• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

What kind of winds can be expected for 10+ stories up in manhattan? Is there an accurate conversion, say if surface is sustained at 50? Will be interesting to see if there is heavy window damage, another factor in that would be the amount of roof top gravel/debris on the tall buildings.

Also does wind tunnel effect tend to increase winds in the city?

It's another Cat so I would suspect if the wind is 50 at the surface, you'd get Cat 1 speeds up there.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

90 mph winds with 110 mph gusts in Cedar Island, NC!

Knabb is saying the storm is going to maintain intensity because of its large circulation, with a lot of it over water and also friction with land on the left side.

hm nhc says only 85mph are the sustained lol

90 mph winds with 110 mph gusts in Cedar Island, NC!

Knabb is saying the storm is going to maintain intensity because of its large circulation, with a lot of it over water and also friction with land on the left side.

I really think when Irene fully goes over water again in 4-6 hours, she will pulse up for a while and look a little better.

Norfolk is at least 75 to 100 miles from the center and already reporting 65 mph gusts. I'd imagine right on the coast to their east is even higher

from wxrisk:

** ALERT *** very good source says NWSFO AKQ and NHC now admits that IRENE is NOT turning to ne and will track trough NORFOLK

Everyone is saying long island with wind isn't it gonna just be bad in the metro area

I really think when Irene fully goes over water again in 4-6 hours, she will pulse up for a while and look a little better.

Ironically her structure continues to improve rather dramatically. I think she should stay in the 85-95 range for the next twelve hours or so at least...

Big downpour in Greenpoint, Brooklyn right now.

Ironically her structure continues to improve rather dramatically. I think she should stay in the 85-95 range for the next twelve hours or so at least...

Big downpour in Greenpoint, Brooklyn right now.

This is a once in a lifetime experience Nik-- to be in the right front quadrant of a hurricane tracking just inland or on top of NYC!

I think the fact that this storm is so large means much of its circulation remains over water even if the eye is just inland and also the frictional effects with the land tightening up the circulation. It should still be a minimal hurricane when it gets up here.

makes sense..rain in a tropical system is always heavier north and west of the eye..strongest winds and coastal flooding is right of the center

Yup, well the people who were "rooting" for high winds are going to win out over the ones who were "rooting" for high rainfall. I still want to get 8" of rain to get to 20" though.

According to the NOAA website you add one Cat if you're at or above the 10th story of a building.

Interesting, if this is still a borderline CAT 1/strong TS, could be talking about frequent 100mph gusts above 10 stories. I really wonder how much roof top debri there is in NYC. I remember the write ups on angela in houston in the 80's, with all the window damage caused by rooftop gravel.

You know, the wind profile has always indicated stronger winds up at higher altitudes relative to what they should be given an 85 to 90mph storm. Since the storm is going to become more barocolinc at our latitude, boundary layer physics apply more and the strong winds could definitely mix down to the surface. Just food for thought.

Archived