northernriwx
    Newest Member
    northernriwx
Dec 11-13 MW/Lakes/OV snow event part 4

Hoosier

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we probably go to snow around 3z or so. I'd say the text output will spit out 4" or so for ORD and only because it's looking better and better on the defo band / LE. That large initial slug is going to be rain or mixy trash. Chicago won't start cranking until 18z sunday....not bad timing if i may say so myself.

Bears forecast, moderate snow, gusts to 40+

GO PATS!

997 mb low now along hw20 in between Fort Dodge and Webster City. Locations in NW Iowa now seeing heavy snow and gusts over 50 mph.

I'm now seeing a lot more big snowflakes, although no big deal so far.

posted this is another thread. It's quite amazing.

Amazing. eastern iowa is at 36f and western iowa at 9f shows how strong that cold air is.

Look at the discrepencies from one end of the state to the other end, unreal how powerful it is.

http://www.usairnet....wa/temperature/

http://www.usairnet....owa/wind-speed/

http://www.usairnet....owa/dew-points/

http://www.usairnet....etric-pressure/

Those storms were awesome. I was still in college then, I remember those quick hitters. They were about a week apart...I had to give my synoptic discussions on them and I failed miserably. arrowheadsmiley.png

If you get time, will you explain why the models are trying to put out .15 or so tenths of precip over my area tomorrow, even though models are occluded with the lows and temps are really cold which I thought would dry things out. spme of the hi res models almost look like they show convective elements to things.

It is easy to look at models and see some omega and RH and see qpf being generated, but I don't know why.

This is one weird storm. Looking at the ptype from the GEM, if you loop it its really weird, but has been consistent, with the precip starting as rain well into WI and central MI, but by the time it reaches the Detroit area it is snow almost immediately. Really starting to think we see very little rain with this system.

http://collaboration...pe_gem_reg.html

That's when the storm starts deepening actually and pulls in the colder air..

INTERESTING:

On December 11, 2000, a powerful storm system moved east just south of Michigan, dumping heavy snow across all of the area, with some freezing rain and sleet near the Ohio border. Near blizzard conditions with up to 58 mph wind gusts were found across all of the area, with an outright blizzard in the Thumb. Many schools were closed for two to four days after the storm. Mail delivery the next day was spotty at best, and many businesses and government offices were closed. Specific snowfall amounts and impacts of the storm, by county... Bay: 8 to 10" in Bay City. Genesee: 12-14" fell, along with 4 foot drifts. Flint Bishop International Airport closed in the afternoon of the 11th, and ended up with 14", the third largest snowfall on record. Up to 200 cars were stranded on Interstate 75 just south of Flint during the storm. In Burton, the roof of a window manufacturing company collapsed. Huron: 16.2" in Port Hope. Lapeer: 12-16" near Lapeer (city), with 3 foot drifts. Interstate 69 was closed from Davison to Imlay City. Lenawee: 5.7" in Adrian with some freezing rain. Livingston: 10-15" with 3 to 5 foot drifts. Macomb: 12" across the county. Midland: 7 to 11" in Midland (city). Monroe: 8.5" just southeast of Milan; up to half an inch of freezing rain in Monroe with several trees downed due to ice and wind, and power outages. Oakland: 12" across the county. St Clair: 12.3" near Avoca; 14.7" in Ruby; 17.5" in Yale, 14" in Capac. In Port Huron, 12-20", closing the Blue Water Bridge to Canada. Saginaw: 11" in Frankenmuth with 3 foot drifts, roads drifted shut. MBS (Tri Cities) International Airport had many flights cancelled, and the airport was closed at 830 pm on the 11th. Sanilac: 13" in Brown City. Shiawassee: 15.5" in Morrice. Tuscola: 10-14" in Vassar. In Caro, 16.3" of snow fell with 4 foot drifts. An 18 car pile-up on the north side of town required snowmobiles to rescue stranded motorists. Washtenaw: 8-12" in Ann Arbor; closing Eastern Michigan University for only the second time ever. Wayne: 6-12" across the county; three-eighths inches of freezing rain in Rockwood; At Detroit Metropolitan Airport, 6.1" fell, with 197 departures and 165 arrivals were cancelled.

posted this is another thread. It's quite amazing.

Amazing. eastern iowa is at 36f and western iowa at 9f shows how strong that cold air is.

Look at the discrepencies from one end of the state to the other end, unreal how powerful it is.

http://www.usairnet....wa/temperature/

http://www.usairnet....owa/wind-speed/

http://www.usairnet....owa/dew-points/

http://www.usairnet....etric-pressure/

Similar spread in MN with 30 in Winona and -2 with winds gusting to 21 in Warroad

Similar spread in MN with 30 in Winona and -2 with winds gusting to 21 in Warroad

Yep, congrats to you. Over my way it's still up in the air, models are still going back and forth as to what may happen here, it is basically going to depend on how fast the cold air wraps in. we could see 2" or we could see 10" toughest forecast ive ever seen. But its pretty neat to watch the differences over that way. Just watching to see how fast the cold air takes over locations there.

1200 PM SNOW MINNEAPOLIS 44.96N 93.27W

12/11/2010 M11.7 INCH HENNEPIN MN OFFICIAL NWS OBS

STORM TOTAL AT KMSP AIRPORT...WITH 0.79 INCH LIQUID

EQUIVALENT. 6.8 INCHES IN THE LAST 6 HOURS. SNOW DRIFTS

BETWEEN 2 AND 3 FEET.

