e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Oct Banter/Obs IV...........

Mr Torchey

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Time will tell, as it stands the pattern is very similar.

I've heard some people talk about the similarities between '08-'09. Even Dec '08 was almost 1F above normal and we still did well. I'm not so sure on a cold December, but as we know..it doesn't have to be very cold to get snow. I think we'll still have blocking, but just nothing like last year. But, who knows...time will tell.

I've heard some people talk about the similarities between '08-'09. Even Dec '08 was almost 1F above normal and we still did well. I'm not so sure on a cold December, but as we know..it doesn't have to be very cold to get snow. I think we'll still have blocking, but just nothing like last year. But, who knows...time will tell.

Last Sept and This Sept were pretty similar. The evolution of Oct is yet to be determined.4177f24c-2410-ae26.jpg4177f24c-241a-2f79.jpg

Probably a stupid question, but what do you mean by cold air advection?

It just describes the process of cold air moving into the region. To advect something is to take that quantity from one area, and move it into another area. In meteorology, we describe airmasses moving into the region as being advected in. So when you hear the guy on TV say cold air is moving into the region, he means cold air advection.

Last Sept and This Sept were pretty similar. The evolution of Oct is yet to be determined.4177f24c-2410-ae26.jpg4177f24c-241a-2f79.jpg

Well in the last few years we had good blocking develop in later November. It weakened in Dec '08 with the NAO being + before a return of blocking later in the month. We know how Jan '09 went. We'll see about this year. It's not just the NAO region...we should look at the NPAC too.

Well in the last few years we had good blocking develop in later November. It weakened in Dec '08 with the NAO being + before a return of blocking later in the month. We know how Jan '09 went. We'll see about this year. It's not just the NAO region...we should look at the NPAC too.

The thing I do not like about the 08/09 comparison is 084177f24c-283e-a2c8.jpg4177f24c-2848-0144.jpg4177f24c-2853-a4ca.jpg July - Sept was cold nationwide while the similarities of 10 and 11 are close.

It just describes the process of cold air moving into the region. To advect something is to take that quantity from one area, and move it into another area. In meteorology, we describe airmasses moving into the region as being advected in. So when you hear the guy on TV say cold air is moving into the region, he means cold air advection.

Great explanation...thanks.

The thing I do not like about the 08/09 comparison is 084177f24c-283e-a2c8.jpg4177f24c-2848-0144.jpg4177f24c-2853-a4ca.jpg July - Sept was cold nationwide while the similarities of 10 and 11 are close.

In this country the current wx is different, but other things like ENSO, PDO/AMO are similar. Like with any analogs, it doesn't have to work out like that, but there are similarities.

Good explanation Scott. I kind of think we should have a thread somewhere (maybe in the main forum) designated for "Meteorology 101" where people can ask questions and the pros can answer them.

just checked the rain gauge and looks like another .3" fell overnight and this morning bringing event total to just a hair under .8"

What were the highest totals in SNE?

EWB got 2.22". I think parts of that area had a little more than that. PYM got 2.04"

It became more prolonged. Even up until the day before it seemed like it would be more of a short duration event and I also thought the rain would be heavier in parts of the area, but the low remained a little more disjointed down the coast.

Archived