12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is this storm classified as a Hurricane or a Tropical Storm for the area? I would think a T.S, since it made landfall as a T.S and winds never went above 74 mph for a lot of people.

Per Jeff Masters:

...At 9 am EDT, Irene made a third U.S. landfall over Long Island, NY, and New York City, as a tropical storm with 65 mph winds...

LGA gusted to 67mph and over 60 several times.

Match 2010 sucked in Queens. No damage and light winds.

For Queens, Irene rules.

What else is better?

March 2010 had pretty big damage in southern queens with hours of 60+ gusts and peak gust of 73 mph. However tree damage was similar here with Irene with the very wet ground and foliage on trees.

March 2010 had pretty big damage in southern queens with hours of 60+ gusts and peak gust of 73 mph. However tree damage was similar here with Irene with the very wet ground and foliage on trees.

I'm sorry. I shouldve said March 2010 sucked and was a non-event for northern Queens, including LGA and western Nassau north shore.

Irene destroyed that event in this area.

Over the past couple hours, several trees that were weakened by Irene have come crashing down. People are out and about and someone will get hurt.

Winds have been up to 30mph with gusts past 45mph.

While I was surveying the damage in my town, a small branch fell and came within a foot of hitting me. Please be careful everyone!

While I was surveying the damage in my town, a small branch fell and came within a foot of hitting me. Please be careful everyone!

I've had 2 full size trees that were leaning from Irene come crashing down over the past 2 hours and have heard several loud booms in the distance as well.

I'm sorry. I shouldve said March 2010 sucked and was a non-event for northern Queens, including LGA and western Nassau north shore.

Irene destroyed that event in this area.

If I had to issue a forecast to the general public using only two words they would be "March 2010" It would have been pretty accurate and very well understood.

If I had to issue a forecast to the general public using only two words they would be "March 2010" It would have been pretty accurate and very well understood.

There was no event in northern Queens. None.

No winds and little rain. It was a crazy phenomenon caused by the sound.

Northern Queens and western Nassau got only gusts into the 30's and only 2-3" of rain. And we're talking about an areas of close to 1 million people.

Yeah that is what I used to explain it to a lot of people beforehand. Though it is hard to gauge the similarities with the 2 storms due to the leaved trees factoring into things here. I believe they were comparable in strength of winds but Irene caused extensive tree damage to my neighborhood last night. It got really wild and was fun to watch. Though I'm being told we may not have power for several days now..Ughh

Yeah that is what I used to explain it to a lot of people beforehand. Though it is hard to gauge the similarities with the 2 storms due to the leaved trees factoring into things here. I believe they were comparable in strength of winds but Irene caused extensive tree damage to my neighborhood last night. It got really wild and was fun to watch. Though I'm being told we may not have power for several days now..Ughh

And the lines there are underground -- what gives?

Most of my street and surrounding blocks have little to no power. My street is littered with trees, branches, and leaves. It actually looks worse than most other areas. Was at work in Bayside today and nowhere near as much damage over there.

I got lucky because ~25% of my house still has power (1 A/C, TV, and light in 1 room lol). A small part of the roof/wall came off right where the electrical wires run through so one of the two circuits probably got damaged.

Took a picture of my street this morning so will try to post it.

And the lines there are underground -- what gives?

Sometimes there are still above ground lines in small sectors of regions that are predominantly underground. The other issue sometimes is the individual line to a person's house is out, those can take for ever to repair in these events. You usually want to be in an area where a significant portion of the town or establishment is out. On LI you can clearly see on LIPA's map who is up a creek as far restoration and who will be restored quickly. Wantagh has 4,500 out of 6,700 out and no surprise LIPA already has their ETR at 11pm tonight...on the other hand Greenlawn only had 730 out of 5,000...those people could be waiting 6 days.

March 2010 was worse here; a 70mph gust was measured at Rye Playland in SE Westchester. We are further from the coast but probably had similar gusts in the event due to the elevation and exposure of our property. That storm's damage was augmented by the fact that the 2/25 Snowicane had weakened a lot of vegetation, which fell at the first opportunity, which was the March Nor'easter. Gusts in this event were 45-50mph in Dobbs Ferry, but the fully leafed out trees did lose a lot of smaller branches.

Most of Westchester has power, though there are some places that are without.

March 2010 was worse here; a 70mph gust was measured at Rye Playland in SE Westchester. We are further from the coast but probably had similar gusts in the event due to the elevation and exposure of our property. That storm's damage was augmented by the fact that the 2/25 Snowicane had weakened a lot of vegetation, which fell at the first opportunity, which was the March Nor'easter. Gusts in this event were 45-50mph in Dobbs Ferry, but the fully leafed out trees did lose a lot of smaller branches.

Most of Westchester has power, though there are some places that are without.

Last night was probably the worst conditions I've ever experienced. The leaf factor is huge and then the rains were sick combined with. But if I had to guess I'd probably say the march noreaster had equal strength winds at its peak, MAYBE even greater, i cant say for sure though. 70-75 mph wind gusts were littered around my area closeby in 2010.

LIPA is screwed. I just came back from checking on my parents in Muttontown. WOW! Brookville Road has poles snapped wires on the road and trees hanging from wires. I had to drive under things I would never but was worried about my family. There is no power on Northern Blvd once you go East of E Shore Road. The only 2 spots that have power are Rallye Motors and Greenvale shopping center. The national guard should be out as many intersections have no TSLs working and no police directing traffic. Jericho Tpke by Quadrangle is completely out as well and southbound 106/107 exit is closed. Trees down on 106 on the right lane with just barriers to alert you, yet it's pitch black. They have a whole house generator but verizon and cablevision lines are torn apart, so no cable tv/internet or phone. Had to power up the Directv switch off the generator panel so they have tv to watch. I say some parts won't see power for a week, if not longer, due to the major infrastructure damage.

Archived