• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
THE GUESS THREAD

Nikolai

Prize? The knowledge that you won a guessing contest on a weather board.

Guess the total snow each station this weekend receives (the "winner" will be the one who has the closest sum-total), with the tie-breaker being the lowest temperature recorded by any listed station Saturday night.

My guess:

NYC: 4.0"

EWR: 4.5"

LGA: 1.5"

JFK: 1.0"

Total: 11.0"

Lowest temperature Saturday evening: 28, at KEWR.

GO!

-gulp-

I'm going bullish here on this given the crazy dynamics and cold air available for the storm to work with. I think it will do wonders once this goes boom.

NYC: 4.5"

EWR: 6.0"

LGA: 3.5"

JFK: 2.5"

Total: 16.5"

Lowest Temp: 32 at EWR

I know it doesn't count, but here's some for kicks:

MPO: 14.5"

UNV: 8.0"

POU: 10.0"

ABE: 8.5"

ORH: 13.0"

trace across the board...

My guess is that NYC has a shot to get an inch of slushy accumulation, but that isn't assured. FWIW, on October 26, 1859 (a decade before the NWS began keeping regular records), a storm brought 4" snow to the NYC area and 3" to Newark. Hence, if everything worked out perfectly, one could not rule out a heavier thumping. Right now, I think appreciable accumulations will occur only outside the City, but NYC is not out of the game for such an accumulation.

My guess is that NYC has a shot to get an inch of slushy accumulation, but that isn't assured. FWIW, on October 26, 1859 (a decade before the NWS began keeping regular records), a storm brought 4" snow to the NYC area and 3" to Newark. Hence, if everything worked out perfectly, one could not rule out a heavier thumping. Right now, I think appreciable accumulations will occur only outside the City, but NYC is not out of the game for such an accumulation.

there is the chance NYC will get accumulating snow if it falls after dark and temperatures get down to 34 or lower...I'd like to see it and I'm hoping it happens...

On 10/27/1962 Central Park recored a trace of snow...0.5" at JFK and 1.2" in LGA...I remember walking on 65th St and 12th Ave in Brooklyn that evening...It was snowing but not sticking to streets and sidewalks...October 1962 started out on the mild side but got colder near the end of the month...This year is similar...November 1962 was on the cold side...It had a snow to rain event with a dusting in spots...The winter of 1962-63 was one of the coldest ever but snowfall was lacking...This year I bet it's not as cold as that year and not as dry...I think we get more snow also which isn't saying much...The 1.2" in LGA is the most I came up with for our area for October since 1869...

Prize? The knowledge that you won a guessing contest on a weather board.

Guess the total snow each station this weekend receives (the "winner" will be the one who has the closest sum-total), with the tie-breaker being the lowest temperature recorded by any listed station Saturday night.

My guess:

NYC: 4.0"

EWR: 4.5"

LGA: 1.5"

JFK: 1.0"

Total: 11.0"

Lowest temperature Saturday evening: 28, at KEWR.

GO!

NYC: 1.4"

EWR: 2.1"

LGA: 0.6"

JFK: Trace

Lowest temp at KEWR Saturday evening: 33F

Archived