Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know enough about the climate of KNYC to comment intelligently. I actually don't have much of a problem with what he posted in terms of the actual weather. My post was more about how he decided to frame his forecast. I know I'm a "warminista," but to me, the biggest weather story in the next two weeks is the exceptionally warm temps showing up in Week 2, not the transient cold this weekend or late next week.

Lowest temp at Central Park Sun/Mon was 15F.

What's with that wave the GFS is showing for Saturday?

Looks more impressive each run (relative to any other wave we had all winter anyway). This could be our big one for the year coming up based on the pattern we're locked into. Let's hope the clipper forces things south so we can lock in enough cold for all snow! This will be our last shot before the extended torch coming next week.

Looks more impressive each run (relative to any other wave we had all winter anyway). This could be our big one for the year coming up based on the pattern we're locked into. Let's hope the clipper forces things south so we can lock in enough cold for all snow! This will be our last shot before the extended torch coming next week.

It could be a couple to a few days of warmth instead. We also have a 2 potential chances of snow (clipper and overrunning). That is better than we had recently.

Yep...hoping we still snag 60+ out of it...that looks pretty likely though.

Yeah, I still think at least one of the days next week will be in the mid-to-upper 60s. But I was hoping the whole week would be like that... of course, trying to get +25 anomalies for an entire week is kinda hard to do.

Yeah, I still think at least one of the days next week will be in the mid-to-upper 60s. But I was hoping the whole week would be like that... of course, trying to get +25 anomalies for an entire week is kinda hard to do.

The event at 120-132 hrs ..I am seeing the 540 line basically North into NE PA by 126 hrs..Do you really think this would end up as an interior snow event or more in the way of icing potential...?

The event at 120-132 hrs ..I am seeing the 540 line basically North into NE PA by 126 hrs..Do you really think this would end up as an interior snow event or more in the way of icing potential...?

I don't think the frozen area will be as widespread as advertised by the 12z Euro, but I do think there is a threat on the table for that period. My guess is that it would be snow changing over to rain.

Thanks ..so yeah they basically keep the warmer then normal theme riding the pattern!

There was a week 4 that seemed to be better as of thursday,,,now it seems like that would be warmer then what thursday was showing for that week?

Yep. Week 3 was 0 on Thursday. It's trending warmer.

Looks like it's just cold enough on the 18z GFS from 114-120 hours. My worry is that this could easily trend more north, but at least the surface temps look to be holding steady. Maybe it could be ice if not snow.

The high to the north may make this more of an ice threat to areas just below the 850mb 0C line. Today's 12z Euro is very plausible and my closest guess on what will happen.

Yep. Week 3 was 0 on Thursday. It's trending warmer.

If you are still around

""Folks,

Hot off the press *fwiw*. Sure enough, the brand new Euro weeklies are again going with the trend of -NAO in the first half of Feb. They actually suggest a very strong 500 mb warm anomaly centered from S. Greenland into NE Canada and much of N. Canada. The SE US actually has slightly BELOW (yes, you read that correctly) anomalies and the coldest anomalies in just about all of N. America outside of Alaska! eeping hope that this entire winter will not be in the commode but still accepting whatever happens

In week 4, the strongest warm 500 mb anomalies stretch from S. Greenland to NNE Canada north of Hudson Bay. Virtually all of Canada, all of Greenland and the north Atlantic, and the western 2/3 of the US have warm anomalies. Cold is found in most all of Europe. Also, strong cold is centered over the far western Aleutians with below normal over Alaska, the north Pacific, and E. Asia. The eastern 1/3 of the U.S. eastward to Europe as well as MX have slightly below normal anomalies. This could mean storminess near the SE US with the strong block to the north." fantastic"

Seems to be different from what you stated...

Archived