• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Central PA Thread

Eskimo Joe

CTP is talking WSW for later and the local on-air "meteorologists" in town here haven't even so much as discussed the possibility of anything more than "possibly changing over to a period of wet snow"?

I know you don't want to be an alarmist or cry "wolf", but how is this not irresponsible on their behalf?

Can any of you mets or forecasters address this real fast? Perhaps this should go in the complaints thread?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're getting into the SREF's range and I don't think most will like the 3z version.

Hard right? Following the baro layer laid out by the approaching C front. Most of the 700mb moisture is gone by the time we get enough cold air to make anything other than a slop storm for most, if not all. Elev's will help but still result in a wet layer of white with ratios likely to be quite low as a result. So all those QPF outputs will struggle to yield a 10:1 outcome - thus accums will be very light.

My call for MDT = 2" tops, eastern third of the CWA not much hope, highest elev's in the App spine through PA (mostly south of I-80) may see as much as 4" (which HPC paints in their maps).

I'd love to be understating things and end up with enough white to warrant a "sick" day on Thurs to go and track whitetails.

For the most part, this is a map of how many climate divisions we have in PA. The red outlines are the general areas where the weather is drastically different, but of course is subject to individual patterns. The black/orange line is the general outline for Nor Easter type systems. I have a few different outcomes with the black/orange outline for mainly the diffence between eastern sliders, closer tracks to the coast, and benchmark. Now I realise the Nor Easters can throw precip further back towards the west but the orange outlines dictate where the best likelyhood and chance of occurance greater than 4" of snow. In the blue shadings is where the greatest likelyhood of Lake Effect events set up, and I know I left ouf the laurals and Pittsburgh areas because I'm not exactly sure where the boundaries typically set up for them. This is why the most of the posters outside these orange lines try to tell you guys were aren't favored for Nor Easter type of events, not really complaining. I made 13 general climate sections within PA, and I'm sure I could make some adjustments and you guys could help me out with that. Out of all the general climate sections I made, I feel bad for 6,7,9 and 7,9 is by far the worst place to live if you are a weather enthusiast because you are just on the outside of lake effect events and miss the most of Nor Easters and borderline on WAA events.

My ex-wife is from Ridgway, I'd say you're incorrect about parts of 7 - they often do pretty well in lake effect. Elk County isn't exactly a snow desert.

Same with zone 9, especially western half. Meadville sometimes does better than Erie for snow. They average 70 inches of snow. You tell someone in southern Crawford County they don't get lake effect and they'd pat you on the head and say "You're cute, kid."

The thing that worries me about recent model trends is temperatures. The main storm develops so quickly that 1. it's still Wednesday afternoon or evening when it gets here and 2. cold air hasn't had a lot of time to filter in.

Indeed, the Euro has us kinda borderline with temps until after the precip is gone. It's much better with the total precip, though.

Noticed that. The top two models, euro and ukmet, give us hits. Still not biting yet but good signs.

The UK has been steady for 24 hours now. The Euro has come around. The GEM is almost identical. And the GFS ensembles are in line as well.

I still like my call from yesterday of 2 to 4 inches south of I-80 from Clearfield east. 6 inches or more from Huntingdon to ABE southward, above 500 feet. Laurels will see some decent snow as well with the terrain, probably high-end advisory.

The +NAO should allow this to come further NW compared to the op run of the GFS (for those of you that like to look at it).

The thing that worries me about recent model trends is temperatures. The main storm develops so quickly that 1. it's still Wednesday afternoon or evening when it gets here and 2. cold air hasn't had a lot of time to filter in.

Indeed, the Euro has us kinda borderline with temps until after the precip is gone. It's much better with the total precip, though.

Indeed. Elevation-dependent like the Halloween storm.

My guess right now is that the best snows are headed roughly for the I-81 corridor, maybe just west, where there could be a narrow 4-8" or so stripe. The Susq. Valley could be a sweet spot for most of the heavy stuff, and this is a dynamic system where there could be some surprises. A 10" report or two wouldn't shock me. West of there into JST/AOO/UNV I would expect maybe a 2-5" type of storm, more if the Euro/UK are right and tick this west further. In this kind of a pattern where there are few if any limitations for a low trending west, it's certainly possible. Good luck to all you guys out there while I drown in my mild rain. :thumbsup:

Archived