joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is Cantore's fault...wherever he goes the storm dies. He came to NYC on 12/19/09 and a dry air push of biblical proportions came down the CT river valley. The storm will probably undergo extratropical bombogenesis over New Hampshire and produce a stronger gust there than anywhere in NY.

idk we were ok just east of the city, although I wanted those 30" totals Suffolk County got lol.

And the eyewall near shore dance begins....I love how every storm the eye parallels or jogs right for a bit before it comes ashore almost as if it knows it does not want to go over land.

I know! I've been noticing this for years. Do you think friction and wanting to take the path of least resistance causes this, SG?

Hatteras gusting to 84 mph now. Seeing now why you don't want to be on the east side of this, or should I say DIDN'T want to be on the east side had this been a cat 2 or strong cat 1 when it reached LI.,

NWS trained spotter is reporting sustained wind of 80 mph, gusts to 93 mph at Stacy, NC.

Reported by Wunderground on twitter

Alex you think i should bring in the bird feeder i just can't make up my mind such problems.I like Cantore but if you believe in bad luck with storms i'll never forget one time he was reporting in Mass. doing obs for a snowstorm and thunder scared the **** at of him happened to me last winter.

Euro and GFS both have her pulsing a little and she goes back over water soon and then maintaining the strength as she comes right up the Jersey coast and right into NYC.

IMO, take off 15-20mph from what's occuring in NC and that's what we should expect.

Euro and GFS both have her pulsing a little and she goes back over water soon and then maintaining the strength as she comes right up the Jersey coast and right into NYC.

IMO, take off 15-20mph from what's occuring in NC and that's what we should expect.

I agree with this. Our area should be in the RFQ and if that core holds together thats the money spot right now It won't last long, but we should be able to see it.

There is going to be hours and hours of TS wind with a ton of rain, perfect recipe for a lot of tree damage.

I'm thinking it'll be 70-75mph or so sustained when it gets here. I think it'll be slow to spin down overall as it should remain just offshore the Delmarva/NJ etc. Again, NHC has it arriving here around 7-8am tomorrow, which is very bad news for the high tide cycle. Models are a little slower, but given where Irene is now and the likelihood she will start to accelerate, I could definitely see it here in 24 hours.

My concern is people thinking oh its weakening and them not taking it that seriously. My brother for example didn't do anything to prepare. I hooked up my 15000 watt generator, brought in all furniture, got water, food(since my food and beverages will be nice and chilly with my generator lol) and parked all cars in covered parking garages around my area. Oh forgot also cut my lawn yesterday haha just incase mothernature couldn't do it right herself tommorow. People do gotta take this seriously though

Flooding is obviously going to be the biggest concern especially because of the interaction with the coastal front which will enhance rainfall even further. Plus once the ground is very saturated, 50-60 mph winds will be all it takes to knock them down which is what I'm expected as far as wind is concerned up here.

I'm thinking it'll be 70-75mph or so sustained when it gets here. I think it'll be slow to spin down overall as it should remain just offshore the Delmarva/NJ etc. Again, NHC has it arriving here around 7-8am tomorrow, which is very bad news for the high tide cycle. Models are a little slower, but given where Irene is now and the likelihood she will start to accelerate, I could definitely see it here in 24 hours.

When Fran came through Raleigh, we only had a few gusts to 70-80 and the tree damage here was epic. We were out of school for 10 full days! Then you guys have to worry about surge and flooding. I remember when I was up there one summer and a thunderstorm dropped 3-4" of rain in nyc. The subway was knocked out all morning. Who knows what 10" of rain could do to that system.

When Fran came through Raleigh, we only had a few gusts to 70-80 and the tree damage here was epic. We were out of school for 10 full days! They you guys have to worry about surge and flooding. I remember when I was up there one summer and a thunderstorm dropped 3-4" of rain in nyc. The subway was knocked out all morning. Who knows what 10" of rain could do to that system.

If Irene's already down to 85 mph sustained (but with the 115 mph gust, I would think that would support a stronger intensity?), I think it will be a high end TS here-so alas, this probably won't be my first hurricane. :(

But I agree about the potential for tree/power line damage. The 3/13/10 storm caused a ton of damage here, and we had mostly bare trees. Peak wind gusts here were around 75 mph. If sustained winds here are close to 60-70 mph, we could still see 80-90 mph wind gusts. We will also probably be very near or over the "eye". The timing of the impact near high tide is quite concerning as well. We're not out of the woods by any stretch, particularly on the immediate coast.

Archived