• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Central PA Fall Thread

Water vapor shows two things that stand out to me.

1) we're not done by any stretch, we will get more rain tonight

2) trough going negative, fetch increases frm the S and E, hits terrain of the Apps, orographic lift assists. More trouble.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

pretty strong wording in the new flash flood warnings

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED

FLASH FLOOD WARNING

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE STATE COLLEGE PA

700 PM EDT WED SEP 7 2011

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STATE COLLEGE PA HAS ISSUED A

* FLASH FLOOD WARNING FOR...

DAUPHIN COUNTY...

LANCASTER COUNTY...

LEBANON COUNTY...

YORK COUNTY...

* UNTIL 100 AM EDT THURSDAY...

* AT 656 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR ESTIMATES

AND RAIN GAGE REPORTS INDICATED VERY HEAVY RAIN MOVING OVER

DAUPHIN...LANCASTER...LEBANON AND YORK COUNTIES.

THIS IS A FLASH FLOOD EMERGENCY FOR THE WARNED AREA. NUMEROUS

ROADS ARE CLOSED...AND MANY WATER RESCUES AND EVACUATIONS HAVE

TAKEN PLACE

20z HRRR continues to target the same areas that got slammed today with this building wave coming out of the south. Really can't imagine the flooding carnage that has already taken place in the Sus Valley today. Something I had noted to myself this morning (and something CTP had mentioned in their disco) was fact that it was evident on wv imagery that the primary moisture fetch had made a jump east enough to point the focus for the excessive rainfall to the Sus Valley instead of what had been forecast by most modelling to be the central counties the last couple days. GFS was actually the model that came around to the further east axis last night when the NAM was still way west. Couldn't be much worse of an alignment from an overall basin flooding perspective with the axis of max rainfall right up the gut of the Susquehanna river basin. Up in BGM's region some points are forecast to be at or near the June 2006 flood levels, and that one tops the charts in a few places.

All FFW from Lancaster County up to Binghamton have the same wording. KBGM up to 6" on the day. Looking at the river, Swatara @ Hersey at 17.1' (1.1" above Record crest) and still a bit ahead of forecast. Loyalsock creek approaching record crest now, will exceed shortly. Towanda Creek @ Monroeton. Something funny with the reading. seems to level off in an unreasonable fashion but suddenly jumped to a reading 2.3" above record.

Look out Hazleton.

Pretty classic ingredients for heavy rain right now. Low level convergence, mid level convergence too where strong se-sse jet meeting up with more ssw winds behind the 925-850mb fronts. You then throw in the lift from jet entrance region and boom. Not to mention a little orographic help too.

Look out Hazleton.

Pretty classic ingredients for heavy rain right now. Low level convergence, mid level convergence too where strong se-sse jet meeting up with more ssw winds behind the 925-850mb fronts. You then throw in the lift from jet entrance region and boom. Not to mention a little orographic help too.

Well now, this got my attention as I'm only 15 miles south of Hazleton.

Not sure how long or transitory this band will be, but it could last a few hours and really dump on your mountainous locale.

Thanks for the analysis! We've picked up 6.25" since Sunday night/Monday morning, but was spared the onslaught that areas to our west received today. Flooding in my immediate vicinity is minimal at the moment, but any prolonged period of heavy rain, and I'm sure that will change.

It just absolutely poured in Lebanon for about 30 minutes. Can't imagine that will help things.

Insanity here NE of Lebanon. Have to imagine we are working towards 9" for the event. Our road is flooded as badly as I've ever seen it and there is 4-6" of water pooled in most of the yard, right up against the foundation.

Look out Hazleton.

Oh hai.

Wonderful...and if this rides up into W-B we'll have huge trouble.

Archived