Definitely starting to pile up. Strong winds are really breaking apart the flakes aloft resulting in some really dusty and fine snow. Blows and drifts real easy.

post-999-0-88373000-1292092401.jpg

Those storms were awesome. I was still in college then, I remember those quick hitters. They were about a week apart...I had to give my synoptic discussions on them and I failed miserably. arrowheadsmiley.png

Definitely the best week in weather I've experienced. I remember spending much of that time discussing them on eastern as I had just joined there.

MSP airport is making out pretty well this storm at 11.7". Yet my normally reliable spotters in Chaska and Carver are nowhere to be found. If the nws office has published their measurements, I sure can't find them.

Just got an email from my parents saying they've got ridiculous drifting in the front yard... Claimed it was a four foot drift on the driveway against the garage (who knows if that accurate). But I'm glad to see the airport isn't lagging well behind chanhassen in the totals as often seems to be the case for one reason or another.

I don't know about areas north and east, but honestly this is impossible to measure...A rough estimate I would say around 6-7 inches so far...Visibility has been near 1/4 of a mile or less since about 7 AM..Awesome banding nearly stationary from just south of Mankato up towards the cities...and it's about to get more intense! The City of Mankato have pulled all the plows off the roads for the rest of the day and night.

post-193-0-97081000-1292092761.jpg

post-193-0-19760400-1292092771.jpg

post-193-0-20630100-1292092787.jpg

thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I am in blizzard warning now. Getting very nasty out, probably a foot of snow in accumulation. Going to get some video recorded in a bit.

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE TWIN CITIES/CHANHASSEN MN1105 AM CST SAT DEC 11 2010.

UPDATE...EXPANDED THE BLIZZARD WARNING NORTHWARD ANOTHER TIER OR SO OF MNCOUNTIES. INCREASING NNE WINDS ON BACK SIDE OF SFC LOW LIFTINGINTO NE IA CAUSING WDSPRD VSBYS AOB 1/4SM. THIS MOVES BLIZZARDWARNING INTO THE S AND W TWIN CITIES METRO AREA AND THEN TOWARDTHE WILLMAR AREA. WILL REVISIT THE EXPIRATION TIMES OF ALLWARNINGS IN THE AFTN FCST PACKAGE.

I don't know about areas north and east, but honestly this is impossible to measure...A rough estimate I would say around 6-7 inches so far...Visibility has been near 1/4 of a mile or less since about 7 AM..Awesome banding nearly stationary from just south of Mankato up towards the cities...and it's about to get more intense! The City of Mankato have pulled all the plows off the roads for the rest of the day and night.

post-193-0-97081000-1292092761.jpg

post-193-0-19760400-1292092771.jpg

post-193-0-20630100-1292092787.jpg

Yes quite amazing pics, looks really foggy there in your last 2 pics.

Running as we speak :thumbsup:

Awesome popcorn.gif

Great pictures! Keep them coming while it's still light out. It might not be snowing here, but at least I can see good snow on the computer.

Hey Ryan, what is your thoughts on the Lake Effect situation? I'm afraid to really say much of anything. It really all depends on where this low pressure ends up and how strong it ends up being.

Right now lake instability looks great. However, I cannot seem to pull through the fact that the flow is going to be extraordinarily strong. Sure, that may help with inland penetration, but organization/strength/consolidation of a strong heavy band...ehh...

As flow eases, I think this thing could rip (there's a window between easing of the flow and dry air infiltration that seems to be pretty favorable). Especially in SW Michigan/LaPorte/St. Joseph Counties.

Right now my hunch is to go for moderate lake accumulations possible basically across the entire northern 1/3rd of Indiana. arrowheadsmiley.png

I'll look into it later, but I have to study for finals sometime. I'm already running 36 hours deep with no sleep.

10 minutes ago my snow(big flakes, widely spaced, no accumulation) briefly changed back to rain, but then it just started dumping heavy snow with smaller flakes. The ground is quickly turning white. My rain total was 0.53".

Congrats! Should rip pretty good there for the next few hours until the dry slot arrives. At least it turned over soon enough that you'll get some bonus accumulations before it arrives.

The bright banding around the QC continues to look more impressive. I would imagine if that continues we may start to see a changeover sooner than thought.

If you get time, will you explain why the models are trying to put out .15 or so tenths of precip over my area tomorrow, even though models are occluded with the lows and temps are really cold which I thought would dry things out. spme of the hi res models almost look like they show convective elements to things.

It is easy to look at models and see some omega and RH and see qpf being generated, but I don't know why.

Massive wrap around. Actually not a TROWAL this time even though it looks like one. A little different dynamically. IN this case as the compact and intense PV anomaly "wraps" into itself as the main upper low tracks SE, regions of ascent/divergence aloft results in a flow field originating near the actual low level surface cyclone which flows into the upper low to compensate the mass divergence aloft. That is a pretty simplistic reasoning but it is pretty much what is physically happening. It is a massive comma head, and it is different than a TROWAL because there is no warm air wrapping around the cyclone in the mid-levels. It behaves differently and forms for differing reasons. Features like this are more typical of oceanic storms where the initial shortwave deepens rapidly and "wraps" into the main upper low, sometimes multiple times as the lack of low level friction can support deep circulations a lot longer. Land storms are typically dissipated much faster by boundary layer Ekman Pumping owing to friction in equivalent barotropic (stacked or nearly stacked non-baroclinic) lows.

Archived