joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Got a report of 5" on Blue Knob at 5:00pm, so they probably got 7" or 8". Got a report out of Cambria County of 4" at 5:30p. Forecast should verify fine on the ridges, but certainly not in the valleys.

Went up to the top of Wopsy lil over half hour ago and there was at least 4 inches or so up there, and it was still hammering snow up there..which caught me off guard. Road covered and iced, def regretted taking my new car up there instead of the truck. Was even snowing half decently around the campus.

Probably got around an inch on the ground now and its clear we will come in well under what was forecast. While I will never complain about any snow because any snow is fun to watch, this storm reminds me once again that two types of storms never work out well for PA as far as heavy snowfall. One is these wrap around coastal events where cold air is not well established and the other is Miller B events. I have never one time seen a Miller B produce anything other than clipper type snowfall for central PA. Mostly because the transfer of energy to the coastal is usually over PA which strips the best QPF from the storm for us. By the time the coastal gets cranking, its approaching the benchmark.

Bastardi just tweeted 8 inches reported on Seven Mountains which is on 322 ESE of State College. So i guess that aspect of my forecast might've verfied, as it was in the dashed zone (and specifically mentioned as well) highlighted for scattered 6+ amounts. I bet some of the tops of the Tussey ridges saw something close to that. The Laurels will likely come out with amounts that'll jive with what I had there as will at least some of far northeastern PA. Map might not be a total disaster...but I was killed in the valley areas and right on the home turf. I have a grand total of a T to report.

Bastardi just tweeted 8 inches reported on Seven Mountains which is on 322 ESE of State College. So i guess that aspect of my forecast might've verfied, as it was in the dashed zone (and specifically mentioned as well) highlighted for scattered 6+ amounts. I bet some of the tops of the Tussey ridges saw something close to that. The Laurels will likely come out with amounts that'll jive with what I had there as will at least some of far northeastern PA. Map might not be a total disaster...but I was killed in the valley areas and right on the home turf. I have a grand total of a T to report.

OVERALL AMOUNTS ARE STILL DIFFICULT TO GUAGE THIS HOUR AS

ELEVATION PLAYED A KEY ROLE. RECEIVED LOCAL AMOUNTS OF 1.5 TO 2

INCHES IN THE VALLEYS FROM PLEASANT GAP THROUGH STATE COLLEGE AND

PARK FOREST...WHILE 5 INCHES WAS MEASURED A SHORT DRIVE UP TO

THE TOP OF CENTRE HALL MOUNTAIN (~1800 FT) BY ONE OF OUR OFF-DUTY

EMPLOYEES.

Wow, it's as if someone flipped a light switch in Lancaster County. Manor Twp...moderate snow, large snowflakes.

Temp 34

Dew Point 34

Snow here in centerville too, large, lazy flakes.

Temp 37

Dew point 32Still raining fairly hard too.... But snowflakes don't look like typical moist/heavy flakes

Archived