Most Online
    wigl5l6k
    Newest Member
    wigl5l6k
August 2011 General Discussion/Obs

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to believe summer is almost OVA Motherfookers! :thumbsup: Wont be long and those cold fonts will have a extra bit of oomph.. Looks like a few hot days to start the month and then back to more avg stuff. Hope the heat returns right around the 15th before going up north for 10 days.

Hard to believe summer is almost OVA Motherfookers! :thumbsup: Wont be long and those cold fonts will have a extra bit of oomph.. Looks like a few hot days to start the month and then back to more avg stuff. Hope the heat returns right around the 15th before going up north for 10 days.

It's appropriate for me to mention here that I've been doing some digging through old winter storm threads that I have never seen on Eastern, and it always makes for some humorous times. I have never been part of a weather message board until Americanwx this year, so it was fun watching the conversations of snowstorms of old progress, especially with all the action there has been over the past five years. Can't wait to do it again this winter. If you want, we could continue this conversation on another thread, as I don't want to hijack an August discussion thread.

With seemingly no end in sight to the death ridge...a cursory look at some of the hottest Augusts on record at LAF since 1964. Again, some missing data, sketchiness, etc etc...

2010 - 76.8º

2007 - 77.9º

1995 - 81.0º

1988 - 76.9º

1983 - 79.6º

1980 - 76.6º

1975 - 76.3º

Top 10 hottest Augusts for Indianapolis...

1936 - 80.5º

1983 - 80.1º

2007 - 80.0º

1995 - 79.6º

2010 - 79.5º

1900 - 79.4º

1947 - 79.0º

1918 - 78.4º

1881 - 78.0º

1872 - 77.7º

0z NAM rolled in with 98 for ORD and 101 for MLI on Tuesday.

Ridiculous 850mb temps forecast too. Highest that I can remember of the season so far in this area. We're not going to mix out that high, but still impressive. Looks like dews will be above 75 as well, so heat indices will probably be well above 110.

00z NAM also has KC above 110 as well, but at least dews will be sub 60 there. :popcorn:

Some of the point and click forecasts for much of Oklahoma aren't all that much different than the forecast for Death Valley CA.

Here's the forecast for the upcoming week at Death Valley. Really not all that much different than portions of southern Kansas and Oklahoma lol.

Overnight: Partly cloudy, with a low around 87. Southeast wind around 7 mph.

Monday: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms after 11am. Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 111. Calm wind becoming south southeast between 6 and 9 mph.

Monday Night: A 20 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 11pm. Partly cloudy, with a low around 90. South southeast wind between 5 and 8 mph.

Tuesday: Mostly sunny and hot, with a high near 115. South southeast wind between 3 and 5 mph.

Tuesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 89. Southeast wind between 3 and 11 mph.

Wednesday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 116.

Wednesday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 86.

Thursday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 117.

Thursday Night: Mostly clear, with a low around 86.

Friday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 116.

Friday Night: Clear, with a low around 86.

Saturday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 115.

Saturday Night: Clear, with a low around 86.

Sunday: Sunny and hot, with a high near 115.

It's probably wrong, but the 12z Euro has 10 day total QPF of 2"+ for central Indiana. There is some hope anyway...

seen that and gl! Be nice to have a wet august to hopefully get your courses back for a really busy fall. I always loved golf the best in the fall with the changing foliage.. Just hate trying to find the ball sometimes in the downed leaves.

seen that and gl! Be nice to have a wet august to hopefully get your courses back for a really busy fall. I always loved golf the best in the fall with the changing foliage.. Just hate trying to find the ball sometimes in the downed leaves.

Thanks BowMe. Yeah the greens around here need the rain...the supers do as good of a job as they can, but mother nature needs to play ball too. And I agree about Fall golf...my favorite time of the year to play too. Leaves though are a PITA.

Anyway, off to my friend's pool for a little evening cooling off/swimming and :beer:

Learn to hit on the green man...take lessons so your handicap won't suck.

Is the definition of a heat wave, 3 straight days at or above 90, just used in the northern parts of the US? I'd imagine the criteria has to be different in the the South and Plains? It seems that based on that definition for many places in the US, a heat wave and summer are the same thing.

Archived