Ring of Fireflies
    Newest Member
    Ring of Fireflies
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to worry about temperatures being a larger issue than most people are thinking. Even back here in State College, neither the GFS nor NAM text output is showing anything other than RA/SN mix at best. Also, that same output is already busting 3 degrees lower than what it is outside now. The RGEM precip type is mostly rain until late in the storm when colder air can enter the area. What we traded off by getting more precipitation, we will have to battle very marginal temperatures since the storm is now arriving earlier than expected. Even high elevations may not see all snow. Let's continue to monitor the models and keep an eye on temperature trends.

GFS and NAM text output

http://www.meteor.iastate.edu/~ckarsten/cobb/cobb.php?model=gfs&site=kunv

RGEM/GGEM ptype:

http://collaboration.cmc.ec.gc.ca/cmc/cmdn/pcpn_type/pcpn_type_gem_reg.html

I'm beginning to worry about temperatures being a larger issue than most people are thinking. Even back here in State College, neither the GFS nor NAM text output is showing anything other than RA/SN mix at best. Also, that same output is already busting 3 degrees lower than what it is outside now. The RGEM precip type is mostly rain until late in the storm when colder air can enter the area. What we traded off by getting more precipitation, we will have to battle very marginal temperatures since the storm is now arriving earlier than expected. Even high elevations may not see all snow. Let's continue to monitor the models and keep an eye on temperature trends.

GFS and NAM text output

http://www.meteor.ia...l=gfs&site=kunv

RGEM/GGEM ptype:

http://collaboration...pe_gem_reg.html

RGEM is always way too warm.

Yeah but you can't ignore the warmth in this setup. I know you're a snow lover and trust me I am too, but you have to be realistic too. If nothing changes, I would expect a slushy inch or two of accumulation on the backside at best in most places below ~1300 feet.

When it is snowing at 1" per hr it will start sticking pretty quick.

JB with his 6-12" totals though.. he is must be smoking some crack.

these posts of 6"+ for susq valley are just plain overblown IMHO. I say no way, and I'll eat the crow if wrong. This is a slop fest special at best 2-4" for my 880' elevation. Down at river level has hardly any chance to verify over 2".

From OCT event thanks to i4net weather

27th: Cloudy today high 60 F. Some light rain during the morning and a few more showers during the afternoon .08" fell.

MODERATE FROST LOW 33 F

28th: Low of 33 F. this morning with moderate frost. Partly cloudy today high 48 F. Light rain during the evening .06"

**RECORD OCTOBER SNOWFALL 3.7" - FIRST FREEZE OF SEASON

29th: Rain overnight began changing to snow around 8am and became all snow by 9am. Wet snow fell all day and was

moderate to heavy at times especially during the afternoon. Most of the snow ended by 6pm with a total of

3.7". This is a new October record for most snow from a storm and for most snow in the month of October.

The previous record was in 1925 when 2.8" fell on the 30th. In 1940 on the 19th 1.3” fell. The last time

we had any measurable snow in October was in 1979 it was only 0.1" on the 10th for earliest measurable

snow ever. Some nearby areas recieved over 7" of snow.

Wow JB is going hard! :sled:

Essentially, he has 3 inches from just N/W of DC northeast to just N/W of Philly to NYC to BOS, back to like Pittsburgh on northeast. Inside that is a 6-12 inch band from northeastern KY through WV south-central PA, lower susquehanna valley, poconos, southern New England into Maine. Inside that band is up to 12+" in the moutains of WV, MD, and southern PA, and picks up again in the Poconos through upstate NY and western Mass.

:weenie:

He is on crack.

Male or female?

I saw both WTAJ and WJAC while at the gym.

WTAJ: Not really sure, track uncertain

WJAC: Heavy rain SE of State College, a few snow showers or a burst of snow Wed night from "the upper level low moving through" (not sure what that meant), no big deal anywhere outside of the Laurels where there might be a small accumulation.

I saw both WTAJ and WJAC while at the gym.

WTAJ: Not really sure, track uncertain

WJAC: Heavy rain SE of State College, a few snow showers or a burst of snow Wed night from "the upper level low moving through" (not sure what that meant), no big deal anywhere outside of the Laurels where there might be a small accumulation.

:lmao:

Archived