• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August 2011 General Discussion/Obs

The last few runs of the Euro have been consistent in reestablishing the trough over the Midwest region, which will finally bring relief from this nightmare.

zcpzJ.gif

has decent support from the euro weeklies as well.

Who knows if it's right, but :o

610temp.new.gif

As mentioned above it has alot of support.

Not a pattern change, a temporary punch to the gut ala pre-big ridge in July, but one more advance the 2nd half of August into early September as LC also supposes before some "real" blocking comes back. Though, I won't be in the lakes to enjoy it haha.

This is based off of?

It is indeed a pattern change and one which could hang out for a bit. Euro weeklies for the first time in a while have no above normal temps in this region which runs into the 1st week of Sept. They have us at/below normal. I have not had a chance to look at everything YET ( So i could be off a little ) but so far what bit i have seen i see nothing to suggest the pattern we have been in returning for any period of time. I'll try and look at everything a bit closer later on.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is based off of?

It is indeed a pattern change and one which could hang out for a bit. Euro weeklies for the first time in a while have no above normal temps in this region which runs into the 1st week of Sept. They have us at/below normal. I have not had a chance to look at everything YET ( So i could be off a little ) but so far what bit i have seen i see nothing to suggest the pattern we have been in returning for any period of time. I'll try and look at everything a bit closer later on.

JB on FB commented that this pattern change could be a 2-3 week affair with lot's of rain north of I-70. Wonder if this is a sign for the fall? Would be a huge change from the last several falls of warmer and drier, but probably getting ahead of myself. Love the heat, got my fill of it this summer so bring on the fishing weather I say.

This is based off of?

Good. :) Hopefully it involves some rain in this neck of the woods as well as other places, which looks possible...definitely need some.

General comment but this has been an absolute classic of a summer, plenty of comfortable lake breeze filled days (including a few more days in the 70s coming up), some real heat and good storms mixed in every 5-10 days for good measure.

EDIT: my entire point never goes above 81, let the good times roll.

0.09" at LAF overnight, but all of the local CoCoRahs observers came in with higher amounts. Certainly not a ton of rain, but every amount counts.

8/3/2011 7:00 AM IN-TP-22 Lafayette 2.2 S 0.25 NA NA IN Tippecanoe

8/3/2011 7:00 AM IN-TP-28 Lafayette 2.2 NE 0.26 NA NA IN Tippecanoe

8/3/2011 7:00 AM IN-TP-29 West Lafayette 4.9 W 0.29 NA NA IN Tippecanoe

8/3/2011 7:00 AM IN-TP-32 West Lafayette 2.7 NW 0.32 NA NA IN Tippecanoe

19 days in a row above 85 degrees. Today, if it goes above 85 that will make it 20. (We are progged for a high of 86)

A/C has been running non stop since July 11th.

seeing the 6-10 day temperature map with this region shaded in blue, brought a smile to my face this morning. The "Death Ridge" can stay away.

Overall, with the exception of the power outages, the summer has been interesting, plenty of storms, heat, and breezy comfortable days. After this last couple of weeks, however. I am looking forward to some cooler temperatures.

Today is the 21st consecutive 80+ day at Chicago/ORD.

With the next 7 days expected to be 80+, breaking into the top 10 should be easy.

1. 46 days - 7/2-8/16/2010

2. 42 days - 6/27-8/7/55

3. 34 days - 8/10-9/6/95

4. 32 days - 7/16-8/8/83

5. 30 days - 6/20-7/19/21

6. 29 days - 7/21-8/18/88

7. 27 days - 7/11-8/6/99

8. 27 days - 6/18-7/14/66

9. 25 days - 7/22-8/15/2007

10. 24 days - 7/23-7/26/2005

Today is the 21st consecutive 80+ day at Chicago/ORD.

With the next 7 days expected to be 80+, breaking into the top 10 should be easy.

1. 46 days - 7/2-8/16/2010

2. 42 days - 6/27-8/7/55

3. 34 days - 8/10-9/6/95

4. 32 days - 7/16-8/8/83

5. 30 days - 6/20-7/19/21

6. 29 days - 7/21-8/18/88

7. 27 days - 7/11-8/6/99

8. 27 days - 6/18-7/14/66

9. 25 days - 7/22-8/15/2007

10. 24 days - 7/23-7/26/2005

Interesting that you bring this up, because DTW's streak of 80+ days could end today, we are currently at 79 with that being the high today. Streak would end at 38 days unless we sneak up to 80.

Interesting that you bring this up, because DTW's streak of 80+ days could end today, we are currently at 79 with that being the high today. Streak would end at 38 days unless we sneak up to 80.

Judging by satellite and upstream obs, temps will probably rise 2-3 degrees with partly sunny skies between 4 and sunset. 80 at 4pm so the streak stays alive.

On another note, its incredible how lush and green it is for August. By now you usually have brown crispy lawns, but the wet spring and rainy summer combined with hot humid conditions has kept vegetation unusually green.

Better hit 80 on the intrahour or powerball will have a fit lol.

83*F, lol. :arrowhead:

Anyways, we're poised to break our record number of consistent 80*F+ days (42 days in 1955), provided we can eek out another 80*F+ day tomorrow assuming the stratus redevelops.

We're at 38 days today IIRC.

Judging by satellite and upstream obs, temps will probably rise 2-3 degrees with partly sunny skies between 4 and sunset. 80 at 4pm so the streak stays alive.

On another note, its incredible how lush and green it is for August. By now you usually have brown crispy lawns, but the wet spring and rainy summer combined with hot humid conditions has kept vegetation unusually green.

It was that way for us until we saw that roughly 5" of rain last Thursday morning and Friday morning.

The Euro weeklies are a flop. They completely blew it in July and should get a cold shoulder. Alot of that has to do with summer, it is harder to compensate for and thus, you get basically get muddled efforts. I am not impressed by the "blocking" at all. It is ripe for more ridging. Nice timeout though.

Agreed.

I could in fact see us back in the furnace (relatively speaking) by the end of the month.

Highs for Wednesday 8/3

All-time records:

FSM 115 (old 113)

LIT 114 (old 112)

Daily records:

TUL 112 (old 110)

OKC 109 (old 106)

DFW 109 (old 107)

SHV 109 (old 104)

MEM 106 (old 103)

Ft. Smith is sitting at 113 F (their old all-time high with over a century of records) at 7pm.

I can't remember the last time it has been this "green" in August. Lawns are so lush it looks like Spring. Other than the two week dryspell... the wetness continues in northern ohio. I noticed the lake surface is around 80. This is becoming a common occurence.

Archived