Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Somehow I find the hype just a little too much. NOAA is reporting winds of 85 MPH right now, but if you go to Weather Underground's WunderMap, the stations closest to where the eye is supposed to be are only reporting winds of 30 to 45 MPH....WTF?

So far the best rain and storms are angled to southern jersey, not much coming in off the ocean, hope that changes as it comes north and doesnt all go to the west side

I just went through Unc's rainiest months list and remembered how painfully close we were to breaking Sept 1882 record in Oct 2005..... 16.85 vs 16.73 I really hope we get it this time.

So far the best rain and storms are angled to southern jersey, not much coming in off the ocean, hope that changes as it comes north and doesnt all go to the west side

That isn't going to change - in fact most of LI probably won't see more than 3-5 inches where nw nj will get 10"+

Somehow I find the hype just a little too much. NOAA is reporting winds of 85 MPH right now, but if you go to Weather Underground's WunderMap, the stations closest to where the eye is supposed to be are only reporting winds of 30 to 45 MPH....WTF?

Check the time stamp. A lot of ASOS stations have been out of service for several hours.

For example, this station which is right near the eye right now has been out since 6am...and even then it was reporting 30mph winds.

http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?site=mhx&FcstType=text&zmx=1&zmy=1&map.x=232&map.y=120&site=MHX

Archived