough to dislodge.

Isn't the pdo state usually a 30yr average? I know we recently switched to to -PDO with the warm pool bein established in the western pacific? If so, I woulnt think It acts like an ordinary teleconnector (such as a PBS ridge or block etc.)

What Ray said. Not a true teleconnector, but you'll see some correlation between a -pdo/-pna and +pdo/+pna. Its also more common to have more/stronger ninas and less/weaker ninos when the pdo is an overall negative regime.

I believe most of the pros who do know their stuff like Glen,Kathy and John Bolaris have said that winter won't come into play until mid to late december. This time of year below average will still not bring us snow anyway.

if below avg can bring us snow in october, i deff think it can in december...just saying

It snowed here three years ago in October...just not "officially" at the Airport but it was snowing in Philadelphia in October I guess we

It then seems like lately around the area October snow is as likely as november snow. Another note the airport gets a bit less snow than other parts of philly.

It's snowed in 12 of the last 20 Novembers (trace or more), including 5 of the last 9.

It's not like it hasn't snowed in November ever (it is more frequent than October)...but yeah, it has been running much milder overall of late.

winters in general have been running much warmer...how many below normal winters have we had in the last 10 yrs?

wouldn't colder phases though be more supportive of a -nao, since the cool phase usually has warmer than normal waters along the east coast into canada's eastern coast?

Warm AMOs strongly favor -NAOs. The configuration of the Pacific doesn't have much to do with the Atlantic SST pattern, imo. Any correlation is statistical noise.

yN6je.gif

You have to keep in mind that a lot of this stuff is interrelated. +AMO keeps warmer ocean temps nearby, but also helps create blocking, which work counter to each other in the means.

Warm AMOs strongly favor -NAOs. The configuration of the Pacific doesn't have much to do with the Atlantic SST pattern, imo. Any correlation is statistical noise.

yN6je.gif

You have to keep in mind that a lot of this stuff is interrelated. +AMO keeps warmer ocean temps nearby, but also helps create blocking, which work counter to each other in the means.

i was just going off the -pdo diagram that showed warmer water on our side, wouldn't that aid in -nao development. if i read it correctly somewhere, warmer ocean waters are magnets for trofs

i was just going off the -pdo diagram that showed warmer water on our side, wouldn't that aid in -nao development. if i read it correctly somewhere, warmer ocean waters are magnets for trofs

No, thermally, warmer ocean waters maintain upper level ridges. I have a meeting for the next couple of hours, but I can explain in more detail later.

12z GFS shows no sign of a -NAO...

fast zonal flow with heights and temps pending on the orientation of the PV sitting in Central/eastern canada. Pretty volitile pattern.

key notes though,

NO -NAO

pacific firehouse is pouring in the entire conus.

12z GFS shows no sign of a -NAO...

fast zonal flow with heights and temps pending on the orientation of the PV sitting in Central/eastern canada. Pretty volitile pattern.

key notes though,

NO -NAO

pacific firehouse is pouring in the entire conus.

Yeah, even if we get a pretty strong trough next week, It is going to be transient with no blocking available.

i think last year might of had the best shot of below normal...dec and january were decently cold, but the warmth of feb might of masked that.

Tom,

Last winter overall did average about 1.8F colder than the 1971-2000 normals. While Feb was warmer, December and January combined were colder than normal, December by nearly 5F.

Archived