joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hatteras gusting to 84 mph now. Seeing now why you don't want to be on the east side of this, or should I say DIDN'T want to be on the east side had this been a cat 2 or strong cat 1 when it reached LI.,

Hatteras is pretty much an island and there is no land friction to slow the wind down.

Well if in 7 hours she goes to a Tropical Storm.. I believe Bloomberg won't shutdown mass transit like he said .. I went to the supermarket (walmart) -->people fighting for water ...no bread..no chips..no cookies.. I guess people will stay home eating for a while

They still will it was for flooding and 39 mph winds which well get

Is that from "Day After Tomorrow"

Even a tsunami won't look like that.

The media does have the responsibility to warn the people, and if overhyping it gets people to heed the warnings, so be it.

Are you serious? A tsunami wave can be as high as that wave. It would be considered a "mega-tsunami" and its actually a very real threat for the east coast in the future but that's a whole different discussion.

I think the jet streaks going to save this..It's already sucking this into a more western track as opposed to offshore.

The more west it goes, the more time it spends over NC and VA. It ain't going to strengthen over land.

The jet streak might be responsible for the current area of light rain in Cape May and eastwards.

Does anyone still think it will still be major Here but me?!

I think the biggest problem will be flooding, but you'll doubtlessly see at least 50mph sustained winds with gusts over 75mph in Brooklyn. But what's really concerning is the 10" of rain HPC calls for in essentially a 24-hour period, combining with previously waterlogged soils and storm surge. I could see the wind threat underperforming but the heavy rain/flooding being a huge concern for the area, as well as potential severe weather/tornadoes.

Every meteorologist on TV says a hurricane into New England. Dr Knabb on TWC says the pressure at 952 is way below what a Cat 1 pressure should be...says this is making up for the winds and its expansive nature.

Any chance still that this veers east and hits Boston as a Hurricane?

Don't worry you'll have your massive destruction many people i see i'll have to repeat myself haven't been through a couple one of these. The models are as good as yodels. Canes bring their own unpredictable environments wherever they want i'd bet tree destruction up to at 150 miles from the center this will make the jan 96 floods look pathetic .

This is Cantore's fault...wherever he goes the storm dies. He came to NYC on 12/19/09 and a dry air push of biblical proportions came down the CT river valley. The storm will probably undergo extratropical bombogenesis over New Hampshire and produce a stronger gust there than anywhere in NY.

I told someone exactly that the other day when a friend of mine mentioned they were nervous because Cantore was at the Battery ;)

Archived