joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Is this a HECS?

NickD2011

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought HECS also stood for the amount of ppl severely impacted by winter weather? This storm qualifies that criteria and it isnt even close..

Going absolutely by the NESIS scale only, it might not be that high. Granted, millions of people are without power, but NESIS works by seeing how many people's residences got such and such amount of snow. On that absolute basis, then it will probably rate fairly low on NESIS.

But NESIS isn't the only quality which gets storms into KU.

Doesn't "H" mean Historical? If so, then yea this qualifies.

You'll remember this storm the rest of your life even if you only got 4 inches of snow.

you are right, 8 inches of snow would normally not be a big deal but being a wet snow and plenty of leaves on the trees i have never seen so much tree damage in any other snowstorm in my lifetime. At a point yesterday afternoon if you went outside all you could hear was the poping and snapping of trees and branches.

The amounts of snowfall are not that much, and it probably wouldn't close schools if it happened on a weekday. The only thing that makes it historic is that it happened in October.

Would you consider this a HECS, lumped in with the great storms like the Blizzard of 96, PDII, Boxing Day Blizzard, etc.

Not sure. My area got 20-31" of snow, but this is pretty rural, so the impact from that is low

My son has no school, nor does the district I work in.

Hundreds of thousands without power.

I vote no, but it is close and historic

The amounts of snowfall are not that much, and it probably wouldn't close schools if it happened on a weekday. The only thing that makes it historic is that it happened in October.

Would you consider this a HECS, lumped in with the great storms like the Blizzard of 96, PDII, Boxing Day Blizzard, etc.

I guess you haven't heard about the numerous school districts all around the region who canceled school for Monday, two days after the event? ...

the damage impacts, the occasional 20+ totals, the date of the storm, the records broken....I would be shocked of it wasn't in the KU book.

If we're talking purely about snowfall amounts across a wide area and especially for the big cities/populations, it's probably borderline. However even in areas that "only" saw 4-6", like we did in the Edison/Metuchen area and much of the I-95 corridor, it was the equivalent of 8-12" of "typical" snowfall, in that the bulk density was only 5" snow per inch of water instead of the typical 10" of snow per inch of water. That, combined with the incredible impact of the heavy wet snow on the trees still full of leaves definitely makes it both "historic" and a KU storm in my book. We got about 5" here and this storm probably had more impact in our town than all but the biggest blizzards we've had over the years - the entire borough was in a state of emergency with everyone contacted by automated phone calls imploring them to stay in their houses and not be out walking or driving - literally hundreds of trees and thousands of branches are down all over, blocking roads, bringing down power lines, and making travel a mess. We have about 6-8 huge branches down, including one that brought down a power line, which, fortunately, had enough slack in it not to short-circuit, so we never lost power, but much of the rest of the town did lose power. School absolutely would've been closed yesterday and today; school will probably be open tomorrow, though, as they've cleared the streets pretty well.

If we're talking purely about snowfall amounts across a wide area and especially for the big cities/populations, it's probably borderline. However even in areas that "only" saw 4-6", like we did in the Edison/Metuchen area and much of the I-95 corridor, it was the equivalent of 8-12" of "typical" snowfall, in that the bulk density was only 5" snow per inch of water instead of the typical 10" of snow per inch of water. That, combined with the incredible impact of the heavy wet snow on the trees still full of leaves definitely makes it both "historic" and a KU storm in my book. We got about 5" here and this storm probably had more impact in our town than all but the biggest blizzards we've had over the years - the entire borough was in a state of emergency with everyone contacted by automated phone calls imploring them to stay in their houses and not be out walking or driving - literally hundreds of trees and thousands of branches are down all over, blocking roads, bringing down power lines, and making travel a mess. We have about 6-8 huge branches down, including one that brought down a power line, which, fortunately, had enough slack in it not to short-circuit, so we never lost power, but much of the rest of the town did lose power. School absolutely would've been closed yesterday and today; school will probably be open tomorrow, though, as they've cleared the streets pretty well.

I don't think schools along I-95 would've closed yesterday. Since most forecasts were for 1-3 inches (or less) along I-95, and snow didn't start until after school started, I think most schools along I-95 would've opened if Saturday had been a school day. Many might have let out early, however. Today, any town which had significant power loss may have been closed, especially if the facilities themselves had lost power. Those without huge power outages (Ewing among them) probably would've had a delayed opening (since some side roads were quite icy early this morning).

The only thing that makes it historic is because it is oct? Are u kidding? Ct had the most power outages ever in a storm! The gov of ct is asking for federal disaster aid. Nj declared a state of emergency with 500k without power. I wanted to get the full expierence of the storm and went to northern passaic to take it in....every 30 seconds you heard branches snapping. It was surrieal and ill never root for october snow again....12 inches of snow and full leaves on the trees is a horrible combo. This was a hecs on its own merit.

This was definitely a HECS, I didn't see power outages but just a few miles north and west where some friends of mine live, saw 4-6 inches of snow, had power out for days, had and still have large branches down all over the places, it was a mess. There was probably more damage in the October snowstorm than there would usually be in a major storm in the winter. Even some of the HECS storms of the past few years didn't have as much damage as this one did. The storm in many places was worse than Irene was when it comes to tree damage and power outages, probably the worst storm in many years.

To me, 4-6" in late October is equivalent to 2 feet or more in a HECS snowstorm/blizzard in the winter so this is definitely a once in a lifetime HECS.

I can't believe while watching the news this morning how many schools are still out or delayed 6 days later. And some which are only 5 to 10 miles from me.

This was definitely a HECS, I didn't see power outages but just a few miles north and west where some friends of mine live, saw 4-6 inches of snow, had power out for days, had and still have large branches down all over the places, it was a mess. There was probably more damage in the October snowstorm than there would usually be in a major storm in the winter. Even some of the HECS storms of the past few years didn't have as much damage as this one did. The storm in many places was worse than Irene was when it comes to tree damage and power outages, probably the worst storm in many years.

To me, 4-6" in late October is equivalent to 2 feet or more in a HECS snowstorm/blizzard in the winter so this is definitely a once in a lifetime HECS.

Archived