Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

only thing you have to watch out with those graphs is...yes its technically a -nao, and its ten times better than what we have now, but this -nao is east based which isnt that great, but still better than a pos nao. So its good that we are getting a -nao, but it still may not yield snow. I wih they had nao graphs that break it down towards east based or west based.

[/quo

Another negative factor is the AO which looks to remain steadily positive.

agreed, it would be a good start..but you see how the hgest anomalies are on the east side of green land you want them on the west side, then we are talking turkey.

Exactly, i just was a wee bit excited to see the greenland ridging disconnected from the North Atlantic Ridge. Baby steps though... Hell, even a little 50/50 Low :lmao:

But like i mentioned earlier, whether or not it's a transient feature or it's gonna hold, remains to be seen. (or if it even happens!!) But like you said Tom, baby steps.

For anyone that's not sure between greenland ridging and Ridging from the NAR extending into greenland , here's a pretty decent depiction between the 2.

12zECMWF500mbHeightAnomalyNA000.gif

0z euro went back to the idea it had on yesterdays 0z run...it brings a closed h5 low to the south of us next wednesday and forms a low offshore along baroclinic zone which is just offshore...prob brings a couple inches of snow to the area especially from the city on north...long range on the euro looks meh...flattens out the pac ridge, with a neutral pna, pos epoc...and has a n. atl ridge... euro ens back the the op up, with flattening the pacific ridge which teleconnects for some response by the se ridge, and the atl pattern features not much blocking still. Everything screams no sustained cold and transient shots of cold for a couple days, blah

00zecmwfens500mbHGHTNH240.gif

Verbatim, there is nothing south of ABE.

Yea i didnt look at the wunderground site to see how much falls...i just assumed it was snow with sub 530 thicknesses and -5 to -8 850 with temps in the 30s though above freezing from abe south...so its prob a case of its snowing but not sticking. Qpf isnt a ton but prob. 1-.25 over the region esp north of city.

Yea i didnt look at the wunderground site to see how much falls...i just assumed it was snow with sub 530 thicknesses and -5 to -8 850 with temps in the 30s though above freezing from abe south...so its prob a case of its snowing but not sticking. Qpf isnt a ton but prob. 1-.25 over the region esp north of city.

Oh. Yeah, I should have clarified. My maps have 2" as a threshold. So "nothing" = less than 2 inches. My bad.

verbatim the 850 is north of the city on the 2nd of the two events (hour 222+, the one for later next week)...the first event (174-186, next Wednesday) could bring snow showers into the city but you're relying on wrap-around moisture on a downslope...probably more a flizzard than anything of note.

The wunderground Euro snowfall maps appears more sophisticated than an AWIPs "snowfall" product generator we have for the GFS and NAM. Its always accumulating with them.

It looks like the up an down thoughts continue to have legs. It also looks like the GFS is cooling its MJO jet, joining the circle of death crowd.

verbatim the 850 is north of the city on the 2nd of the two events (hour 222+, the one for later next week)...the first event (174-186, next Wednesday) could bring snow showers into the city but you're relying on wrap-around moisture on a downslope...probably more a flizzard than anything of note.

I wonder if we can input that word into our forecast database. :)

Meh its all Mike's and mine fault. Mike buys the new snow thrower and I go out and buy a fireplace insert with half a cord of wood waiting to be burned.

Add me to the blame list. i dropped a few grand on a new wood burning stove with 3 cords all seasoned and ready!

Well, we are screwed now for this winter!:arrowhead:

Archived