99 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Meteorology Background

• Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • M.S. in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Ph.D in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Pursuing Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Some Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology Courses With No Degree
    • No Atmospheric Science/Meteorology Courses
    • Pro Met (Working in the field of meteorology with no degree)
    • Storm Chaser/Hurricane Hunting
    • Related Degree (GIS/Geography/Oceanography/Climate/Mathematics/Engineering, etc.)
    • Emergency Manager
    • Meteorology Consulting

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do they still have a Met program? I know they used to. I applied, but then on their supplement they wouldn't even let me choose Meteorology as a major.

U of M is a great school to get into though! Congrats! Is it in-state for you?

You can get a degree in Atmospheric Sciences through the Engineering program. Obviously its not as Met focused as some other schools, but its in-state for me and it will at least be enough for my undergrad. I can always go to somewhere more meteorology-specific for graduate school. And thanks.

You can get a degree in Atmospheric Sciences through the Engineering program. Obviously its not as Met focused as some other schools, but its in-state for me and it will at least be enough for my undergrad. I can always go to somewhere more meteorology-specific for graduate school. And thanks.

Sounds like a plan. The main limiting factor for me was money. I really wanted to go to Cornell for a while (if I even got in, that is) but racking up a $200,000+ undergrad bill for the same met creds I get at Valpo just wasn't worth it. Same thing with U of M since it's out of state for me.

I went to Ohio State for 2 quarters and was an Atmospheric Science major. I dropped out and worked a bunch of jobs, but kept reading AMS journals and anything weather related I could get my hands on. I really regret leaving OSU...however, I am wrapping up my business degree and plan on enrolling in Mississippi State's distance MS in Geosciences/Applied Meteorology program.

I'm currently employed at a Property Insurance company as an analyst/meteorologist in the claims department. I do a lot of damage analysis and predictive claim modeling. I also issue a daily report that gets distributed throughout our branch of the company. I'm hoping by going through MSU's program, that I can become a "company-wide" meteorologist, as we have other arms of our company that our impacted by the weather. I also started storm chasing in IL/IN/OH this past Spring to get a better understanding of the storm/damage correlation. I saw pretty much every phenomenon except a tornado (although a few wall clouds) this past year. Some might say that not seeing a tornado makes for an unsuccessful season, but I learned a lot. My favorite was watching a supercell get absorbed by a QLCS in Illinois in April.

I don't have a meteorological background as I majored in economics at York University in Toronto. However, I did take a Weather and Climate course as part of the natural science requirement to graduate.

When I was young, I watched the Weather Network (Canada's Weather Channel) every day. It was my main source of weather information, but I also I watched the Environment Canada weather channel in the late 80s and early 90s. This channel (no longer in service) was simply a simulcast of the weather radio station (only available if you had a weather radio). At that time, actual public forecasters were used instead of computer generated voiceovers, like today. Also, the text of the forecast and current conditions were displayed, as well as the climate data for the downtown Toronto weather station. In addition to this, I watched the local TV stations in Toronto for weather--Harold Hosein from CityTV (now CityNews) , Bill Lawrence (CBC) and Dave Devall (CFTO/CTV).

I don't have a meteorological background as I majored in economics at York University in Toronto. However, I did take a Weather and Climate course as part of the natural science requirement to graduate.

When I was young, I watched the Weather Network (Canada's Weather Channel) every day. It was my main source of weather information, but I also I watched the Environment Canada weather channel in the late 80s and early 90s. This channel (no longer in service) was simply a simulcast of the weather radio station (only available if you had a weather radio). At that time, actual public forecasters were used instead of computer generated voiceovers, like today. Also, the text of the forecast and current conditions were displayed, as well as the climate data for the downtown Toronto weather station. In addition to this, I watched the local TV stations in Toronto for weather--Harold Hosein from CityTV (now CityNews) , Bill Lawrence (CBC) and Dave Devall (CFTO/CTV).

I was a big TWN fan too growing up. As my forecasting acumen improved with experience, I found myself watching it less and less. Since Chris Scott left for the backrooms, I hardly watch it all. The best qualities of TWN's presenters nowadays seems to be in their bras.

I was a big TWN fan too growing up. As my forecasting acumen improved with experience, I found myself watching it less and less. Since Chris Scott left for the backrooms, I hardly watch it all. The best qualities of TWN's presenters nowadays seems to be in their bras.

It's too bad that Chris Murphy and Anne Marie Sweeney are no longer on air. Murphy is still behind the scenes at TWN, but AMS is no longer there (her last day was July 21st). Karen Johnson, who used to do the Toronto morning show, is now working the late weeknight shift. The presenters that I like watching are Kim MacDonald, Natalie Thomas, Suzanne Leonard and Chris St. Clair, though he was much better ten years ago.

As for the local TV stations, I'm impressed with the weather team of Adam Stiles and Natasha Ramshai of CItyNews. Anthony Farnell of Global and Nick Czernkovich of CBC Toronto are also good. CFTO/CTV Toronto...meh.

It's too bad that Chris Murphy and Anne Marie Sweeney are no longer on air. Murphy is still behind the scenes at TWN, but AMS is no longer there (her last day was July 21st). Karen Johnson, who used to do the Toronto morning show, is now working the late weeknight shift. The presenters that I like watching are Kim MacDonald, Natalie Thomas, Suzanne Leonard and Chris St. Clair, though he was much better ten years ago.

As for the local TV stations, I'm impressed with the weather team of Adam Stiles and Natasha Ramshai of CItyNews. Anthony Farnell of Global and Nick Czernkovich of CBC Toronto are also good. CFTO/CTV Toronto...meh.

No tears for the departed Karen Johnson. She was an airhead as far as I'm concerned. And I haven't watched St. Clair in months (maybe more than a year) so can you explain why he's declined?

No tears for the departed Karen Johnson. She was an airhead as far as I'm concerned. And I haven't watched St. Clair in months (maybe more than a year) so can you explain why he's declined?

Actually Karen Johnson and Anne Marie Sweeney worked together on the late night shift for a couple of weeks in July before AMS left.

As for Chris St. Clair, he hasn't really declined. He's still sharp as usual, but to be honest, he was much better when he did the evening shift in the late 90s with Lila Feng or Colette Kennedy. TWN should consider having another co-host join St. Clair on weekend mornings, like Natalie Thomas.

Actually Karen Johnson and Anne Marie Sweeney worked together on the late night shift for a couple of weeks in July before AMS left.

As for Chris St. Clair, he hasn't really declined. He's still sharp as usual, but to be honest, he was much better when he did the evening shift in the late 90s with Lila Feng or Colette Kennedy. TWN should consider having another co-host join St. Clair on weekend mornings, like Natalie Thomas.

I actually like when there are sole hosts (St. Clair, Gary Ryan in the afternoon back in the late 1990s). Less banter and more focusing on the weather. Frankly, the one time I saw St. Clair with co-host is when he filled in on the Toronto morning show for a few days about 10 years ago. It was really awkward. He doesn't seem to have the appropriate social skills. But you've seen more of him so maybe I caught him on a couple of bad days. :lol:

BS in biology in 1967. Lived in Kansas at the time and enjoyed tornado season and the severe weather. Then enjoyed the aviation weather early in the mornings on public TV. I became fascinated with the symbols and the maps and loved to follow storm progress. Worked in special ed and later in IT for a school system--was the person in the office who was asked if we would get a snow day or not. Now retired. Finding information on the internet was like finding a whole new world and it was good to discover I wasn't the only weird person around.

Archived