• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

Wind was wild here never seen winds like that before uprooted an oak tree in the yard was surprised that we didn't loose power only once for 2min. Rain total finished with 6.46'' bringing month total to 16.33''

I'm not that far from you, and I got 8.9" of rain. I agree with you on the wind. It was a lot stronger than I thought it would be. I had 3 oaks fall within 50' of my house. One right down the street from me landed on a car that was driving. Somehow the person survived.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with njwinter and earthlight. The storm was pretty bad in our area. Not only was I busy at the firehouse....clean-ups for landscaping we are swamp. Njwinter do u have power yet? Parents have been without it for 2 days....going to lose alot of food. Not saying that can't be replaced.

I agree with njwinter and earthlight. The storm was pretty bad in our area. Not only was I busy at the firehouse....clean-ups for landscaping we are swamp. Njwinter do u have power yet? Parents have been without it for 2 days....going to lose alot of food. Not saying that can't be replaced.

Yeah by the sounds of it, you guys got hit pretty hard. I wasn't in NJ during the storm so I don't really have a place to comment. Parents say we lucked out big time in Colts Neck as there are tons of outages and trees down across Monmouth. A 20 minute car ride now takes 45-50 minutes due to road closures and other issues. Certainly the worst we've seen in decades.

NWS wind map. 70mph in NYC (buoy). 67mph at LGA, 79mph at Syosset, 71mph at Moriches...

08282011_windgustmap.PNG

That map also shows how winds were much greater along the coast and northern/eastern parts of Monmouth County. Looks like those are sub 40mph gusts near Jackson. Big difference between 45-50mph winds and 55-60mph winds, the latter being more severe. Definite increase from Colts Neck to Holmdel there, and NJwinter I believe is in extreme northern Holmdel, not far from Raritan Bay.

Yeah NJwinter that damage definitely looks like 60mph or greater gusts. Ray - My sensor is 11' AGL which I know isn't the normal meteorological height (33'). But how much would wind speed be reduced given the sensor is in a pretty open area? I'd think maybe 3-5mph at best. As you noted there certainly were a lot of convective induced stronger gusts within the storm, which could have easily added 10mph locally.The lesser damage in my local area seems to confirm the lower gusts.

20' difference near the ground could definitely cause an artificial reduction of 10-20 mph. Think of it like a stream. Very little current near the stream bed, much faster near the top.

That map also shows how winds were much greater along the coast and northern/eastern parts of Monmouth County. Looks like those are sub 40mph gusts near Jackson. Big difference between 45-50mph winds and 55-60mph winds, the latter being more severe. Definite increase from Colts Neck to Holmdel there, and NJwinter I believe is in extreme northern Holmdel, not far from Raritan Bay.

Its not accurate outside of OKX's region. Philly area and points west (Allentown, Scranton, etc.) generally gusted into the 50s.

Was that a weak tornado in Fresh meadows Queens? I was about to make a turn onto Francis lewis Blvd from Union tpke when it hit.It rocked my trick unlike any other wind that night.It was like a truck splashed water onto my windshield for a few seconds with the rocking.It scared the crap out of me.When I made the turn to go onto Francis lewis blvd,I was blocked by fallen trees in the roadway.

20' difference near the ground could definitely cause an artificial reduction of 10-20 mph. Think of it like a stream. Very little current near the stream bed, much faster near the top.

Hmm. I would like to mount it higher, but up to this point my winds have been fairly consistent/on par with the BLM's station. Maybe the stronger winds were just above the sfc with this event.

Was that a weak tornado in Fresh meadows Queens? I was about to make a turn onto Francis lewis Blvd from Union tpke when it hit.It rocked my trick unlike any other wind that night.It was like a truck splashed water onto my windshield for a few seconds with the rocking.It scared the crap out of me.When I made the turn to go onto Francis lewis blvd,I was blocked by fallen trees in the roadway.

I was in that area yesterday and posted a couple pics in the picture thread.

By what I saw it looked like tornadic damage. Trees were scattered in a small radius in all different directions and a bunch of trees and shrub were all twisted up.

Similar to the damage of the N.Flushing tornado of last September. Not as bad as that damage but still similar.

