gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's an insane run. Anyone want to weigh in?

I think the NAM, being the 'convective and high-resolution model' it is, is attempting to key in some dynamic/convective precipitation. In doing so, I believe it is too high on the QPF output, hence the high snow totals. But history has shown us this fall that such a system can occur, and with the warm ocean waters underneath a potent mid level s/wv, it might not be too far from the truth.

That's an insane run. Anyone want to weigh in?

Looks like it made a slight shift to the NW inside of 36 hours, then it starts to lose the storm to the right. With what I said earlier, I still think this comes a little further west and the precip shield expands west a bit as well, then it continues into NE instead of just brushing the coastal plain.

Oh, most def. Especially CTP. I don't envy the job they have right now.

Neither do I. It really bothers me when people start bashing an office just because a 4th or 5th period watch won't be issued. There are ramifications of such products with respect to local DOTs, OEMs, etc. when such products are issued so it's not something as simple as just issuing the alert.

I'm I correct in assuming that the GFS is further east than the Nam. Also just wondering how far into the event are we going to see change over?

yeah, i was wondering that too. How much of that qbf is rain then snow. One thing for sure, Harrisburg is continuing to pad its record rain toatal. We had a decent soak over night

Looks like it made a slight shift to the NW inside of 36 hours, then it starts to lose the storm to the right. With what I said earlier, I still think this comes a little further west and the precip shield expands west a bit as well, then it continues into NE instead of just brushing the coastal plain.

Yeah, starting to think we get 2-4....maybe.

I feel more comfortable here in State College than being farther south/east, and at a lower elevation. The Euro last night showed how a big shift could actually cause a lot of temp issues to our east, and even in our vicinity. I'd bet CTP issues watches either tonight or tomorrow, with Centre county being about the farthest northwest they go. As you guys have said, with this complicated setup we shouldn't blame them for holding off until they're sure.

I feel more comfortable here in State College than being farther south/east, and at a lower elevation. The Euro last night showed how a big shift could actually cause a lot of temp issues to our east, and even in our vicinity. I'd bet CTP issues watches either tonight or tomorrow, with Centre county being about the farthest northwest they go. As you guys have said, with this complicated setup we shouldn't blame them for holding off until they're sure.

I'll take the higher elevations of western Adams County on this one. With elevations of 1400ft up to 2000ft, this area always cashes in on these types of events with 13.5" recorded there during the October event.

I'll take the higher elevations of western Adams County on this one. With elevations of 1400ft up to 2000ft, this area always cashes in on these types of events with 13.5" recorded there during the October event.

One of my favorite areas of the world, Adams County. Welcome. I know the area pretty well having grown up in York; used to go fishing a lot in Adams County.

How so? Text has me at 31.9 with .7" qpf.

I was thinking more east of you.

Broke my laptop so I've been stuck using my droid for updates on this storm through this thread...great job all...very informative. I can't tell on my phone but does the nam look warm for lns? It looks like we get slammed with qpf but borderline temp wise. Also anyone have any good weather model apps?

I have a Droid and would be interested. My eyes are going bad from staring at non-mobile web sites.

True enough. While I always thought 1200' was a decent elevation I got a lesson in Oct, when a few hundred feet made a world of difference. But now that we're in December with lower sun angle and colder temps (and some of the snow should come at night) I feel a lot more comfortable.

Broke my laptop so I've been stuck using my droid for updates on this storm through this thread...great job all...very informative. I can't tell on my phone but does the nam look warm for lns? It looks like we get slammed with qpf but borderline temp wise. Also anyone have any good weather model apps?

NAM is rain to snow for LNS/MDT/etc as temperatures fall just like how storm in October started out. Will be interesting to monitor dew point temperatures during the day tomorrow to see how soon they fall to low 30s. NAM may have temps in mid/upper 30s around here early on tomorrow night. If cold enough for snow aloft, again like in October we don't have to have temps below 32 for snow with heavy snowfall rates/evaporative cooling.

The airmass in front of this thing is putrid, but the low getting going and everyone's inland location should be enough to transition many over to snow fairly quickly. I think almost everyone save maybe the highest elevations near I-81 start as rain and then transition over when the heavy precip develops.

Archived