joxey
Is this a HECS?

NickD2011

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HECK YES,

HECS, yes.

snow causing temperatures to fall to 33F in Central Park at midday?

20 inch snowfall amounts across southern NY and southern New England?

widespread thundersnow?

record breaking power outage numbers?

all happening before Halloween...

In terms of historical comparisons, I wonder how many people here, like me, have been going to the window to see the snowfall under the streetlights but the view is obstructed by the green leaves on the trees. If historic is a bad term here because it has a wider meaning, it's definitely one for the memory bank, and one to tell the grandkids about. The kids who can't trick or treat on Monday because they still have 12+" on the ground will also talk about it for awhile.

lol of course it is!!! What else is a HECS (Historic East Coast Storm) in Oct!? This is the most historic Oct snowstorm for the NE EVER!!! There are several 12"+ amounts and some around 20", NYC boro's saw plowable snow in Oct!

Just cause we didn't see 12"+ doesn't mean it wasn't historic. So many ppl lost power, so many tree branches are down, there is an electrical wire down burning for hrs two blocks from me.

Com'on Man!!!

I'm with Quincy on this. HECS YES this is a HECS :) Just because NYC and LI got off easy doesn't take away from the devastating nature of this storm. Millions without power, roads that will be blocked for days and the incredible damage that we are bound to start hearing about from trees on houses and other buildings will put damage totals into the hundreds of millions of dollars. Don't forget about the snow totals over a foot through huge areas. If that doesn't qualify it I don't know what would.

The amounts of snowfall are not that much, and it probably wouldn't close schools if it happened on a weekday. The only thing that makes it historic is that it happened in October.

Would you consider this a HECS, lumped in with the great storms like the Blizzard of 96, PDII, Boxing Day Blizzard, etc.

This would have closed many schools in multiple states today if it were a weekday and will be closing many schools for the next 2 days - because of the power outages...............

The amounts of snowfall are not that much, and it probably wouldn't close schools if it happened on a weekday. The only thing that makes it historic is that it happened in October.

Would you consider this a HECS, lumped in with the great storms like the Blizzard of 96, PDII, Boxing Day Blizzard, etc.

Not even close

If the "H" stands for "huge" it's not even close. It it stands for "historic" it quite certainly is. It expands at least from the Veterans' Day Storm of 1987 the boundaries in which significant storms are possible. And a degree or two less it could have reached Kocin criteria for New York City and Philadelphia. It is more significant historically than, say, the January 1, 1971 storm.

I would consider it a HECS

The month it occured in.

When was the last time that you have seen 19" in northern New Jersey in october?

The amount of snow so early in the year.

The amount of people who are currently without power in the northeast.

The areas that NEVER see accumulating snow in even November, saw accumulating snow from this, and it was in October.

The areas that saw record breakIng snow from this, had shattered the previous record for snow in october.

I'd say yes. Since when are there official "criteria" for this stuff? It is historical. Perhaps not for widespread snow amounts, but at least in my opinion both due to the date and the impact this storm had it is definitely historical. The amount of tree and powerline damage is worse than any snowstorm I've ever seen, personally.

I'd say yes. Since when are there official "criteria" for this stuff? It is historical. Perhaps not for widespread snow amounts, but at least in my opinion both due to the date and the impact this storm had it is definitely historical. The amount of tree and powerline damage is worse than any snowstorm I've ever seen, personally.

Yup....ive never seen damage like this. Its insane.

I think there's some confusion over the term "historical" here.

Was this historical, in terms of record-breaking October snowfall, and damage to trees and power lines? Absolutely, in that sense, no question it was historical.

Was this an HECS, as in a KU event? No, I don't think so.

Was this historical, in terms of record-breaking October snowfall, and damage to trees and power lines? Absolutely, in that sense, no question it was historical.

I thought HECS also stood for the amount of ppl severely impacted by winter weather? This storm qualifies that criteria and it isnt even close..

It'll be in KU, for sure. So, if by "KU event" you mean storms that are in KU, then it absolutely is.

Archived