e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

agreed. But this storm was still pretty cool out here....5+ hours of rain and winds 50-60...ill take it. and didnt lose power yet! it is still flickering every 5 min causing my router to restart which is very annoying...by the lack of suffolk posters im assuming nobody has power anymore

It definitely was fun to track and I loved the heavy rains and even the tornadoes :P I just wish more of it happened during the day.

MAAAAAAAAAAN, even when the days are longer than the nights we still get screwed with late night storms :P

so judging by our history - we have about 10-15 years till our next tropical event... Lets start the countdown..

Not really. Just from memory, we had the August 1971 event (forget the name), Belle in 1976, Gloria in 1985, Floyd in 1999, and then this one. Earl was a near-miss. I suspect the next chance will be sooner since overall we're back to 1950's type pattern; cold PDO phase, back to back 100+ readings during the summer, and later in the 1950's snowy winters.

LGA had one of the strongest winds of the whole storm.

Sustained 52mph and gusts to 67mph. 2am to 5am was wild.

If u were sleeping, you missed it and can't really comment.

I was up around then and at least in my area it was pretty tame. LGA probably had those gusts cause it is by the water and nothing is blocking the wind. Or it was just faulty readings, I dunno. I've driven around the area and there is hardly any damage or anything that looks like 50+ sustained winds were in the area last night.

I'm by where tornado went by in Queens on Francis Lewis blvd and 73rd ave.

Dozens of trees down. Scattered everywhere like they're twigs.

Reminds me of the bayside/flushing scene of last September.

Snapping pics.

Have driven a lot of Queens. This is the hardest hit area I've seen so far.

I was up around then and at least in my area it was pretty tame. LGA probably had those gusts cause it is by the water and nothing is blocking the wind. Or it was just faulty readings, I dunno. I've driven around the area and there is hardly any damage or anything that looks like 50+ sustained winds were in the area last night.

I've snapped dozens of trees down in Astoria alone.

I'm in Fresh Meadows right now and there are at least 20 trees down in only a 2-3 block radius.

The mess in my yard and streets are quite insane. I am lucky to even have power as few big branches were on the lines.

I didn't lose any big trees; but limbs, leaves and flowing water everywhere. Last night several trees limbs hitting the roof. Much more rain than March 2010.

Likely around 7-8 inches of rain had fallen.

Anyone know if there was significant flooding in the Rockaways?

I have not heard anything about that area at all. It seems even the worst effected areas it was patchy and very near the shore itself. There was an official NWS statement Bellmore was under 4 feet of water but my friend who didn't evacuate said maybe 10% of the area is under that much water and many streets are dry.

Huge branched knocked my basketball hoop down. Its probably broken wtf.

I also woke up at 5am to a transformer in flames across the street this morning.

atleast thats the worst of y problems here in Rutherford. Looks like people east of NYC got smacked

Archived