I was in that area yesterday and posted a couple pics in the picture thread.By what I saw it looked like tornadic damage. Trees were scattered in a small radius in all different directions and a bunch of trees and shrub were all twisted up.Similar to the damage of the N.Flushing tornado of last September. Not as bad as that damage but still similar.

I heard the tornado warning on the radio but didnt believe it was going to happen,let alone not where I was driving.If I had made the turn 45 seconds earlier,I could have had the trees fall onto the car and have gotten injured or worse so I am thankful about that.For once in my life,a red light saved me..lol.

I was in that area yesterday and posted a couple pics in the picture thread.By what I saw it looked like tornadic damage. Trees were scattered in a small radius in all different directions and a bunch of trees and shrub were all twisted up.Similar to the damage of the N.Flushing tornado of last September. Not as bad as that damage but still similar.

Great pics Al.I did not see the damage that clearly as it was dark.That does look like tornado damage.

What were the highest wind gusts and highest surge in our area? TWC was reporting a 10.5 foot surge on the CT coast, but the highest I could find in our region was 7 feet.

0800 AM STORM SURGE LONG BEACH 40.59N 73.67W 08/28/2011 NASSAU NY NWS EMPLOYEE STORM SURGE ESTIMATED TO EASILY BE 7FT MSL HERE AND ALSO AT LIDO BEACH. FOR LONG BEACH...CARS PARKED NEAR THE BOARDWALK HAD WATER OVER THEIR ROOFS.

Also, most of the media outlets are still using that 91 mph wind gust as the highest recorded, and they also had a 78 mph wind gust as the second highest from our area, from Syosset, NY. What the highest officially recorded though? 83 mph from Rhode Island?

I really wish I had a hand-held anemometer...could have used it during my video in Island Park.

I'm not sure how accurate those things are :P That said, JFK recording a peak gust of only 59 mph is highly suspect. They are among the windiest locations in the area on southerly or southeasterly winds and NYC and LGA should not have out gusted them.

I'm not sure how accurate those things are :P That said, JFK recording a peak gust of only 59 mph is highly suspect. They are among the windiest locations in the area on southerly or southeasterly winds and NYC and LGA should not have out gusted them.

The tornado warned cell came very close to LGA. That cell crossed near that area and that's when the 67mph gust and 52mph sustained wind was recorded.

I felt that power also a couple minutes later in Astoria.

The tornado warned cell came very close to LGA. That cell crossed near that area and that's when the 67mph gust and 52mph sustained wind was recorded.

I felt that power also a couple minutes later in Astoria.

BTW those were some excellent pics AG!

I think we all gusted into the 60s.... especially since NYC of all places reached 60 :P I'm also wondering if any of those 70+ gusts were verified.

BTW those were some excellent pics AG!

I think we all gusted into the 60s.... especially since NYC of all places reached 60 :P I'm also wondering if any of those 70+ gusts were verified.

I think the highest gusts were generally associated with convective cells which were able to mix down the high winds aloft. Its not impossible for JFK to have missed a really good cell which allowed NYC and LGA to gust higher. I was surprised to see the park gust to 60 though.

I lost power for about 15 hours, came back on at around 5pm tonight. Winds were maybe a hair below 3/13/10 for our area, however the surge was pretty severe. The water came right in at around 830AM Sunday and went up to a few feet deep at one end of my block. Most garages/basements flooded here, but today things started to go back to normal for the most part. The weirdest thing was seeing the sea foam and sand well away from the beach, even at the highest points in town. Check out the photos I posted in the pics thread. The lobby of the Allegria Hotel got completely wrecked, and water lingered there for most of the day. Quite a bit of tree damage as well.

Wonder why the 91 mph wind gust was reported in my town. Check this out.

