joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

or if you weren't such a douche, you wouldnt make a public spectacle of that post. I asked here first because people pass reliable information. I'm not asking rainfall totals for the island. Im asking here 1st, "googling" as well....

You asked a good question that really didn't warrant that response man. Your family as well as mine if of the utmost importance and were here to pass on useful information and conditions to the members. Anyway hope you and your grandmom are safe during and after this storm. On the other hand this storm is looking pretty healthy and may hold cat 1 strength as it makes landfall on L.I.

hows the surf looking? So the water level was already a few feet higher?

Huge breakers-probably 7 or 8 foot at least. Surfers having a blast and the boardwalk was packed.The water at high tide made it about halfway up and there isn't another big increase in the sand elevation before the boardwalk and into the street. If the water were 3 feet higher there would probably be flooding already.

NAM over Atlantic City at 12z tomorrow-faster than previous runs. It looks likely that the storm will be probably midway or so up the NJ coast by around 7-8am, terrible timing for surge. You can probably tack 5-6 feet on top of what the low tide surge would be with the lunar effect. In NY harbor it would probably be even worse.

Huge breakers-probably 7 or 8 foot at least. Surfers having a blast and the boardwalk was packed.The water at high tide made it about halfway up and there isn't another big increase in the sand elevation before the boardwalk and into the street. If the water were 3 feet higher there would probably be flooding already.

id love to take a drive down there...will i find anywhere to park?

Interesting how models deepen the pressure as the storm goes north of N.C.

The E.T. transition and the favorable upper air pattern as others have mentioned. People shouldn't be fooled by the 85mph intensity now-this probably has at least significant wind impacts all the way up here. If it's a 70mph TS with gusts up to 90+, that can still do quite a bit of damage, especially on the east side where the winds are enhanced by the north movement of the storm.

Pretty fascinating to follow the WV imagery on a quiet day at work out here in Chicago, the northern outflow channel is clearly starting hook up with the jet streak as forecast by all the modeling. Moisture starting to wrap around center again.

Looks like irene may hold cat 1 strength as it landfalls in nyc/LI then correct?

I would think the top winds for anyone west of the city away from the coast is 70 maybe 75 mph. Wouldn't a TS warning be sufficient? or at this point I guess they would just be nervous about downgrading and having people let their guard down. But as usual if I go 2 miles to my west I'd be in a TS warning instead of the hurricane warning I'm in.

Right, though it's the east side where those 70mph winds would be....

People are already in panic mode all around.. This storm may ride up the coast - just inland

to clarify, I mean in the Danbury metro area. We flood during minor/moderate rain storms, the flooding we get over the next 24-30 hours could be unlike anything witnessed in generations...and this pre-storm rainfall is only adding insult to injury.

Looks like irene may hold cat 1 strength as it landfalls in nyc/LI then correct?

That's hard to say, but possible if good structure is maintained, which is what guidance has been suggesting as a biproduct of the strengthening 250 mb jet streak. For it to keep hurricane status, it would likely need to reemerge east of Norfolk/Va Beach and parallel the coast. SSTs are cooler, but still fairly warm, a buoy off of Delaware coast has a water temp. of 77.

Archived