Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Medium-long range thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eee...its 50/50...the euro took the gfs to school in the h5 setup, which the gfs has been slowly moving to. The gfs took the euro to school in the storm idea.

True. A week out, i guess we shouldn't totally write off the threat but it does seem to be on life support at the moment.

just to be clear, the Euro as depicted will not be the greatest thing for the energy bills, as there is some PNA driven cold coming up, just not very snowy, and no long-term switch in the atlantic

meh....after the last two winters here, I am OK with what is being shown. I could use the added coin from low enegry bills these days :)

Ok I'm going to take a shot at the evolution of the Euro the last 4 runs. It seems that the Pac ridge was at first modeling a huge ridge in the west which allowed a more neutral or negatively tilted trough in the eastern seaboard. As time progressed a PAC low was included that knocked down the ridge somewhat. allowing the trough to go more positive Because the trough is more positively progged the energy goes out to sea. OK take it easy just a rank AM.

f144.gif

just to be clear, the Euro as depicted will not be the greatest thing for the energy bills, as there is some PNA driven cold coming up, just not very snowy, and no long-term switch in the atlantic

Correct, but I believe it is also showing any cold spell being of the short duration type. Which is fine. I guess it would be better if those short durations included snow. Oh well.

I think the Euro/GGEM threats from yesterday are done. However, there's more potential for a Miller B event from a s/w dropping down from Canada while the trough is still carved over the eastern US. The 18z op GFS shows this just offshore, but its ensembles are more aggressive. I've found that when there are multiple pieces of energy, models normally key in on the first one and not make the second one seem like much of a threat, and I think that is happening with next week's situation.

post-611-0-89791400-1325114866.gif

ensplume_full.gif

Promising..

models been hinting at a more amplified mjo heading into phase 7.. we'll see. COuld still hit the outskirts of the COD, minimizing the overall impacts of a phase 7 MJO. However, the cold in the GFS showing up has creedance here.

Well, a legit significant storm threat to track would have been nice, but today's medium range guidance puts me in a philosophical mood....seems like we have seasonably cold to somewhat below normal temps for at least a time next week....as HPC noted in todays extended disco, shortwave details remain a low confidence proposition, and thats not necessarily a bad thing. Sitting here waiting for a great pattern with major sustained favorable blocking is a fools erand IMO. Whats coming up this week is what I am hoping for....that our colder shots, if however brief, are legitimately cold for the time of year, and that in the fast flow something can pop to give us an accumulating snow...I think our best shots at snow are not going to be clear cut 6"+ threats that first pop in the 5-7 day range....i think they will be vague threats that don't solidify til 72 hours out at the ealiest and will be of the 2-4 or 3-6 inch variety...I think we have a better chance at getting stretches of time where the pattern doesn't totally suck like this coming week than we do a significant stretch where the pattern is highly favorable.

Well, a legit significant storm threat to track would have been nice, but today's medium range guidance puts me in a philosophical mood....seems like we have seasonably cold to somewhat below normal temps for at least a time next week....as HPC noted in todays extended disco, shortwave details remain a low confidence proposition, and thats not necessarily a bad thing. Sitting here waiting for a great pattern with major sustained favorable blocking is a fools erand IMO. Whats coming up this week is what I am hoping for....that our colder shots, if however brief, are legitimately cold for the time of year, and that in the fast flow something can pop to give us an accumulating snow...I think our best shots at snow are not going to be clear cut 6"+ threats that first pop in the 5-7 day range....i think they will be vague threats that don't solidify til 72 hours out at the ealiest and will be of the 2-4 or 3-6 inch variety...I think we have a better chance at getting stretches of time where the pattern doesn't totally suck like this coming week than we do a significant stretch where the pattern is highly favorable.

Of late there has been the lack of the run-of-the-mill snowstorm, it seems we have segued to all or nothing at all events.

If you remove last winter from the equation and the big one in 1996 pretty much what you described is the m.o. for nina type winters, we don't get the bigger ones along I95, more the nickel and dime events.

long shot, but watch out for the 2nd shortwave that dives down mid to late next week, could spawn something off the se coast. Issue being is you need the amplification in the ridge out west for this to turn the corner.

Seems that way, we have plenty of time for it to trend back the coast........

Archived