amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
October Banter/ Disco II

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro ensembles really show no end to the above normal pattern after this cold shot coming up. At least the 12z ensemble mean. It looked like there might be a shot at a transient airmass that is slightly cooler than the surrounding pattern around mid-month, but certainly nothing I'd consider cold.

It looks like we will end up with a very warm October on the means unless we see a huge cooldown in the final 7-10 days of the month as we get closer to it. But as of now, there is nothing in the larger scale pattern that hints at that happening.

Euro ensembles really show no end to the above normal pattern after this cold shot coming up. At least the 12z ensemble mean. It looked like there might be a shot at a transient airmass that is slightly cooler than the surrounding pattern around mid-month, but certainly nothing I'd consider cold.

It looks like we will end up with a very warm October on the means unless we see a huge cooldown in the final 7-10 days of the month as we get closer to it. But as of now, there is nothing in the larger scale pattern that hints at that happening.

I agree. I originally thought 0.7 to 1.5 or so above normal, but that may be too cool. I just hope we have the door shut on the warmth rather abruptly later in November. I wonder if our biggest concern this winter is more with the Bering Sea pattern...and not necessarily the NAO. By no means am I suggesting anything...just talking about the pattern, but I think that area is the spot to watch going forward. Hopefully we begin to see ridging develop in that area.

I agree. I originally thought 0.7 to 1.5 or so above normal, but that may be too cool. I just hope we have the door shut on the warmth rather abruptly later in November. I wonder if our biggest concern this winter is more with the Bering Sea pattern...and not necessarily the NAO. By no means am I suggesting anything...just talking about the pattern, but I think that area is the spot to watch going forward. Hopefully we begin to see ridging develop in that area.

Yeah I'm not too concerned right now. Its not terribly uncommon to see the October pattern flip around up there. 1995 and 2007 both had awful bering sea patterns but then flipped shortly after. I'm sure there's other years further back too but those were just off the top of my head.

It can be a pain to wait for the first real shots of arctic air to come down in those patterns, but usually its worth the wait as long as you flip the pattern...it will then allow stuff to flood right down. But I think there is little doubt now that this month will come in heavily positive.

Yeah I'm not too concerned right now. Its not terribly uncommon to see the October pattern flip around up there. 1995 and 2007 both had awful bering sea patterns but then flipped shortly after. I'm sure there's other years further back too but those were just off the top of my head.

It can be a pain to wait for the first real shots of arctic air to come down in those patterns, but usually its worth the wait as long as you flip the pattern...it will then allow stuff to flood right down. But I think there is little doubt now that this month will come in heavily positive.

I remember '95. We had to wait until the snow event later in the month and it was off to the races. I'm not worried in the least bit, but I'm going to keep an eye on that area now and then. You know by late month if we continue with this warmth, there will be some claiming this winter will torch..lol.

I remember '95. We had to wait until the snow event later in the month and it was off to the races. I'm not worried in the least bit, but I'm going to keep an eye on that area now and then. You know by late month if we continue with this warmth, there will be some claiming this winter will torch..lol.

We had a snow event in Oct '95? I don't remember anything until about 11/11 or so.

But yeah, if the month doesn't come in cold, its certainly not the end of the world...but you want to start maybe seeing some hints of the Aleutian ridge building up on the ensembles at the end of the month...meaning toward mid-November on those longer range ensembles.

We'll have to see how well snow cover is doing by the end of the month too.

We had a snow event in Oct '95? I don't remember anything until about 11/11 or so.

But yeah, if the month doesn't come in cold, its certainly not the end of the world...but you want to start maybe seeing some hints of the Aleutian ridge building up on the ensembles at the end of the month...meaning toward mid-November on those longer range ensembles.

We'll have to see how well snow cover is doing by the end of the month too.

Oh I meant November '95. Sorry about that.

So what you're saying in a nut shell is that this winter is going to be like 95-96 :weenie:Snowman.gif

(jk obviously)

mini torch today on downsloping west winds in favored locations, cool down is extremely brief, barely two days. Warm up looks insane, endless summer returns, the torch of our lives. Looks like a fantastic beach weekend especially Sunday Monday, some cornhole, horseshoes, a bbq, some cool watermelon.........good times good times!

Circle of Sizzle~

mini torch today on downsloping west winds in favored locations, cool down is extremely brief, barely two days. Warm up looks insane, endless summer returns, the torch of our lives. Looks like a fantastic beach weekend especially Sunday Monday, some cornhole, horseshoes, a bbq, some cool watermelon.........good times good times!

Circle of Sizzle~

Seasonable today for most except sw ct where winter will torch, but tomorrow and Friday will be cool for sure. However, torch starts Saturday with record highs in some areas...esp at 2k.

The 06z GFS is showing some signs of that too wayy out there lol.

Don't be shocked if this is a classic case of models rushing things. We see this every year in November when Kevin claims winter is coming, and it's delayed by 3-4 weeks. I almost guarantee that happens this year.

Circle of Sizzle~

Switch hitter?

Archived