000NOUS41 KOKX 292200 CCAPNSOKXCTZ005>012-NJZ002-004-006-103>108-NYZ067>075-078>081-176>179-310000-PUBLIC INFORMATION STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NEW YORK NY555 PM EDT MON AUG 29 2011...TWO WEAK EF0 TORNADOES AND A CONFIRMED MICROBURST...BASED ON DAMAGE REPORTS FROM NWS SURVEYS, SPOTTERS, MEDIA, EMERGENCYMANAGEMENT, AND RADAR DATA, IT APPEARS TWO WEAK TORNADOES TOUCHEDDOWN...ONE BRIEFLY IN QUEENS AND THE OTHER IN SUFFOLK COUNTY....EF0 IN QUEENS COUNTY...LOCATION...QUEENS...CUNNINGHAM PARKDATE...AUGUST 28, 2011ESTIMATED TIME...400 AM EDT TO 401 AM EDTMAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...85 MPHMAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...ONE EIGHTH OF A MILEPATH LENGTH...1 MILEBEGINNING LAT/LON...40.73N/73.76WENDING LAT/LON...40.74/73.77W*FATALITIES...0*INJURIES...0*THIS INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TOCHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENTS AND PUBLICATION IN NWSSTORM DATA.&&...EF0 IN SUFFOLK COUNTY...LOCATION...BABYLON/WEST ISLIP AREA TO WYANDANCH/DEER PARK AREADATE...AUGUST 28, 2011ESTIMATED TIME...450 AM EDT TO 454 AM EDTMAXIMUM EF-SCALE RATING...EF0ESTIMATED MAXIMUM WIND SPEED...75 MPHMAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...ONE EIGHTH OF A MILEPATH LENGTH...4 MI WITH INTERMITTENT TOUCHDOWNSBEGINNING LAT/LON...40.70N/73.32WENDING LAT/LON...40.75N/73.35*FATALITIES...0*INJURIES...0*THIS INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TOCHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENTS AND PUBLICATION IN NWSSTORM DATA.&&...INTENSE MICROBURST SUFFOLK COUNTY...LOCATION...OAKDALE TO SAYVILLEDATE...AUGUST 28, 2011ESTIMATED TIME...430 AM EDTESTIMATED WIND GUST...90 MPHMAXIMUM PATH WIDTH...1/2 OF A MILEPATH LENGTH...2 MILESBEGINNING LAT/LON...40.73N/73.14WENDING LAT/LON...40.75N/73.09W*FATALITIES...0*INJURIES...0*THIS INFORMATION IN THIS STATEMENT IS PRELIMINARY AND SUBJECT TOCHANGE PENDING FINAL REVIEW OF THE EVENTS AND PUBLICATION IN NWSSTORM DATA.&&...SUMMARY...OUTER CONVECTIVE BANDS MOVED ACROSS LONG ISLAND AND SOUTHEAST NEWYORK AHEAD OF HURRICANE IRENE. EMBEDDED WITHIN SOME OF THESE BANDSWERE TORNADO PRODUCING STORMS. RADAR INDICATED HOOK ECHOES ANDROTATION WITH THESE STORMS WHICH ONLY LASTED BRIEFLY. THE STORMSWERE STRONGEST OVER THE OCEAN AND QUICKLY WEAKENED AS THEY MOVEDONSHORE. SEVERAL REPORTS OF WEAK TORNADOES AND DAMAGE WERE RECEIVEDFROM THE FRESH MEADOWS/CUNNINGHAM PARK AREAS AS WELL AS THE BABYLONAREA. AN INTENSE MICROBURST ALSO MOVED ONSHORE WITH A SHORTCONVECTIVE BAND ALONG THE SOUTH CENTRAL LONG ISLAND SHORE FROMOAKDALE TO SAYVILLE SHEARING TOPS OFF OF TREES AND ALSO TAKING MANYTREES AND POWERLINES DOWN.$$

<b></b>LIPA is screwed.  I just came back from checking on my parents in Muttontown.  WOW!  Brookville Road has poles snapped wires on the road and trees hanging from wires.  I had to drive under things I would never but was worried about my family. There is no power on Northern Blvd once you go East of E Shore Road.  The only 2 spots that have power are Rallye Motors and Greenvale shopping center.  The national guard should be out as many intersections have no TSLs working and no police directing traffic.  Jericho Tpke by Quadrangle is completely out as well and southbound 106/107 exit is closed.  Trees down on 106 on the right lane with just barriers to alert you, yet it's pitch black.  They have a whole house generator but verizon and cablevision lines are torn apart, so no cable tv/internet or phone.  Had to power up the Directv switch off the generator panel so they have tv to watch.  I say some parts won't see power for a week, if not longer, due to the major infrastructure damage.<b></b>

Th is why lilco went down. There was so much anger and frustration over the slow response to Gloria. Woulda though lipa wouldve learned from their predecessor's mistakea.

Archived