• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Oct Banter/Obs IV...........

Mr Torchey

Some models try to make things somewhat interesting later next week. GFS ensembles have a low offshore and the 00z euro ensembles don't have this low..but they do have a weakness in low pressure offshore. It probably won't be anything, but maybe something remotely interesting to watch.

Interesting as in potential first flakes?

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, possibly for some...but of course it may be relegated to the higher elevations. I wouldn't really look into this too deeply.

Is there a site with a list of dates by year showing first flakes for major sites? I'd be curious to see what percentage of say the last 100 years first flakes fell in October, November, etc...

It happens. You watch the temps here closely, cool microclimate. Literally.

Oh I know.. I said that tongue in cheek but it's true sometimes. I still have never heard a good meteorological reason for why the east slope down there can run cooler during the daytime than anywhere else in New England including elevated areas of far NE VT.

Oh I know.. I said that tongue in cheek but it's true sometimes. I still have never heard a good meteorological reason for why the east slope down there can run cooler during the daytime than anywhere else in New England including elevated areas of far NE VT.

It would seem to be impossible that the temps in West Chesterfield and Shelburne can rival those of the Northeast Kingdom. OTOH I'm sure the leading citizens of those hamlets will offer their explanation.

Is there a site with a list of dates by year showing first flakes for major sites? I'd be curious to see what percentage of say the last 100 years first flakes fell in October, November, etc...

I don't know about SNE...but Albany has a great record of snowfall stats. Specifically...here's the dates of the first & last snowfall (trace or more) dating back to 1885.

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/aly/climatef/seasonsofsnowfall1.htm

It's interesting that for Albany, the average date of first flakes is Oct 31. So it's more or less 50/50 whether the first flakes come in Oct or Nov. Looks like this year will be the latter.

Def a windy torch out there. Quite windy in fact.

Please dont be negative, this is a snow board, talking about what is actually going on outside is not allowed unless its bitter cold and snowing. This has been a chilly fall, and we can now focus on the snow threat just before Halloweenie, which models are starting to hone in on, almost time to la la la lock it up.:snowman:

It's a torch afternoon--got up to 63.8. Interestingly, have dropped to 62.7--not sure what would have caused that drop. It's cooler just across the border, but with the south wind, not sure why that would impact things.

Top gust of 16mph--better than yesterday.

Out for a run.

Cold air is advecting in from the south.

Like these windy days as they help turn the water over on the lakes and ponds. Let's get em cooled off and frozen quick. We're thinking of building another ice boat. Last one was fun but suffered a career ending injury.

When are you usually able to get on the ponds, near xmas?

Like these windy days as they help turn the water over on the lakes and ponds. Let's get em cooled off and frozen quick. We're thinking of building another ice boat. Last one was fun but suffered a career ending injury.

The whole pond has to reach ~ 4 degrees celcius before the pond starts to freeze. Then, once the water is all that temperature it can start to freeze from the top down. Does the wind mixing a pond for a few hours really matter, in that case? I can see how it'd mix the colder water up to the top I guess.

Deep deep :weenie:

the CMC tries to do this once every autumn it seems... It takes a full bird TC right up into a baroclinic wall, fuses the two together, and produces some kind of hyper scenario of 77F DP in warm sector while it is snowing like a blizzard over western NF.

Never seen that happen, though the annals suggest it has happened before. Gotta figure something like that to be exceptionally rare... Although, the "Perfect Storm" as it were was similar, just didn't have the cold air... And it also went back to warm phase at the end, too... weird.

the CMC tries to do this once every autumn it seems... It takes a full bird TC right up into a baroclinic wall, fuses the two together, and produces some kind of hyper scenario of 77F DP in warm sector while it is snowing like a blizzard over western NF.

Never seen that happen, though the annals suggest it has happened before. Gotta figure something like that to be exceptionally rare... Although, the "Perfect Storm" as it were was similar, just didn't have the cold air... And it also went back to warm phase at the end, too... weird.

Maps?

Archived