• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

well, both if that's reasonable. I heard one met's take on this: High solar activity can cause +nao, and that lower solar activity would mean a shift to -nao.

Is this is strong sign?

In your opinion, is this happening now?

I honestly don't know. I'm sure there is some solar influence. These NAO flips that average about 30 years seem to coincide with the duration of three solar cycles. I was just asking you for a clarification for anyone that is better at space weather than me (which is probably 99% of everyone out there).

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I honestly don't know. I'm sure there is some solar influence. These NAO flips that average about 30 years seem to coincide with the duration of three solar cycles. I was just asking you for a clarification for anyone that is better at space weather than me (which is probably 99% of everyone out there).

Thanks Tony for your responses. I guess it's an interesting theory, and it gets my attention when I hear things like this. I am at best a novice pertaining to meteorology, but I try to learn more about these things.

Here is that NAEFS verification for the week ending 1/6.

Outlooked:

post-623-0-00037900-1326030245.png

Verification:

post-623-0-11417500-1326030297.png

This is as close as I can generate a map. BTW on Dec 30, PHL's departure from normal was +10.

I know the NAEFS has gone back to outlook us milder in week 2 again last night. There is going to be a lot of cold air that is going to come into Canada, I guess it will depend on the location of that Siberian Ridge, as to our "angle of the cold".

Tom,

Per JB along your lines

"Well now this would be neat. 60s Saturday, snow on Monday. Check this 48 hour euro out as it take a piece of the southwest trough out and phases it in time for some snow in the mid atlantic states tomorrow"

fwiw, the euro continues to show a 1-2 event mon night with the system passing to our south.

12z gfs is now trending towards the euro to

Tombo,

Well we're going to "Golf For It" this afternoon, Ramblewood again white/blue about 6200 yds, we're going to scramble because my neck and back are bothering me because of the wood we got yesterday. I shoot an 88 and my wife a 92 by ourselves last time we played there. So post some scores/wx in the golf thread and I'll post our "results" later.

See what the Ukie does with this run, its been always fairly sane with its qpf up close and this 36hr magic time about matches the Euro 12z run on Friday in late October.

Looks cold next weekend, doubt we'll be golfing then. ;)

I hope everyone saw Wes' post yesterday in the MA forum.

I don't have much to add there. It looks like we'll get the wave breaking associated with the current +AAM state later this week (with snow possible to the north - and the LV/Poconos may still have something to watch) and we'll see the PV shift toward Hudson Bay.

However, medium range prospects for a -NAO don't appear in the cards and by Jan 20, we see the Pacific jet undercutting the -EPO and cross polar flow. So even though we'll finally get some cold air into Canada, there doesn't appear to be a mechanism to usher it all the way into our area. We'll certainly increased chances of transient cold shots, but I don't see much change for our snow prospects.

I hope everyone saw Wes' post yesterday in the MA forum. http://www.americanw...ost__p__1255337

I don't have much to add there. It looks like we'll get the wave breaking associated with the current +AAM state later this week (with snow possible to the north - and the LV/Poconos may still have something to watch) and we'll see the PV shift toward Hudson Bay.

However, medium range prospects for a -NAO don't appear in the cards and by Jan 20, we see the Pacific jet undercutting the -EPO and cross polar flow. So even though we'll finally get some cold air into Canada, there doesn't appear to be a mechanism to usher it all the way into our area. We'll certainly increased chances of transient cold shots, but I don't see much change for our snow prospects.

PAC flow and heights rising just to our east, are definitely not a good thing.

I hope everyone saw Wes' post yesterday in the MA forum. http://www.americanw...ost__p__1255337

Wes is pretty dosh garn good. When I grow up, I want to be like Wes. I don't have much to add other than arrivals are often outlooked too fast, then breakdowns are sometimes also. There has been a definite negative bias in the NAO outlook with the GFS ensembles, so I'd be pretty skeptical of anything sustained occurring there until we get pretty close to initialization time. I'm going back to work this afternoon and look at my glaam binder again, I saw the Wheeler like diagram in HM's thread, I was thinking more meridional outside of the tropics. If that doesn't make much sense either, then I have to go re-read the binder again, its been a while.

Archived