12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup, well the people who were "rooting" for high winds are going to win out over the ones who were "rooting" for high rainfall.  I still want to get 8" of rain to get to 20" though.

I predict NYC and the boroughs get 3 to perhaps 4 inches while N and W gets the big 8-10 inch amounts.We are going to get the stronger winds.

Crazy stretch of weather with three KU with the 12/26 storm having 60kt winds and blinding snow, and now a 65 knt Cat 1 maybe striking the Queens, Nassau border.

It will be hell in Nassau county for 4-6 hours from 4 to 9 AM Sunday. 45-50 knot sustained with gusts to 70 knots. What will happen to Long Beach, Jones Beach and Fire Island ??? Don't want to think about it too much. High tide, not good.

Interesting, if this is still a borderline CAT 1/strong TS, could be talking about frequent 100mph gusts above 10 stories. I really wonder how much roof top debri there is in NYC. I remember the write ups on angela in houston in the 80's, with all the window damage caused by rooftop gravel.

It's going to be like what Wilma did to Miami high rises.

The radar presentation is beginning to show the first signs of the hook east/northeast and then north up the coast that the short term model guidance has been indicative of.

post-6-0-25792800-1314465077.gif

They always seem to do this near land unless there is a strong steering flow, it's almost as if the frictional effects of land make them seek the path of least resistance, that is, just off the coast.

They always seem to do this near land unless there is a strong steering flow, it's almost as if the frictional effects of land make them seek the path of least resistance, that is, just off the coast.

It's amazing to see a natural entity like a Hurricane act like someone who is in danger, steering away from resistance, and putting up a fight to maintain strength, even the ERCs are interesting in that regards.

Archived