99 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Meteorology Background

• Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • M.S. in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Ph.D in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Pursuing Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Some Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology Courses With No Degree
    • No Atmospheric Science/Meteorology Courses
    • Pro Met (Working in the field of meteorology with no degree)
    • Storm Chaser/Hurricane Hunting
    • Related Degree (GIS/Geography/Oceanography/Climate/Mathematics/Engineering, etc.)
    • Emergency Manager
    • Meteorology Consulting

EDIT:

I added a few more options. Also, we are not in any way trying to suggest less formal education means you are less knowledgeable about weather. Some of our most knowledgeable mets have no formal backgrounds at all. The desire here is to retrieve demographic information regarding our forum members.

I have always been curious as to what our forum ratio of meteorologists to non-meteorologists is. Even if you are an enthusiast with no formal background, please vote! It would be great to see a breakdown in terms of numbers. If you can, just for the fun of it, list where you received your degree/degrees or courses as well as any other random information you may want to add including graduate degree work. For the non-mets, list what interested you so much with weather.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non-met, as I've mentioned before that I'm a novice (I've only really been interested in the science aspect of weather for about five years or so. What sparked my interest was watching TWC starting in 1998 as a 7-year old (I mention that b/c it's such a weird hobby for a typical 7-year old, I know). In the last five years as TWC's weather coverage has gone downhill, I started to turn to additional sources and become interested in weather for its own sake. I'm a senior at Marquette University (not majoring in meteorology, though).

I have always been curious as to what our forum ratio of meteorologists to non-meteorologists is. Even if you are an enthusiast with no formal background, please vote! It would be great to see a breakdown in terms of numbers. If you can, just for the fun of it, list where you received your degree/degrees or courses as well as any other random information you may want to add including graduate degree work. For the non-mets, list what interested you so much with weather.

I feel the poll is somewhat flawed, in that it lumps all people with no coursework into one generic category.

Some very, very experienced chasers and researchers have no coursework in meteorology. Is that the same as an armchair enthusiast who follows snow totals in their backyard? It seems that if you want to understand the community and its sub-communities, you need to have more gradations for the large very group that has not had formal education, because many of us are very active in the field-- chasing, documenting, blogging, collecting data, etc.

I feel the poll is somewhat flawed, in that it lumps all people with no coursework into one generic category.

Some very, very experienced chasers and researchers have no coursework in meteorology. Is that the same as an armchair enthusiast who follows snow totals in their backyard? It seems that if you want to understand the community and its sub-communities, you need to have more gradations for the large very group that has not had formal education, because many of us are very active in the field-- chasing, documenting, blogging, collecting data, etc.

I think he's just interested specifically in determining the educational background of the subforum, as opposed to knowledge level, which is a whole different beast.

I think he's just interested specifically in determining the educational background of the subforum, as opposed to knowledge level, which is a whole different beast.

Exactly. I hope nobody believes I am suggesting this poll is an indication formal education equates to knowledge level. Just interested in regional demographics.

In the last five years as TWC's weather coverage has gone downhill, I started to turn to additional sources and become interested in weather for its own sake.

I disagree, TWC has really IMPROVED their coverage in the last couple years. It use to be downright hideous.

Anyways, Weather is just a hobby for me..became a avid storm chaser at the ripe age of 16 after being a member of storm track when it was in its prime. Otherwise I'm just your average blue collar Minnesotan who uses his vacation time to storm chase.

Currently a freshman at the university of Michigan and I plan on majoring in atmospheric science. Not taking any specific met classes atm though.

I briefly declared that as my major there 8 years ago, before switching. They've continually tweaked and modified the program. I think when I left it was more of an engineering curriculum with less focus on forecasting meteorology. Good luck!

I sort of agree with Josh on this one. While my degree is not related to meteorology, my former employment provided for specialized training and OEM experience that worked well with my meteorological interests and provided specialized services that has continued throughout my life. Ones life experiences cannot be ignored as well.

I briefly declared that as my major there 8 years ago, before switching. They've continually tweaked and modified the program. I think when I left it was more of an engineering curriculum with less focus on forecasting meteorology. Good luck!

Yeah, its part of the engineering school right now, and it does seem like they have a focus on engineering, but we'll see.

I disagree, TWC has really IMPROVED their coverage in the last couple years. It use to be downright hideous.

Anyways, Weather is just a hobby for me..became a avid storm chaser at the ripe age of 16 after being a member of storm track when it was in its prime. Otherwise I'm just your average blue collar Minnesotan who uses his vacation time to storm chase.

Well, I would agree with the last year, but starting in the mid 00s is when it went seriously downhill. They are preempting long form programming for weather a little more frequently now than two or three years ago, but since 2005 or so there has been too much long form.

Just finished my bachelors in finance at Walsh College in Troy Michigan (Business College). Currently attempting to receive a bachelors in IT. Went to Central Michigan my first two years, when I was 19, with the plan to study meteorology. Math along with the costs proved to be a little too much for me. Was young and dumb and probably didn't put forth the best effort/time into it. Still thinking about possibly returning in the next few years to fulfill my dreams of becomming a meteorologist, which I have been interested in since I was 15. I used to watch the weather channel, especially the weekly planner segment, hoping they would mention the possibility of a winter storm in the midwest region. After discovering the accuweather/american forums (thanks to google) about 3-4 years I have never gone back to TWC. After reading up on some of the forums, I found out about all the different weather model web pages. Still consider myself a novice (as it probably shows in some of my posts) as far as scientifically, and the way the models actually process formuals to depict the weather. Truly just a weather enthusiast as of now. Hopefully that will change soon.

Archived