• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First Freeze Predictions--when will your site go?

moneypitmike

Quickly approaching the time where folks will tease and ultimately drop below the freezing mark. This is the most frustrating time of the year for me as I am always one of the last to go On the other side of the coin, I failed to reach 70 last October..

Last year, I hit 31.2 on October 19th. I'm going to guess a week earlyier (Oct 12) for this year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quickly approaching the time where folks will tease and ultimately drop below the freezing mark. This is the most frustrating time of the year for me as I am always one of the last to go On the other side of the coin, I failed to reach 70 last October..

Last year, I hit 31.2 on October 19th. I'm going to guess a week earlyier (Oct 12) for this year.

Your location is fun to watch.

I'm going to guess Oct 20 for my yard... I will check with the local wunderground that seems to match me pretty well.

Your location is fun to watch.

I'm going to guess Oct 20 for my yard... I will check with the local wunderground that seems to match me pretty well.

It's funny to always start warm, but then it really lags on the warm up (in full sun) and falls short of the bulk of stations on highs. . I always see the Hubbardston station kicking my butt on the overnight lows. Where is that one located?

70.7/65

It's funny to always start warm, but then it really lags on the warm up (in full sun) and falls short of the bulk of stations on highs. . I always see the Hubbardston station kicking my butt on the overnight lows. Where is that one located?

70.7/65

I have not seen the site itself (Printers Hill), but I know the road it is near (New Westminster Road)... pretty woodsy (most of the town is), similar el to my house, near the Westminster side of town.

Not hugely hilly or in a valley...

Lets all post our first freeze dates going back to 2000.

If we're talking freeze (32F/0C), here's mine:

2000: 9/29

2001: 10/9

2002: 10/15

2003: 10/3

2004: 10/6

2005: 10/21

2006: 10/13

2007: 10/26

2008: 10/7

2009: 10/11

2010: 10/10

FYI, there were several years I noted scattered frost earlier than these dates. My earliest freeze (in the past 26 years) is Sept. 11, 1985 & the earliest I noted frost was Aug 25, 1987 but I that was down the street in a bigger field that is lower than my house.

Using 32F as the benchmark, I'm 13-of-13 for 1st frosts coming in Sept at my current home, though the dates are spread as widely as possible, 1st to 30th. The average is 9/17, but I'm guessing about 9/22 this year. Earlier 32s seem to follow Augusts which have temps under 40. My low so far this month is 45, and though we may better that Wed morning, I'm not seeing sub-40 over the next week and a half. For long-term data I rely on Farmington. Their median for 1st 32 is 9/19. It's been in Sept 89% of the 118 yr record, in August 8% (many in 70s and 80s) and Oct 3%. Earliest is 8/22, latest 10/17 (after hitting 33 three times that Sept.)

If 28 (hard freeze) is the criterion, then I'll say Oct 4. I don't have my avg date handy for that, but 7 of 13 Septembers have touched 28 or lower. In Farmington, median for 1st 28 is 10/3, earliest 9/11, latest 9/23.

I have only been in Peacham for two years so I am still figuring out the microclimate issues. I am in a warm spot for overnight temps as the cold air sinks below me. Last year I noted a frost at the bottom of hill in town on Sept 21 but did not get one at the house until early October. I don't remember the year before other than our getting snow in late September.

I will guess Sept 28 for first frost this year with Oct 4 for first freeze.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived