• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
First flakes in SNE....guess the date of the major climo sites

ORH_wxman

A trace or .4 is useless, wasnt it you that once had a quote in your sig adressing this very issue a couple years back? Who cares about a trace of snow that is gone in an hour, is after xmas before we had anything worth mentioning and it came fast and furious.

This is not a judgement poll...its based on facts. Trace of snow is the first flakes of the season regardless if anyone thinks its "useless" or not. You could start another thread that asks when the first 4" snowfall will be if you'd like.

This is not a judgement poll...its based on facts. Trace of snow is the first flakes of the season regardless if anyone thinks its "useless" or not. You could start another thread that asks when the first 4" snowfall will be if you'd like.

Will, do you have anything archived about the July 10, 1955 snow in Boston? I can't find much other than the stuff on the climo page

I'll take a stab. I think October into early November is dominated by a flat ridge (in accordance with La Nina falls) and above normal temps before things chill down my mid-November.

ORH: 11/15

BDL: 11/23

BOS: 11/27

PVD: 12/2

PSF: 11/12

BOS November 28th

PVD December 2nd

BDL November 16th

ORH November 16th

wow, we were close on a couple! that's freaky

Might be going 50/50 on the purchase of a really nice cabin in Rangeley.

Wonder what I should put in for first flakes up there.........

Better guess soon. Could be before you know it. I would think late September would be a safe bet. Awesome place to go sledding if all the flatlanders haven't destroyed the trails when you get there. I prefer to go up to the Laurentian mountains in Canada but if time is limited and you get lucky with fresh snow then Pittsburg and Rangley are not bad second choices. It would be awesome owning property up there. Good luck with it if you do end up splitting it with someone.

Better guess soon. Could be before you know it. I would think late September would be a safe bet. Awesome place to go sledding if all the flatlanders haven't destroyed the trails when you get there. I prefer to go up to the Laurentian mountains in Canada but if time is limited and you get lucky with fresh snow then Pittsburg and Rangley are not bad second choices. It would be awesome owning property up there. Good luck with it if you do end up splitting it with someone.

Unfortuatnley, it would be due to an inheritance on my wife's friend's side and the other family member is not being interested in it, so we'd buy them out. I stayed there once, and it was a really nice spot. Two bedroom log home, nice deck. 10 acres. Moose and bear galore. It's not right on the lakes, but does it really matter?

75.0/65

Unfortuatnley, it would be due to an inheritance on my wife's friend's side and the other family member is not being interested in it, so we'd buy them out. I stayed there once, and it was a really nice spot. Two bedroom log home, nice deck. 10 acres. Moose and bear galore. It's not right on the lakes, but does it really matter?

75.0/65

mike do you know what elevation of said spot is ball park or more precise locale :)

currently 91/75 in the mouth of the rat, fl

sometime during the 2nd or 3rd week of October, and not from CAA instability grapple but from synoptic/dynamics and a substantial mixing event , with 1-3" 500' and 3-5" at 1,000+ - variable to an inch of glop beneath.

Am noticing the extended range operational GFS loading cold thickness into N Canadian shield faster than normal - which means noting deterministically, but when factored into other global queues is a portent. Colder than normal autumn and a plausible return to persistent EC/OV -NAO counter-balancing flow in the westerlies. We saw a Patriots football game in a wet snow "storm" - if we want to call it that - just 2 years ago, and have had a couple of dusting events in October in the 2000-2005 years, so not unheard of or unprecedented anyway. That combined with the mode of the AO/NAO shifting and neutral weak NINA persisting, are heavily correlated as well.

This year strikes me as an autumn 1995 analog in the 50-75 percentile. Though it didn't snow in October that year, it could have! It came in around the 9th of Nov for the Rt 2 corridor and worked south from that point forward. Similar large scale circulation system that summer leading, with similar ENSO, and though the NAO was still in positive mode then, it did a local seasonal time-span negative jaunt where this time, we actually have the background canvas throwing open robes and exposing goodies - she's coming.

Archived