• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dump Trump
    Newest Member
    Dump Trump
August 2011 General Discussion/Obs

I can't remember the last time it has been this "green" in August. Lawns are so lush it looks like Spring. Other than the two week dryspell... the wetness continues in northern ohio. I noticed the lake surface is around 80. This is becoming a common occurence.

CLE is only about 2.5" away from the yearly precipitation average. So unfortunate that the wet spell kicked in at the tail end of winter. If Lake Erie is running big departures come mid fall, get ready. Otherwise, a cold fall can drop those lake temps big time. We are less than 3 months away from the accumulating snow season, time flies.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm praying we can eek out an 80*F today, that way we can still surpass the highest number of CONSECUTIVE 80*F+ days. It won't count if we miss the mark today (Despite us getting well into the 80s the next 5 days), even with just a 79*F.

It'll be close, DTW surged 9 degrees yesterday after 3pm with partly sunny skies. Alpena is clear and already 80.

It'll be close, DTW surged 9 degrees yesterday after 3pm with partly sunny skies. Alpena is clear and already 80.

At least over here on the east side skies have cleared out with the stable air moving in off Lake St. Clair. The Airport is still broken though.

None the less they've jumped to 76*F, so maybe...

83*F, lol. :arrowhead:

Anyways, we're poised to break our record number of consistent 80*F+ days (42 days in 1955), provided we can eek out another 80*F+ day tomorrow assuming the stratus redevelops.

We're at 38 days today IIRC.

Forecast high of 80* for DTW today :yikes:

Nail biter

It's going to make me think of fall football weather, then I'm going to get knocked off my feet with 100's when I go back to Norman in 2 weeks lol

That is going to be a brutal wake up there, I hope you don't burst into flames upon arriving back at OU :arrowhead:

I said it earlier today to a friend...normal people weather blows. Sure its nice out but give me some excitement or something to follow. A pattern like this makes you want a storm off the west coast wondering if its gonna be a cutter in mid january.

Agree, boring weather is an observer's worst nightmare, I'll take exciting weather over boring weather every day.

FWIW...

The ECMWF ensembles bring the heat back around mid month, with the mean showing a nearly 600dm ridge centered over IL/MO on Aug 17.

The monthly brings the warmth/heat back in after the 20th and on into at least early September.

The latest weeklies have gone a bit warmer as well in week 2 and 4. Nothing extreme but still slightly above normal temps get back into the S.Lakes anyways.

The latest weeklies have gone a bit warmer as well in week 2 and 4. Nothing extreme but still slightly above normal temps get back into the S.Lakes anyways.

Have the euro weeklies remained consistent this summer? Also do you think the warm up projected by the euro ensembles is correct or will the -NAO beat it down somewhat? Thanks

I can't remember the last time it has been this "green" in August. Lawns are so lush it looks like Spring. Other than the two week dryspell... the wetness continues in northern ohio. I noticed the lake surface is around 80. This is becoming a common occurence.

Must just be a local thing for you guys... I don't think most of northern Ohio is green and lush. I was up in northwest Ohio a couple weeks ago and it was bone dry. It's also extremely dry in northeast Ohio near the PA border. Most recent drought monitor shows moderate drought (D1) along the PA border with abnormal dryness (D0) surrounding it. Also shows D0 and D1 becoming fairly widespread in the northwest, especially near the IN border.

http://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/DM_state.htm?OH,MW

A lovely, furnace-like 105 at Will Rogers for the 1PM ob. This is bull****. Ready for some football weather.

Today is #11 in a row, #43 in total of 100 degree days this Summer. 7 more days to tie that all-time record of 50 days in 1980. I've suffered through this Summer, so we better break that freaking record. :axe:

Must just be a local thing for you guys... I don't think most of northern Ohio is green and lush. I was up in northwest Ohio a couple weeks ago and it was bone dry. It's also extremely dry in northeast Ohio near the PA border. Most recent drought monitor shows moderate drought (D1) along the PA border with abnormal dryness (D0) surrounding it. Also shows D0 and D1 becoming fairly widespread in the northwest, especially near the IN border.

http://droughtmonito...state.htm?OH,MW

The dryness is limited to the far western and eastern parts of the state. The central portion of the state has been wet most of the summer. CLE is just 2 inches away from their annual precip average. I don't think there is one location in the state that is running an annual precip departure. So no, its not just a local thing.

FWIW...

The ECMWF ensembles bring the heat back around mid month, with the mean showing a nearly 600dm ridge centered over IL/MO on Aug 17.

The monthly brings the warmth/heat back in after the 20th and on into at least early September.

Of course it does....

Just in time for school to start. Looking at the GFS it isn't showing temps to be too extreme, maybe mid 80's with a run at 90 here and there? I am looking forward to next week....so looking forward to next week.

Today is day 41 of the 80+ streak at DTW, tomorrow will tie the record. Looks like it should live on for quite a bit.

Through at least Sunday the 80*F+ days will continue, which would still safely break the record.

Monday especially is iffy, but if it does make it to 80*F+ it should continue through Wednesday.

Archived