• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

Would think if the storm hugs the coast then the jackpot amounts could be up in NW NJ through the hudson valley rather than closer to the city but will be hard to pinpoint who gets 5" as opposed to 10-12" or more

Excessive rainfall outlook, looks like overall they lowered QPF just a tad, these systems are capable of dropping close to 20" under the right circumstances

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

to clarify, I mean in the Danbury metro area. We flood during minor/moderate rain storms, the flooding we get over the next 24-30 hours could be unlike anything witnessed in generations...and this pre-storm rainfall is only adding insult to injury.

Not to make light of the winds which will probably take down large tree limbs and some trees, but I think the main problem for most of us in the northeast with this storm is going to be flooding from the heavy rain. Of course, those near the shore will have coastal flooding, but for most of us, the incredible rain amounts (7.00"-15.00") may be the primary culprit at this point especially if she continues to gradually weaken, which seems likely.

WX/PT

Not to make light of the winds which will probably take down large tree limbs and some trees, but I think the main problem for most of us in the northeast with this storm is going to be flooding from the heavy rain. Of course, those near the shore will have coastal flooding, but for most of us, the incredible rain amounts (7.00"-15.00") may be the primary culprit at this point especially if she continues to gradually weaken, which seems likely.

WX/PT

I agree and with most big storms like this the hype of wind damage usually under performs but the flooding from surge and copious rains under projected. Still think the winds damage will be enhanced by the very wet grounds of late. Looking like a 4 - 8 ft surge into the harbor.

Wow

f24.gif

At 7-8am tomorrow it's basically right on Toms River as a probably borderline cat 1. The city on east is in the right front quadrant and would receive the brunt of whatever Irene has left, right at high tide. NHC pretty much has Irene at Sandy Hook by then. I can't imagine much worse timing for flooding. Wow is right.

I agree and with most big storms like this the hype of wind damage usually under performs but the flooding from surge and copious rains under projected. Still think the winds damage will be enhanced by the very wet grounds of late. Looking like a 4 - 8 ft surge into the harbor.

I doubt the winds will be more than maybe enough to blow a bunch of shingles away/some siding, so structural damage from other than falling trees isn't the biggest concern here. The 3/13/10 storm knocked some siding and gutters off homes and was enough to take off some shingles-and that was about 75 mph in some gusts. The water by far will be the big story.

11 am advisory.

11:00 AM EDT Sat Aug 27

Max sustained: 85 mph

Moving: NNE at 15 mph

Min pressure: 952 mb

Public

Advisory

1100 AM EDT Aviso

Publico

último

boletín Forecast/

Advisory

1500 UTC Forecast

Discussion

1100 AM EDT Wind Speed

Probabilities

1500 UTC

NWS Local

Statements US Watch/

Warning

1100 AM EDT

I doubt the winds will be more than maybe enough to blow a bunch of shingles away/some siding, so structural damage from other than falling trees isn't the biggest concern here. The 3/13/10 storm knocked some siding and gutters off homes and was enough to take off some shingles-and that was about 75 mph in some gusts. The water by far will be the big story.

That was my point but dont under estimate tree and power damage from winds due to the soaked ground. Irene will still pack tropical storm or minimm hurricane gusts especially rfom the GSP east into NYC, LI and S-NE.

Incredible imagery this morning

post-6-0-12292400-1314457455.gif

Looking at how relatively healthy the hurricane has become over landfall id def see this storm hitting us a low end cat 1 storm. This thing is gonna get out on water again too so I think its gonna hold a lot of its steam. Winds on long island tonight through tommorow afternoon are gonna gust to 85-90 mph for sure

people from the south (Florida..etc) and north (nyc etc)..have a battle between them on twitter..saying Cat 1 hurricane is a drizzle.. to stop the panic .. like really? are we comparing a Cat 1 on Florida to one on NYC..its not the same.

but I guess its normal..I remember one time when Orlando,FL had snow showers ..and they were like the world was ending.

Archived