e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Official Hurricane Irene Live OBS/Discussion Part III

NickD2011

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No I never said that, but the surge was probably a little less since landfall was east of city proper. Winds were more ne until last minute.

Getting some gusts to 70 now in ern mass, but I'm missing it.

LOL not you.... BW= Bluewave. He posted the surge numbers a couple posts above yours :)

What a way for NJ to get its first "hurricane" landfall since 1903 If this thing had gotten its act together further south, it could actually have been a legit hurricane up here, but its fate was pretty much sealed when it didn't intensify as it was supposed to over the warmer waters to our south. If Gloria had taken this kind of track and come in at astronomical high tide, one can only imagine what kind of surge there would have been.

Sundog....for me. March 2010 was better for winds.

While there were some nice gusts I did not get that constant howling wind thatr March 2010 gave me.

I agree. The incredible thing is is that March 2010 saw stabilization effects off the sound mitigating the strength of the winds on the north shore.

judging from my current conditions and the 400k+ without power on the isle, i think those of you further west missed out on the big winds...it has been howling here for the past 5-6 hours almost continuously...looking at the NOAA 3 day history for farmingdale can see past 2 hours gusting to 60+...to me this is impressive. i dont know why people are never satisfied with what they get...a strong tropical storm. it was awesome.

Irene was likely a TS as soon as it exited N.C. yesterday but the NHC kept it a hurricane for public purposes, Irene in general was never really a powerful hurricane, it was barely a major hurricane at one point, it was a large storm though with very low pressures but not what it was forecast to be a few days ago. Hopefully this storm will turn heads in the future and make people realize that they can see hurricanes up here and they are vulnerable, it was also a great test for state officials and a great test to see how the area can evacuate and prepare themselves in the future when a truly devastating storm could really strike.

If NHC kept it as a hurricane for public purposes, why would they downgrade it just before Coney Island landfall? Do you think they believed that it didn't matter at that point?

This screen provides a list of customers served, customers without power, and when available an estimate of when power will be restored in each area. Click the symbol next to a town to view the status of each village.

County NameCustomers AffectedCustomers ServedEstimated RestorationNASSAU

Assessing Condition

ROCKAWAY PENINSULA

Assessing Condition

SUFFOLK

Assessing Condition

I agree. The incredible thing is is that March 2010 saw stabilization effects off the sound mitigating the strength of the winds on the north shore.

It just shows that all the real action is on the south shore ;)

Heh, you make up for it in snowfall. Trust me, hurricanes up here are basically just windy rainstorms. You want to see a real hurricane you have to go down south. Every single hurricane that has ever come up in our area has been transitioning to ET except for Carol perhaps.

If NHC kept it as a hurricane for public purposes, why would they downgrade it just before Coney Island landfall? Do you think they believed that it didn't matter at that point?

exactly-at that point, every had evacuated and plans were in place etc....downgrading yesterday would have been seen as a "calling off the dogs" and perhaps people heading back to their homes etc

Irene was likely a TS as soon as it exited N.C. yesterday but the NHC kept it a hurricane for public purposes, Irene in general was never really a powerful hurricane, it was barely a major hurricane at one point, it was a large storm though with very low pressures but not what it was forecast to be a few days ago. Hopefully this storm will turn heads in the future and make people realize that they can see hurricanes up here and they are vulnerable, it was also a great test for state officials and a great test to see how the area can evacuate and prepare themselves in the future when a truly devastating storm could really strike.

I totally agree with your analysis. They couldn't afford to publically undercut elected officials who were grandstanding undertaking preparedness measures.

haha just wait another 20 years, next time well see winds this strong for this long...are the winds not still howling for you guys? maybe its just out here in suffolk, but it is still INTENSE.

December 1992 will always be the benchmark..... it was far worse than any other storm for us.

December 1992 will always be the benchmark..... it was far worse than any other storm for us.

agreed. But this storm was still pretty cool out here....5+ hours of rain and winds 50-60...ill take it. and didnt lose power yet! it is still flickering every 5 min causing my router to restart which is very annoying...by the lack of suffolk posters im assuming nobody has power anymore

Obviously the more east you are the stronger the storm was for you. Us folks back west starting from Queens and onward saw primarily a windy rainstorm that knocked over some branches here and there and that's it. Yawn.

LGA had one of the strongest winds of the whole storm.

Sustained 52mph and gusts to 67mph. 2am to 5am was wild.

If u were sleeping, you missed it and can't really comment.

LGA had one of the strongest winds of the whole storm.

Sustained 52mph and gusts to 67mph. 2am to 5am was wild.

If u were sleeping, you missed it and can't really comment.

Agreed. The thunderstorms in the bands really enhanced things. You had two TORS last night. The conditions between those three hours were extrememly impressive.

agreed. But this storm was still pretty cool out here....5+ hours of rain and winds 50-60...ill take it. and didnt lose power yet! it is still flickering every 5 min causing my router to restart which is very annoying...by the lack of suffolk posters im assuming nobody has power anymore

I'm in North Bellport and still have power besides a few flickers between 4AM and now. Biggest casualty are the shingles on the roof - a bunch of them are in the backyard.

I do..hehe..Jefflaw doesn't because 80 percent of Smithtown is out..and yes almost half of Suffolk county

NO WAY it was a tropical storm when it left NC. It was around 950 MB most of the time. That pressure normally suggests 100 +mph winds. When was the last time a hurricane had pressures of around 950 MB with 85mph winds?

Archived