99 members have voted

1. 1. What is Your Meteorology Background

• Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • M.S. in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Ph.D in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Pursuing Bachelor of Science in Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology
    • Some Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology Courses With No Degree
    • No Atmospheric Science/Meteorology Courses
    • Pro Met (Working in the field of meteorology with no degree)
    • Storm Chaser/Hurricane Hunting
    • Related Degree (GIS/Geography/Oceanography/Climate/Mathematics/Engineering, etc.)
    • Emergency Manager
    • Meteorology Consulting

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Non-met, as I've mentioned before that I'm a novice (I've only really been interested in the science aspect of weather for about five years or so. What sparked my interest was watching TWC starting in 1998 as a 7-year old (I mention that b/c it's such a weird hobby for a typical 7-year old, I know). In the last five years as TWC's weather coverage has gone downhill, I started to turn to additional sources and become interested in weather for its own sake. I'm a senior at Marquette University (not majoring in meteorology, though).

You have taken some Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology courses before?

B.S. at the University of Washington.

Go Huskies! ;)

I just started on my track to getting a Ph. D. here at Penn State, but I'll still post in this forum highlighting Pac NW weather. :thumbsup:

Good luck man! Pretty awesome you got into PSU for grad school. Definitely looking forward to more Pac NW posts.

I sort of agree with Josh on this one. While my degree is not related to meteorology, my former employment provided for specialized training and OEM experience that worked well with my meteorological interests and provided specialized services that has continued throughout my life. Ones life experiences cannot be ignored as well.

I will try and add another category, possibly consulting?

That said, I think there is some confusion between both you and Josh as to what this poll is about. This is not an achievement or knowledge level poll. It is a poll to understand the demographics of our region. Personally I wanted to see what the ratio was between meteorologists and non-meteorologists, but it has since expanded to include many other groups whose work is considered weather related.

Non Met. == My fascination with weather started as a 4 year old boy..The house I grew up in had a tornado siren across the street. So needles to say I always wondered what caused that beast to go off and scare the crap out of me..Moved on to the TWC when we got cable ( 7 years old or so) from then on I was hooked. Then came the internet!!! huge leap for my passion!! Reading books about weather through my teens and started to understand the basic sciences behind the atmosphere. Always wanted to be a Met..I took a few community college classes after High School and I decided college was not for me and pursued a good trade as an electrician. I'm 29 years old and happily married to a beautiful awesome wife ( who deals with my geeky weather side ).

I answered related field, I have a BS in petroleum engineering, but my school doesn't have a met program, I audited a class taught by a local TV station pro-met with a geography degree, but other than that, no course work, and I don't work in the field. Troy Kimmel would probably be an orange tagger at American, but I suspect he could hold his own with more than a few red taggers.

Trying to learn by reading threads by the smart people like HM, but a lot of his stuff is over my head. My wife got me the Uccellinni and Kocin snow storm book for Christmas years ago, and there is about 50 pages before the actual storm histories that I found an excellent primer in met for someone w/o a met or relayed degree.

You have taken some Atmospheric Sciences/Meteorology courses before?

Just one, last year. It was an intro course, as my major (Broadcasting with a minor in Political Science) bears no relationship with meteorology, and the intro course satisfied my science requirement. I am hoping to maybe take the next level of meteorology at UWM (probably after graduating this year). The course was taught by Paul Joseph, a retired weatherman from WTMJ4, local station in Milwaukee. He worked with/against Skilling way back when both were starting their met careers in MKE.

Just kinda taking classes at this local community college but expecting to transfer to either Northern Illinois or Kansas next year. Problem is I'm horrible at math so I may just go to Kansas and major in journalism and minor in Meteorology

Rock chalk

Mizzou has a pretty good journalism program ya know. =)

submitted.

I have been taking the slow road... I'll be finished with my A.S. in '12. Eventually the plan is to hopefully transfer to NIU and get my B.S. in meteorology...we'll see.

As many of you know I also chase severe wx across the region. Hopefully i'll be able to add tropical chasing next year.

I also forecasted for a landscaping company in the past, until they went under. I might be getting another gig eventually...we'll see how that goes. So if any of you know of anyone in search of a forecaster, contact me.

Archived