joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Winter Storm Threat for New England 2011/12 - II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah I ignore the lower levels. It seemed like south of the Pike had a stubborn warm layer at 800mb. On the GFS anyways. I suppose it could be on the warmer side there..and likely also a function if dynamics to a point.

Oh yeah, I see it now. I thought you were talking about here up through N ORH county...and I couldn't see the warm layer on the soundings. I guess right near the 0C 850 line there is a bit of inversion around the CT border and Mt. Tolland.

I forget...are your parents living in the Laconia area yet? What are your thoughts for this area?

They just got a place there..nothing permanent, but a vacation home.

I think you are in a good spot for some accumulation. I suppose a bigger question mark is if the best QPF is south of you, but I think you are in good shape for maybe 1-3". How high are you? That will also have an impact.

Oh yeah, I see it now. I thought you were talking about here up through N ORH county...and I couldn't see the warm layer on the soundings. I guess right near the 0C 850 line there is a bit of inversion around the CT border and Mt. Tolland.

It's that gradient again...lol. Boy is it sharp. The GFS does get close to 0C at 800mb in your area, but again..don't know how realistic that is. It seems to do that as the best lift exists.

I think you are in a good spot for some accumulation. I suppose a bigger question mark is if the best QPF is south of you, but I think you are in good shape for maybe 1-3". How high are you? That will also have an impact.

Scooter was that link I gave you in your thread what you were looking for. FYI check the cited ones too.

It's that gradient again...lol. Boy is it sharp. The GFS does get close to 0C at 800mb in your area, but again..don't know how realistic that is. It seems to do that as the best lift exists.

Yeah here's the point sounding for here at 00z Thu evening...you can see the torch below 910mb

111025223736.gif

I've been leaning D-2". I'm 200' up a hill, but still only at 615'. The top of my hill peaks near 900'. If I get into some deformation and heavier rates I can envision myself dropping to near 32F and accumulating for a bit during the last few hours, but a NAM scenario probably spells doom for me other than a slushy coating. October snow is bonus snow so whatever happens I can't complain.

All a function of. NE inflow off warm water, get that flow NNE or N and you flip faster than Theo.

Well even a 040-050 wind shouldn't be an issue here...GFS loves to keep the LLs torched quite frequently. As mentioned before, even the fairly warm Euro was much colder in the boundary layer at that point.

Yeah probably. I would like to see the ec ensembles trend west though. The op euro is really the only thing giving me significant snow. So I should probably toss everything else.

Yeah, The euro ensembles going SE each run is not a good sign up here any ways because of the low track, I think you will keep seeing the op shift with them as well, But has it gone as far as it will go or does it continue? Thats the question, I thinks we will see the Euro continue to shift SE and the GFS will continue NW and then we end up getting just whiffed by both, Hope i am totally wrong

Yeah here's the point sounding for here at 00z Thu evening...you can see the torch below 910mb

With that ENE wind I would think you'll cool nicely on the hill there. You seem to get some upslope enhancement on that wind flow in the lower levels and a little forced orographic lift can lead to that localized cooling of another 0.5-1.0C up on the hilltops. That's another reason why the east slopes of the Berks might cool quicker relative to surroundings if there's a 20-25kt easterly flow into the Berkshire crest.

I've been leaning D-2". I'm 200' up a hill, but still only at 615'. The top of my hill peaks near 900'. If I get into some deformation and heavier rates I can envision myself dropping to near 32F and accumulating for a bit during the last few hours, but a NAM scenario probably spells doom for me other than a slushy coating. October snow is bonus snow so whatever happens I can't complain.

Well 615' isn't bad considering how cool aloft it is. If you can get into the good lift than yeah I think 2" or maybe better is possible. Obviously crappy moisture and lift and you're not getting more than a flake. I feel like that latter won't be an issue so I feel pretty good for you.

I think this is reasonable from channel 7. Maybe move the C-1" a little north, and include a stripe of 2-4" near Pete/MPM/Nate....but its pretty good anyway. Everyone sees 1-3" and assumes 3" anyway so no need to go all out on tv.

One problem with the map though is it shows Hartford where Tolland is practically.

special-560x389.jpg?10251606

I think this is reasonable from channel 7. Maybe move the C-1" a little north, and include a stripe of 2-4" near Pete/MPM/Nate....but its pretty good anyway. Everyone sees 1-3" and assumes 3" anyway so no need to go all out on tv.

One problem with the map though is it shows Hartford where Tolland is practically.

special-560x389.jpg?10251606

It also looks like that dip southward in the 1-3" range for ORH county is too far west...doesn't line up with the best terrain.

Archived